October 25, 2014 | 1722 users online

Skincare - Face - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant FIRMx

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2014 6:59:00 AM More reviews by theperoxideprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I didn't buy this product, it was given to my mom as a gift at Sephora. I tried it out myself, hehe, and this stuff is amazing!!! I could literally feel my skin tightening in seconds. When my mom (46) tried it out, her skin looked much tighter than before. Only downside is that it leaves a white residue on your face. You have to apply a minimal amount of makeup over it in order for it to be covered up. But I am definitely buying this product when I'm older. I'd say it's worth the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by melodyward

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is great! It took awhile for me to find the easiest way to apply. Simply add a little water to product & apply to your face evenly with upward motion to get a lifting look. Then if you apply Dermablend makeup with a smudge brush....I promise you will love the results!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by badb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff would be great for someone who doesn't need to put any makeup or sunscreen or moisturizer on over top of it. If you need anything other than a bare face, forget it! As soon as you put anything on top of this, it releases it's magical tightening properties & you're back where you started, except with some white cast on your skin. Also, if you do put this on & then try to wear foundation over top, it WILL make your foundation look more pale.

I put a good layer of this on my bare skin & it worked to really tighten & smoothe, but that didn't last because I need sunscreen etc.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is an interesting product. I don't have any major wrinkles or sagging issues since I'm only just about to turn 30, but I use this product occasionally for a different reason. Over the past 2 or 3 years, due to hormonal and stress issues, the texture of my skin has completely gone down the tubes. I have always had large open pores on and next to my nose, which are now beyond the point of effectively covering. Recently, some volume has left my face as well, and I've started developing nasolabial lines. I bought this product on a whim to help hide the NL folds when I wanted to look my best during an important conference for work. This product is so bizarre! I applied it to my face once it was completely dry after washing, and it became tight as a drum, in a weird, unnatural way. It looked visibly odd, but I did note that my pores became TEENY. Almost like real person pores...! As others have mentioned, the tightening effect (and texture) of this product is effected by moisture from the products you put on after it. I recently tried putting liquid sunscreen on top of this, and it became oddly powdery like others have mentioned, and I had to wash it off it was so bad. But at the conference, I used a silicone-based primer (Tarte BB primer) without much moisture to further fill my pores, and it further helped the outward appearance of the texture of my skin while retaining the tightening effect. I applied powder on top of this combination for the first few days, which didn't work very well, and on the last day I applied cream foundation, and it was great. The cream foundation is less moist than liquid, but it does affect the tightening effect a little bit. But it actually helped tone down the "alien" look you get when you first put this on. This is probably the combination I'll be using in the future when I need to look great. This isn't an everyday product for me, and obviously I'm not the intended target for this product, but I do think I like it for what I've used it for (although it's weirdly special FX-y and I wish I just had better skin :'( ). I would recommend anyone else with texture/first signs of aging issues to give it a try for special events.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by ythe

Absolutely terrible. Residue won't go away unless you remove all of the product. Instructions say to shake it before use but it comes in a tube and it would be as if you tried to shake toothpaste. Not possible. It dries to a white film and looks obvious. Following the instructions to a "T" didn't help. I'm taking it back and getting a refund.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

There is so much information in prior reviews on this product, I am just going to give my basic "how I use it" and my brief opinion, period. I tested this for a couple of weeks and here are my comments:

1. I found the best way for me to use this is over serum or moisturizer and under primer or foundation (if you're wearing it). I then top it off with a good finishing powder. It works better with mineral powder foundation than liquid or cream due to the residue mentioned in every prior review (and below in my own). But with serious effort it can look great with liquid foundation (a lot of pre-blotting required).

2. It fills in fine lines REALLY well which is very impressive, but I am not seeing a "firming" effect, so I'd call it a serious line filler.

3. There is a funky, dry, cakey white residue you must dab off with water before applying makeup. This is not easy to do effectively or completely which is a BIG negative. However, IF you can successfully combat the residue, the reduction in lines IS spectacular and the "fill in" effect lasts for a long time (all day).

5. I will use this occasionally when I am getting dressed up or for a photo as it's WAY too much extra time and work to use everyday.

6. I got this as a gwp and I think the tube I have will last forever as you only need a tiny, tiny bit. The price ($48) isn't bad for 3.4 oz either. Seriously a lifetime supply!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 3:30:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely adore Peter Thomas Roth's products. I haven't found one I don't like...yet. Not sure about this one. I'm still on the fence about Instant FIRMx. I just don't get it. I want to understand the product. I really do. The idea behind it is wonderful. It's a "temporary tightener", oh yes it is. The instructions tell you this exactly:

"FOLLOW THESE 4 STEPS TO LOOK YEARS YOUNGER:
1. Shake well. Sparingly apply a thin layer to freshly cleansed, dry skin.
2. Remain expressionless. Product will dry within 3-7 minutes.
3. When face feels pulled and tight, look in the mirror. At this moment, you'll look years younger. Enjoy!
4. Use either damp cloth, cotton swab or fingertips to pat away any visible excess residue.
TIPS: Results of INSTANT FIRMx can depend on your skin type. Work with it, using these tips, to find what works best for you.
Apply a thick layer, let dry, splash away excess residue and pat dry.

Apply a thin layer and use a damp cloth, cotton swab or fingertips to pat away excess residue.

Mix INSTANT FIRMx with your favorite moisturizer or foundation.

Use as a firming treatment masque! Apply a generous layer, like a masque, and leave on for up to an hour. Splash off excess residue and experience dramatic firming results. For external use only."

Once applied, you cannot change your facial expression (you better look happy) because this product is going to firm and tighten your lines, wrinkles, crow's feet and whatever else plagues your skin. It does, it really does tighten your skin. It takes about ten minutes for a full dry to happen. Here's the catch, tho. Look in the mirror and your face is now pasty-white, because the FIRMx has dried to its lighter shade. Your skin feels wonderfully tight and firm, but it's now wearing this mask. Now the instructions tell you to use a cloth, a cotton swab or fingertips to remove the "excess" or "visible residue" so you can look human again. Good luck there. I have used all of the above plus facial sponges, muslin cloths, cotton balls and whatever else I could think of to remove it but there is always some still left. Just when I would think I removed all of it, I'd look in the mirror again, and I would see more. Then I tried using different moisturizers to blend the excess in. That wouldn't work, either. And once I started removing it, it would break up into little pieces instead of a layer, so it was no longer a smooth finish. So if I wanted to put foundation on top, the blending was very difficult because the little specks of it would cake off. I finally began using it as a mask, and since I do keep all of my products in my refrigerator, it goes on cold, which feels wonderful. I leave it on for an hour, then take it off with a facial sponge. My face does feel a tad bit more tightened, yes. Does it keep it tightened? I'd say for a few hours. Firmer? Again, a short time. It's a temporary product that gives me a lively lift when I'm in the mood or need for one. As a mask, it feels absolutely wonderful while it's on, and that's what I like about it. There are different types of masks for different needs out there on the market. This is a mask for older women who might need some firming and tightening. It's nice to use to wake up your face, if that makes sense to you. Without a doubt, you feel this mask, in a good way. I've also mixed a very small amount in with different moisturizers and applied it to different parts of my facial areas. It's tricky, but it can be done. A little actually goes a long way, and my tube of FIRMx is lasting me quite some time. Since it has Vitamins C, E, B5 and Vitamin A in it, I know the ingredients are good for my skin. Plus PTR is cruelty-free, which is also why I purchase their products. All in all, an interesting product that grows on you.

Update: 12/26/12
I've recently tried Instant FIRMx Eye Temporary Eye Tightener. Please see my review for this PTR product, as I've had much better success with this one and the formulation seemed different.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by zhaya

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was a bit disappointed in this. If only it would make your face STAY as it looks when it first dries. Of course that is impossible, and I suppose I shouldn't ding the product because it does not perform miracles. But there are a few other problems with it too. I have found it hard to remove by "splashing water" on my face as per directions. It leaves white spots and smears until you really remove it with a cloth, cotton ball, or wet fingers applied a few times. That white residue sometimes reappears later, when you think you've gotten it all off. It does indeed lift and firm your face, and though the dramatic effects disappear as soon as you've rinsed, overall you still look younger and more uplifted for several hours after, just not in a big way. I'd read in some reviews that some people leave it on and apply makeup over it. I did try this, both with and without moisturizer, and found that it still tends to get residue-y. Perhaps if I used it every day the effects would be longer lasting, but I rarely use it. It reminds me of when we were kids and would put Elmer's white glue all over our faces and then pull up our eyebrows or pull down our lips, and things would stay in place.
One other comment, don't be tempted to use this near your eyes for uplift or to disguise crow's feet. Since its action is to tighten and draw as it dries, it ends up pulling the skin under your eyes into a cluster of wrinkles. NOT pretty. To be fair, it did not have this on my younger sister, so maybe it is just that I have more baggy skin under my eyes than she does :-)
One more positive- I used this before a job interview last summer, and left a bit of it on, smoothing moisturizer over it to hide the white residue, and applied some very light creamy foundation. The people there thought I was in my late 30's, not my late 50's-- so for a temporary youthful disguise, go for it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by mladkins

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm going to be a dissenter here and say that I cannot live without this product!! It does take some playing with, and at my age it won't make me look 20 again. But I can definitely tell a difference on days that I don't use it! I tend to use it under my eyes, I use the regular FIRMx instead of the eye because you get more product. Since I only use a tiny bit each day the tube lasts FOREVER. I've had mine for at least a year and a half and I still have lots left. Here's my method:

Instant FIRMx under the eye following morning cleansing. Let dry 1 to 2 minutes while I apply my other serums and creams. Then apply a really rich moisturizer over the FIRMx - I like Weleda Skin Food. Apply concealer then powder (I don't use foundation). Then I dab a little Clarins Instant Smooth directly under the eye to mattify the area and keep the powder from settling into fine lines.

Again, nothing short of extreme measures is going to erase my crows feet. Not even Botox seems to be very effective in this area - that's why I refuse to add the eyes to my toxin regime! But PTR Instant FIRMx helps to take the edge off, and I will take all the help I can get!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by lizindallas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to love it. I put it on and when it dries, it's like every line on the face is gone! Oh wait, but then you move a muscle to smile, frown, talk, eat, whatever... and the effect is totally gone. I tried with light amounts, more amounts, under moisturizer. It just doesn't have staying power and it leaves that residue on the skin.

I think overall the Peter Thomas Roth brand is pretty good. But this one is a dud. Try the nighttime retinol fusion he has! THAT is way better...