November 29, 2014 | 907 users online

Moisturizers - Haus of Gloi Pumpkin Butter

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2014 1:33:00 AM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference - I have dehydrated skin, eczema, and am sensitive to scents. I use the HoG pumpkin butter in aether (no scent).

Pumpkin butter as moisturizing as any body butter I've used but without the greasy feeling. It absorbs quickly (I can use this on my hands and then go on to use my phone in a minute without any telltale lotion marks) and does not leave any perceptible film on my skin. It deserves every single rave it has ever received and with this I can disguise myself not only as a normal human but a well-moisturized one at that. I definitely smell a (somewhat cloyingly) sweet pumpkin scent upon application which fortunately fades so I can't smell it unless my nose is about 3" away.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 6:44:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

Mark my words...once you go "Gloi" you never ever go back!! Excuse the bad pun;-)

Recently, I've been getting into indie perfume oils and Haus of Gloi was a brand I stumbled upon while browsing the Reddit beauty boards. Their products are Vegan and the packaging has a unique gothic/apothecary aesthetic that's adorable! Currently, they sell their wide variety of butters, oils, scrubs, and soaps online at their website and turn-around-time is 5-7 days before they ship your order because everything is handmade.

I think I'm in love and slightly obsessed since I placed my first order a month ago! My wallet really hates me right now and I'm already planning my next order when their fall scents come out! The pumpkin butter imo truly steals the show and is an HG product for me. My skin is very sensitive and I tend to avoid fragranced lotions because they break my body out in acne or make me itchy. This is the first brand that hasn't irritated my skin at all and the ingredients truly soften and improve your skin over time, instead of drying it out like conventional brands do.

The scents I have tried (so far) are
Komodo- Summer LE (dragon's blood, mangosteen, and tropical blooms) This one is very strong and reminds me of a tropical breeze and incense. It makes a statement.
Beguiled- Summer LE (buttermilk lemon cake with raspberry coulis and pink peppercorn) My favorite cuz it smells like the yummiest bakery in town!

I love both scents that I chose and have tried a bunch of other fragrances they offer in oil and scrub form, but the pumpkin butters are truly superior. If you are looking for a indie, small business that offers completely unique scent experiences then try HoG, you are going to love it and they specialize in seasonal scents, which means there is always something new to try---before they sell out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've finished up a small pot of Imp. Not too fond of the scent, the texture is pretty thick, a little greasy. Very moisturizing, the scent quite strong and lingering. I have very dry skin and do like this.

Currently using Satyr, love love the scent. It's a mix of orange and vanilla, something warm and comforting. I'm trying vice next because I love the scent if chocolate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 3:53:00 AM More reviews by solai

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really liked this product. It's thick and moisturizing but won't leave your skin feeling greasy. Thick creams usually sit on my skin while this sinks right in. I use this for any dry or rough spots and around my eyes. I have KP on my arms and this has definitely helped although it's not a miracle product. Just a very good moisturizer! I have the unscented version, Aether.

On another note, I used this for shaving my legs in the shower and the pumpkin butter works like a charm for this, too! It's slick enough but won't wash off straight away with the water. So if you have very dry skin, I'd imagine you could use this as a conditioning shower product as well as shaving. I'll definitely repurchase but unfortunately they sometimes seem not to have the unscented version on sale - big minus! :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by heyjoni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Haus of Gloi is a fairly recent indie brand I've tried out, but I already know that I love their formulas and scents. I got their pumpkin butter to use as mainly for my legs - my legs tend to get very dry and itchy, especially overnight - and the consistency is perfect. It's a bit heaver than lotion, but nowhere near as thick and frosting-like as some body butters can get. The company is paradise for those into unusual scents, which evoke images of vintage apothecary with a side of gothic. For those who would prefer unscented, try Aether. In their body butter formula, I've tried: Lichti Milk Tea, Honeysuckle Lemon, Elevenses (orange cakes, sugar-coated almonds, black tea), and Satyr (blood orange, vanilla). For those who prefer lotion, I've tried both Moon Dog (coconut, sandalwood, nutmeg, clove) and Troika (almond, oat, coconut milk, agave nectar, clean white) - both of which are heavenly - in their body emulsion formula. As an addendum, I'd also highly recommend their sugar exfoliant in Absinthe. Nice products! They offer mini 2 oz. sizes, which are great for a trial.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by makeupmistress666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This one of my favorite lotions. It is not as thick as body butter, but not as thin as lotion. Regular lotion tends to be too thin and not moisturizing enough for my taste, so when body butter is too heavy for me, I reach for this. I have repurchased a few times in a variety of scents. They come in 6oz and 2oz screw-top jars with safety seals. The full size jars are ten dollars. Haus of Gloi is a small indie vegan company, so anything you buy from them will be cruelty-free. Their labels are intricate and I like the aesthetic of this company. I wish they had more foody/sweeter scents and that they were a little cheaper, but I understand that the pricing is because they are handmade and it is a small company. I recommend this product and company.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2013 8:14:00 PM More reviews by nailgrl81

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just received it in the mail yesterday and tried it on today, so I thought that I would give this a review soon. :)

I bought this in the two ounce version of Aether, which is the unscented formula, because I had run out of unscented lotion and couldn't wear any perfume for a while. The pumpkin butter is artfully packaged in a small jar and is convenient to carry around and open.

The pumpkin butter isn't as thick as I expected it to be upon application. It melts softly into your skin, leaving it silky and smooth and I love the way my legs feel at the moment. Although the jar is unscented and I detect no smell in the bottle, my skin smells oddly sweet, maybe because of the shea butter. Thankfully, the scent fades away after a while.

I will use it more often and update on how long the jar lasts, because I feel like this is too soon to be writing a review.

However, I really like this lotion and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new from an interesting indie company.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by mrsuhmazing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought the pumpkin butter and sugar scrub is Twice Is Nice and boy do I love them! The scent is amazing and works really well with my body chemistry, it also is pretty lasting so when I use this I can skip perfume. I've gotten a few "You smell nice what is it that you're using?!". The pumpkin butter is amazing, I have extremely dry hands and I've tried so many hands cream ranging from cheap to really expensive and nothing has worked, using the pumpkin butter my hands instantly felt and look better now I use this everywhere and a little bit definitely goes a long way. I love that the pumpkin butter works so well that I don't have to slather it on all day, every single day, when I notice something getting dry I can put a little on and it stays nice and soft forever! Their sugar scrub is equally amazing, the texture is very smooth and glides over your skin. It's not crumbly and hard to use like most sugar scrubs I've used and a little bit of this actually goes a long way as well, and it leaves me so soft and moisturized, after using this just once I noticed my dry patches were eradicated. Another awesome thing is that they refunded me the shipping difference, I was charged $8 for shipping but when shipping only cost $4 they sent the difference back to me which I thought was pretty awesome! Their turn around time is also something awesome, most Indie companies have a long wait time till they can ship out their products because they are usually just one or two people. I received my package in like 5 days, the same amount of time it takes for a large company to get something to me. I can't wait to try their other scents and products, I highly recommend this company!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by hotrocketship

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I learned about Haus of Gloi through my random scrolling through MUA boards and bought a bunch of samples with my first available paycheck. I got the pumpkin butter in Troika (just because everyone's all, Troika Troika Troika). Although I didn't like the particular smell that I chose, I will definitely be repurchasing this due to how well it works (probably in madcap garden, aether, and a foody one like vice or depravity). Just like other reviews have said, this goes on thick and actually sinks into your skin. Mine was glowing even after I rubbed it in and it still feels heavenly-soft to the touch, smooth but not greasy. I found the body emulsion greasy initially but then I worked it into my skin more and the greasy feeling disappeared-but I still prefer the pumpkin butter for going into the skin. It actually feels like the butter went into each little skin cell and plumped it up :). I highly recommend trying out the Haus. Once you find a scent you love, you can get the pumpkin butter to match and walk around cockily knowing that no one around (or very few people around) smell as uniquely and cruelty-freely good as you. How fucking great is that?

More about Troika: The smell was predominantly almond over the coconut and oat and eventually went marzipan to my nose, but I've never been an almond fan, so if you are, it should satisfy you with its almond-ness. I checked out dozens (or as many as I could) of HoG reviews before I made my selection, so I definitely recommend perusing the internet/MUA to get a sense of the different scents before making your order. Try at least three different kinds!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

Scent descriptors that keep coming back to my nose is warmth, wood, earth and citrus, sharp. If those descriptors do it for you, HoG will float your boat. I'll keep updating the review as I try additional scents. My nose: I like spa scents like Cocoa Pink's Green Tea & Mint or Caudalie's Divine Oil, food scents like JR Watkins Lemon Cream and Philosophy Cinnamon Buns, clean scents like Philosophy Pure Grace, Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell & Blackberry and Bay, and warm soft scents like Cocoa Pink's Sigh and marshmallow-y things.

* Liked/enjoyed, no reorder (ie. especially fruity, candy)
** Going to try again in a different format, ie. scent in soft bubbles scrub may be different than lotion
*** Would reorder

YULE
Hearth - autumn home candle
***Parkin – warm, winter spices with a bite. I feel like I’m in England by the fireside, waiting for a warm treat.
Plotter's Breakfast - incense sticks, sort of like the Chinese temple ones except less sweetness

FALL
Pumpkin Queen - pumpkin spice candle

SUMMER
*Beguiled – frosted lemon fruit loop cereal, a warmer scent then JR Watkins Lemon Cream (at Target, lemon sandwich cookie) but I would purchase the JR over this to save some $
*Sanctum – someone’s opinion was watermelon Jolly Rancher, totally
*The Brier Path – earthy but softened by some powdery notes
White Raspberry – medicinal, reminded me of cherry almond amaretto
Zazz -- frozen fruit punch juice concentrate, melting and starting to turn off on a hot sidewalk

SPRING
*Lassi – this smelled like a rainbow of mellow sugar candies like Skittles (instead of just mangoes)
Ploughman – earth in an off way, smelled unhealthy
Selkie – this brings me some image of blue water, sand, and clean linens blowing in the breeze

VALENTINES
***Come Hither - Powdery, roses & honey. Reminds me of the little soaps in the different colored paper packaging you can purchase in the Chinese markets.
Odette - clean, fresh laundry detergent.
Something Hopeful - muted and sweet, laundry dryer sheets.
*Tonic #1 - Mojito on ice and a small fizz of lemon lime Sprite
Tonic #3 – Ginger spicy and dry grass scent.
Who Needs Love – Like those candied chocolate covered cherries nestled in their syrup but replace with raspberries and add an adult perfumey note.
***A SIMPLE ROSE >Butterbomb, like you are surrounded by a multitude of fresh cut roses!

OTHER
Coconut BonBon - smells artificially of white choc and coconut
Salty Caramel - incense and candle-y

GENERAL CATALOG
Absinthe - lemony version of Picaroon
Apothecary - strong cedar and lemongrass. Almost bitter.
Eleveneses - sweet baked goods that is fermenting and spoiling, not to say that's bad. Like walking past a hot dumpster in AZ with baked items cooking in there.
Depravity - going into cool cellars of stored wine at a Napa, woody fermenting red wine scent.
*Haus Amber - surprisingly liked this, musky and almost masculine (it clicked when I passed a guy at work that smelled just like this, then my love died a little for it)
Honeysuckle Lemon Curd - sharp, lemony & honey
Honey Tree – perfumey, floral honey
Imp – reminds me of BBW fruity scents and a little floral of Pier One
Insalata Nocturna - tangy herbal and earth
Peach Mama – could not smell anything else but whiffs of patchouli (not a fan)
Satyr - artificial deep orange scent
Lavender Sugar – very herbal medicinal, nice in a scrub but overpowering as a lotion
Litchi Milk Tea - Pier1 store
Madcap Garden, Moon Dog - forgot
Picaroon - tangy and limely, not soft if that's what you look for
Twice Is Nice – almond and warm sugar cookie (perfume oil), disliked lotion (smelled like honey and milk)
Troika - sweet, almond extract and milk
**Vice - chocolate and coffee, acrid dry down in lotion, will try soap or scrub for an invigorating shower

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No