April 16, 2014 | 2026 users online

Moisturizers - Boots - Aqua Balance Skin Calming Cream for Dry Skin

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Ruth81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Boots Aqua Balance seems to be a relatively new range aimed at those with specific skin issues. The Skin Calming Cream (with the blue stripe for dry skin) is thick, white and unscented in a hand-sized flip-cap bottle and retails at 12.50 for 50ml. The main ingredient in the range is 'Oligo Sea Minerals' - listed as 'Maris Sal (Sea Salt)' on the ingredients list. And therein lies the problem with this product. The thickness of the cream is deceptive - it appears more hydrating than it actually is. I found it struggled to keep my skin moisturised for more than 4-6 hours and I'm not sure the use of salt in skincare products is in anyway effective or even useful for people who suffer from very dry and sensitive skin, like myself. The salt seems to undo any attempts the other ingredients make to moisturise the skin. I had relatively little skin irritation from the product, but my rosacean skin seemed to flare when I used it. My skin became too dry for my mineral makeup to actually stick to my skin! However, I would recommend this for putting on spots overnight - they dried up in no time! This is the only product I've tried from the range so far, so I'm not sure if it reflects the Aqua Balance brand as a whole. It hasn't put me off trying the 'rich' cream for sensitive skin in this range (same weight, same price but in a tub) but the presence of sea salt throughout the line does put me off somewhat. Overall, this is a worthy attempt by Boots to address specific issues with more sophisticated combinations of ingredients (i.e. less mineral oil/petroleum/ethylhexylpalmitate etc.) but it doesn't seem to be very well thought through, since their target audience are those with genuine dermatalogical problems who require more strategic efforts to combat their skin problems and can quickly feel the difference between something aimed at 'minor skin issues' and something cleverly formulated that actually works.