Haus of Gloi Pumpkin Butter

4.6

Water, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, cucurbita pepo (pumpkin) seed oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glyceryl stearate, PEG 100 stearate, glycerin, cyclopentasiloxane, behenyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol (and) caprylyl glycol (paraben and formaldehyde free preservative), hydrolyzed cucurbita pepo (pumpkin) seed extract, tocopherol, tetrasodium EDTA, xanthan gum, citric acid

on 2/19/2015 9:23:00 AM

Currently I am suffering through the doldrums of a prototypical Upstate New York February. Spring is still too far away to taste, and the holidays are a hazy dream. The allure of carbohydrates is unquestionable; Netflix is my only friend. So clearly the skin on every part of my body is rough, itchy, scaly, you name it. Blah.

When the chips are down (I know, I'm being dramatic) it's really great to know you can rely on a product to not only soothe and moisturize your dry skin, but to also make you feel good about supporting a worthy indie brand. Haus of Gloi offers a truly superior product that is SO so sooooo fun to use. The pumpkin butters come in a variety of fragrances (unscented too, obv) and smooth on creamily, luxuriously, quenching your skin (like literally, I can feel my skin drinking it) without leaving it greasy. The butters are absorbed almost immediately; there's no film at all -- they leave almost a creamy-powdery texture. The packaging is a sturdy plastic tub with adorable old-timey labels and great scent descriptions. The butters come in two sizes (the small size is good to keep at work, and to try a bunch of different scents), and I find them very affordable for something I consider a treat to use. I've ordered several times and I've never had any issues with shipping -- it's always timely, the butters come packaged in appropriately sized boxes (I'm giving you a huge fisheye, Amazon) with little freebies like perfume oil samples and Japanese candies. And a cute little handwritten thank you note.

Check out their website, they have a large roster of permanent scents and do lovely seasonal updates. These are the scents I've tried: Samhain, Saft Ernte, Olde Cider Haus (Autumn scents), Eggnog (Holiday -- my absolute FAVE, it smells amazing), Troika, Apothecary (2nd fave). The trick, as with all scented things, is to find the fragrance that works for you -- of course, you won't love all of them. I will say that I've sampled a wide array of indie perfume brands, and Haus of Gloi fragrances never have a rank base oil situation or turn funny on my skin. They're all vegan too, if that is important to you.

They have many other great products, but I consider these pumpkin butters to be their standout and they're definitely one of my HGs for all seasons. I sincerely don't know why I woke up today and felt compelled to write a Haus of Gloi love letter lol, but seriously, they're a great company, treat yo' self.

on 11/27/2014 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For reference - I have dehydrated skin, eczema, and am sensitive to scents. I use the HoG pumpkin butter in aether (no scent).

Pumpkin butter as moisturizing as any body butter I've used but without the greasy feeling. It absorbs quickly (I can use this on my hands and then go on to use my phone in a minute without any telltale lotion marks) and does not leave any perceptible film on my skin. It deserves every single rave it has ever received and with this I can disguise myself not only as a normal human but a well-moisturized one at that. I definitely smell a (somewhat cloyingly) sweet pumpkin scent upon application which fortunately fades so I can't smell it unless my nose is about 3" away.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Mark my words...once you go "Gloi" you never ever go back!! Excuse the bad pun;-)

Recently, I've been getting into indie perfume oils and Haus of Gloi was a brand I stumbled upon while browsing the Reddit beauty boards. Their products are Vegan and the packaging has a unique gothic/apothecary aesthetic that's adorable! Currently, they sell their wide variety of butters, oils, scrubs, and soaps online at their website and turn-around-time is 5-7 days before they ship your order because everything is handmade.

I think I'm in love and slightly obsessed since I placed my first order a month ago! My wallet really hates me right now and I'm already planning my next order when their fall scents come out! The pumpkin butter imo truly steals the show and is an HG product for me. My skin is very sensitive and I tend to avoid fragranced lotions because they break my body out in acne or make me itchy. This is the first brand that hasn't irritated my skin at all and the ingredients truly soften and improve your skin over time, instead of drying it out like conventional brands do.

The scents I have tried (so far) are
Komodo- Summer LE (dragon's blood, mangosteen, and tropical blooms) This one is very strong and reminds me of a tropical breeze and incense. It makes a statement.
Beguiled- Summer LE (buttermilk lemon cake with raspberry coulis and pink peppercorn) My favorite cuz it smells like the yummiest bakery in town!

I love both scents that I chose and have tried a bunch of other fragrances they offer in oil and scrub form, but the pumpkin butters are truly superior. If you are looking for a indie, small business that offers completely unique scent experiences then try HoG, you are going to love it and they specialize in seasonal scents, which means there is always something new to try---before they sell out!

on 3/25/2014 9:34:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I've finished up a small pot of Imp. Not too fond of the scent, the texture is pretty thick, a little greasy. Very moisturizing, the scent quite strong and lingering. I have very dry skin and do like this.

Currently using Satyr, love love the scent. It's a mix of orange and vanilla, something warm and comforting. I'm trying vice next because I love the scent if chocolate.

on 2/20/2014 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really liked this product. It's thick and moisturizing but won't leave your skin feeling greasy. Thick creams usually sit on my skin while this sinks right in. I use this for any dry or rough spots and around my eyes. I have KP on my arms and this has definitely helped although it's not a miracle product. Just a very good moisturizer! I have the unscented version, Aether.

On another note, I used this for shaving my legs in the shower and the pumpkin butter works like a charm for this, too! It's slick enough but won't wash off straight away with the water. So if you have very dry skin, I'd imagine you could use this as a conditioning shower product as well as shaving. I'll definitely repurchase but unfortunately they sometimes seem not to have the unscented version on sale - big minus! :(

on 2/3/2014 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Haus of Gloi is a fairly recent indie brand I've tried out, but I already know that I love their formulas and scents. I got their pumpkin butter to use as mainly for my legs - my legs tend to get very dry and itchy, especially overnight - and the consistency is perfect. It's a bit heaver than lotion, but nowhere near as thick and frosting-like as some body butters can get. The company is paradise for those into unusual scents, which evoke images of vintage apothecary with a side of gothic. For those who would prefer unscented, try Aether. In their body butter formula, I've tried: Lichti Milk Tea, Honeysuckle Lemon, Elevenses (orange cakes, sugar-coated almonds, black tea), and Satyr (blood orange, vanilla). For those who prefer lotion, I've tried both Moon Dog (coconut, sandalwood, nutmeg, clove) and Troika (almond, oat, coconut milk, agave nectar, clean white) - both of which are heavenly - in their body emulsion formula. As an addendum, I'd also highly recommend their sugar exfoliant in Absinthe. Nice products! They offer mini 2 oz. sizes, which are great for a trial.

This one of my favorite lotions. It is not as thick as body butter, but not as thin as lotion. Regular lotion tends to be too thin and not moisturizing enough for my taste, so when body butter is too heavy for me, I reach for this. I have repurchased a few times in a variety of scents. They come in 6oz and 2oz screw-top jars with safety seals. The full size jars are ten dollars. Haus of Gloi is a small indie vegan company, so anything you buy from them will be cruelty-free. Their labels are intricate and I like the aesthetic of this company. I wish they had more foody/sweeter scents and that they were a little cheaper, but I understand that the pricing is because they are handmade and it is a small company. I recommend this product and company.

on 4/19/2013 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I just received it in the mail yesterday and tried it on today, so I thought that I would give this a review soon. :)

I bought this in the two ounce version of Aether, which is the unscented formula, because I had run out of unscented lotion and couldn't wear any perfume for a while. The pumpkin butter is artfully packaged in a small jar and is convenient to carry around and open.

The pumpkin butter isn't as thick as I expected it to be upon application. It melts softly into your skin, leaving it silky and smooth and I love the way my legs feel at the moment. Although the jar is unscented and I detect no smell in the bottle, my skin smells oddly sweet, maybe because of the shea butter. Thankfully, the scent fades away after a while.

I will use it more often and update on how long the jar lasts, because I feel like this is too soon to be writing a review.

However, I really like this lotion and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new from an interesting indie company.

on 4/13/2013 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought the pumpkin butter and sugar scrub is Twice Is Nice and boy do I love them! The scent is amazing and works really well with my body chemistry, it also is pretty lasting so when I use this I can skip perfume. I've gotten a few "You smell nice what is it that you're using?!". The pumpkin butter is amazing, I have extremely dry hands and I've tried so many hands cream ranging from cheap to really expensive and nothing has worked, using the pumpkin butter my hands instantly felt and look better now I use this everywhere and a little bit definitely goes a long way. I love that the pumpkin butter works so well that I don't have to slather it on all day, every single day, when I notice something getting dry I can put a little on and it stays nice and soft forever! Their sugar scrub is equally amazing, the texture is very smooth and glides over your skin. It's not crumbly and hard to use like most sugar scrubs I've used and a little bit of this actually goes a long way as well, and it leaves me so soft and moisturized, after using this just once I noticed my dry patches were eradicated. Another awesome thing is that they refunded me the shipping difference, I was charged $8 for shipping but when shipping only cost $4 they sent the difference back to me which I thought was pretty awesome! Their turn around time is also something awesome, most Indie companies have a long wait time till they can ship out their products because they are usually just one or two people. I received my package in like 5 days, the same amount of time it takes for a large company to get something to me. I can't wait to try their other scents and products, I highly recommend this company!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I learned about Haus of Gloi through my random scrolling through MUA boards and bought a bunch of samples with my first available paycheck. I got the pumpkin butter in Troika (just because everyone's all, Troika Troika Troika). Although I didn't like the particular smell that I chose, I will definitely be repurchasing this due to how well it works (probably in madcap garden, aether, and a foody one like vice or depravity). Just like other reviews have said, this goes on thick and actually sinks into your skin. Mine was glowing even after I rubbed it in and it still feels heavenly-soft to the touch, smooth but not greasy. I found the body emulsion greasy initially but then I worked it into my skin more and the greasy feeling disappeared-but I still prefer the pumpkin butter for going into the skin. It actually feels like the butter went into each little skin cell and plumped it up :). I highly recommend trying out the Haus. Once you find a scent you love, you can get the pumpkin butter to match and walk around cockily knowing that no one around (or very few people around) smell as uniquely and cruelty-freely good as you. How fucking great is that?

More about Troika: The smell was predominantly almond over the coconut and oat and eventually went marzipan to my nose, but I've never been an almond fan, so if you are, it should satisfy you with its almond-ness. I checked out dozens (or as many as I could) of HoG reviews before I made my selection, so I definitely recommend perusing the internet/MUA to get a sense of the different scents before making your order. Try at least three different kinds!