July 30, 2014 | 2008 users online

Makeup Brushes - Suqqu - Face Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by jadorelechoc

Costing half a month's rent, being worshipped and hated by makeup lovers for the very same reason (its squirrel hair) and having owned it for a long time now, I can safely tell you, if it disappeared on me, I would dish out the money to buy it again, in the blink of an eye.

Yes, it's a sample of impeccable craftsmanship; yes, it is beautifully made and incredibly soft - both of which are reasons for my admiration. However, the sole reason why I would seek it out if I lost it, is because it's the only tool that has allowed me to use powder and to stop hating powder overall.

Discernible powder on a face is a huge pet peeve of mine, I cannot stand it. I need it to look natural, I need it to be invisible. A good powder is necessary for this task to succeed, but a good powder applied with a goat hair brush or a pony hair brush or a synthetic hair brush, is bound to look horrible (yup, brush snob here). Take an average quality powder and use it with the Suqqu Face Brush, and magic is guaranteed.

I started using up very well reviewed powders that I had in my possession, which I had abandoned in the past because I thought they were horrible. Take all my money Suqqu, take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by astrael_nyx

Overall, this is a soft, beautifully crafted, high-quality brush made of gray squirrel hair. It's also very expensive.

The softness of this brush can't be understated. Many reviewers everywhere have reached for various similes for softness to describe this brush -- kitten's paw, breezes, etc. -- and they haven't over-exaggerated. When I do use my Shu Uemura powder brushes (a rarity now that I have the Suqqu), they're scratchy compared to the Suqqu. The fineness of the hairs which make for such a soft brush also allow you to deposit a very light amount of powder, which is perfect for my personal preference for dewier skin.

The shape of this brush, a fluffy pointed dome, is unsual compared to the rounded powder brushes out there, like the Shu Uemura 27 or 18R. I feel it gives me more control as to where I can place my powder, i.e., into the eye socket and against the side of the nose. The different brush shape means applying powder differently. Instead of buffing or sweeping, I end up gently pressing the powder over my face with maybe small sweeps while the brush is angled acutely to my face, as opposed to perpendicularly to my face.

Also, in a year of use, it has maybe shed one or two hairs, even when I've cleaned it.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a must-buy for everyone. It's difficult to find and eyebrow-raisingly expensive. If makeup brushes aren't something that you adore or you're a beginner to makeup, you may want to spend your money elswhere.

However, if you love makeup brushes and collect them like Pokémon, this is a brush to put on your DO WANT list. I use it everytime I apply makeup. It's definitely an indulgence, but one which makes applying my makup something to look forward to.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 9:25:00 PM More reviews by Guarsriboon

Once again! Its one of the best powder brushes that are on the market! If your budget extends to it, this brush will be the best brush that you ever had. It applies powder products like a dream because of its softness. Good investment for make up brushes, it does worth every amount that you paid! Im recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Mischief_Managed

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is by far my favorite brush. I use it for powder, bronzer, or even a diffused blush look. I will not repeat what has been well covered below, but I echo their statements. This brush will last a very long time and is well worth the investment.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 10:11:00 PM More reviews by nightjm

Like most people, I heard about this brush watching Lisa Eldridge videos and, like most, I was incredibly curious about it. I convinced myself that I needed it - which wasn't very difficult - and I'm so glad I did.

When it first arrived, I was in awe of the glossy black handle and the "kitten paw" softness of the hairs. All 17cm (6.6 in) of this brush was amazing. The handle is weighted perfectly and feels solid in the hand and the hairs are beautifully tapered.

This brush picks up the perfect amount of product. The slightly tapered tip makes it fantastic for getting into the corners of the nose and forms perfectly to the contours of the face for distributing powder evenly.

This brush is expensive, ridiculously so but I don't think a makeup brush can get more luxurious than this. It is the ultimate all over powder brush.

I have had this brush for almost seven months now and it is still as amazing as they day I purchased it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Midgey1

After reading so many rave reviews, and Lisa eldridges shout on the suqqu brushes I decided I had to have one. The only place in the uk that sell the suqqu brushes is selfridges...so I believe. It took me a good month to actually purchase this brush as it comes with a hefty £48 price tag and an additional £5 p&p so it was with great trepidation that I pressed the pay now button... Trying to justify spending £53 for an eye brush.
The brush arrived the next day... Well done selfridges. I was like a child on Xmas morning tearing into the wrapper with excitement and there it was, a plain black box... Just like a mascara box!!! The brush lay inside, no velvet sleeve, nothing, just a brush in a cheap wrapper, my excitement quickly diminished.
The brush... It feels lovely to hold with a good but not heavy weight to it. A black handle with suqqu written on it and a black ferrule, simple but stylish. The brush head is soft, tapered but not to a point it is almost domed shaped but not quite. it looks a lot like the edward bess luxury eye brush but only smaller. it is densely packed.
This brush applies eyeshadow like a dream, It distributes it evenly and sits perfectly in the crease. It is without doubt the best brush I now own, it really has changed the look of my eye makeup, I love it.
Would I buy it again... In a heart beat.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by ammit1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Before I get onto the review of the actual brush I am going to write a bit about the brushes in general and the prices so bear with me. It's mainly aimed at people who are not sure whether to buy or not and it goes over my thought process before I bought them as well so I hope that it's helpful and doesn't drivel on (if it does then just scroll down to the dotty line where I review the actual brush).

These brushes are EXTREMELY expensive, and I mean, *really* expensive. They are made of squirrel hair (I think grey but you might have to check that), they are widely hyped and lusted after, partly for how hard they are to get hold of, party for how luxurious and exclusive they are (i don't think you can get better really) and partly for how soft they are (they really are amazingly soft) but also because they were brought to the attention of many thanks to Lisa Eldridge and her Youtube tutorials - some of Suqqu's brushes are among her favourites, she lists them on her website.
If there is one thing you need to know before you buy these or even think about buying them, it's that you definitely do not *need* them in order to apply makeup well. Other brushes will do the job (which you probably already know), please don't think that these brushes will give you some sort of miracle makeup application, they won't give you that but they really will make the most of your products by applying them smoothly and evenly and blending in the most incredible way.....that means cheap and expensive products!
These brushes are an investment for someone looking for brushes for life imho, I have loved makeup for about 10 years now and show no signs of stopping, my tastes have got progressively more expensive so for me I feel that these brushes were a worthy investment.

When I read reviews for these brushes I couldn't find a single negative one despite actively looking, all the bloggers and youtube reviews said how amazing they were and how soft they were (kitten paws!!), I had to have them!
So, if you're feeling like I was about these brushes then hopefully these thoughts will help you make up your mind.

I'm really trying to write a review with my own thoughts process I guess, I basically spent a whole bunch of my savings on these brushes, the price was eye watering (my eyes were closed when I clicked order)!! If you're not able to buy them from the UK then the price will border on insane (it's already insane). I cannot believe I spent the kind of money I did on brushes, do I regret it? Yes and no - yes because they're BRUSHES and I could have bought so many other things with the money, no because makeup is such a huge huge part of my life... would I do it again? I think so yes, I did try and plump for MAC first as an alternative, but it was quite clear to me that it was Suqqu that I wanted, I could have saved money buying MAC but would I really have loved them as much?? No. I already owned the real techniques brushes and they weren't really cutting it for me that well, I'd rather spend a ton on brushes I'd love than a little on ones that I'd just want to replace all the time.

I spent a long time exploring other options, I was interested in the NARS lineup of kabuki brushes, I read extensive reviews. I went all round the houses and eventually just came back to the fact that it was these, the Rolls Royce of brushes, that I really wanted.

What really influenced me was the incredibly positive reviews from just about everyone who had reviewed them, and they weren't just a bit yay, they were "these are the best things ever and you must have them". They are very very good makeup brushes but they're not enchanted magic wand which I kind of ended up believing when I bought them.

---------------------------------------------------

The face brush cost me £165, it is a full and large fluffy powder brush, absolutely gorgeous to look at. The big thing about this brush (other than the fact the brush is big) is how amazingly light and airy it is against your face, it's the most valuable addition to my makeup stash and I treasure it so much.
The handle is made of sleek black plastic and the brush comes in a simple black box.

I use this brush to apply loose powder, meteorites and also my very pigmented Guerlain bronzer.
It is exceptional (this is an over used word in my suqqu brush reviews but its' true). It's so soft (i've said that before as well). Loose powder goes on incredibly well, it works with meteorites REALLY well imho, when I was using the real techniques powder brush I'd actually stopped using my meteorites because the powder brush was way too dense and firm.
With bronzer this brush diffuses colour amazingly well, it doesn't make your bronzer look orange, streaky or over applied, it really does just apply so gently and beautifully. It can get powder into every nook and cranny as well... I love using it!! I love it.
This brush has enough firmness to apply powder well and isn't floppy at all (which I was a little worried about at first impression).

If you can afford it, and you want to invest, I highly recommend this brush. I honestly cannot say anything that the numerous bloggers and youtubers haven't already said. This is a lifetime investment, I can't see me ever buying another brush like this unless I lose it somehow (and if I did I would be absolutely gutted to the point of crying).
I don't think you can go wrong with suqqu as your choice of brush quite frankly, it's just so difficult to explain in a review without giving you the brush to try.
If I did give it to you then I don't think you would ever want another powder brush in your life again. It is THAT good. I often just rub it against my face because it's so soft and lovely.

The only negative about this product is the price, but its' so difficult to complain about when you have such a unique and wonderful product that will last you a lifetime if you care for it properly.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 6:27:00 PM More reviews by kelleher

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hi guys
The reason why I would not repurchase is because I found a dup!!
Yes the same exact tapered hairs, the same exact hair, the same exaxt softness.
I am a huge believer in the fact that the quality of the brush really does affect the application of your makeup.
So - Just a little tidbit of information I found researching brushes. I found that you can purchase a brush exactly like the Suqqu blush brush that sells for over $200 from Suqqu at the Madison Art Shop for $49!! It is made of squirrel hair and is the softest brush ever and works amazing. You can also purchase brushes from the art store instead of a “cosmetic” brush for way way way less money and they do the same exact thing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by bellyhead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The airy softness of this brush is incredible to feel as it softly dusts powder on your face. The craftsmanship of this piece is incredible. The handle is weighty. The brush head is fairly large, long and shaped. The ends of the hairs are not clipped into shape, but arranged so that the natural ends provide the tapered ending.

The price is incredibly high. This is a serious lifetime investment brush. I bought mine in Japan and I think it is priced higher there than in the UK. If you are going to buy something like this, you should be serious about makeup and familiar with what you want in makeup brushes. If you do buy in Japan as a foreigner with your passport, you can be refunded the tax for it. So don't forget to do that.

I have other face brushes (Bobbi Brown, Chanel and Sonia Kashuk). To compare, this is much softer than any other I have. It picks up a smaller amount of powder compared to the Bobbi and the Sonia Kashuk. The tapered shape allows you be blend into narrower contours of your face (sides of your nose, eg).

Amazing brush!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 2:54:00 PM More reviews by bublebulle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love brushes. I do. Some people collect stamps, others collect makeup - I collect brushes. I started with very cheap tools - the kind of 20 brush sets you find on Ebay for 15€ - but I soon discovered that they performed quite bad (this is an understatement in that particular case) - they did not pick up color well, felt harsh on the skin and did not give good results. I knew I had to invest in some good quality brushes. Little by little, I bought MAC, MUFE, Louise Young, Shu Uemura and finally Hakuhodo (which is my absolute favorite by far). I guess that over time, when it comes to makeup tools, my standards/expectations got pretty high. :-/

I now own about 100+ pieces but I love being in the search for something new - new shape, new hair, new way of applying makeup. So when I saw this brush on a Lisa Eldridge's video, it instantly went on my wishlist.

It's been quite hard to get my hands on it. I had to give a phone call to the Suqqu Selfridges' counter to put it aside, so that one my friend who lives in London could take it for me (I live in France and the shipping cost was £60 at the time!! (not available online yet)). I was lucky and very pleased to deal with very, very nice MAs and had no issues afterwards. But this brush is darn expensive - £168! (around 193€ / US$274). It cost me even more than my most expensive Hakuhodo brush! I thought I did not hear well when she confirmed me its price! I remember I could feel my eyes watering when I paid, but I don't regret I've bought it though. I think the best description I could give you about this brush is actually from the beauty blogger Not Enough Lipgloss: "I think being wrapped & caressed in warm fluffy clouds would be the most appropriate. The hairs are so soft and light it literally feels like gentle air on my face." Yes, this is THAT good! I always look for it when it's time for my face powder. The bristles are soooooo soft that they could send me to sleep...! The handle is not too short, not too long, but I'm always kinda surprised when I hold it as it feels very light - I wish it felt heavier in my hand. Also, it's tapered so more precise compared to other big, fluffy face brushes.
If it wasn't so pricey, I would definitely recommend it but this item is real luxury and I totally understand that paying that much for a brush sounds (is?) kinda crazy, even for a brush lover like me. But I can't help thinking that this Suqqu face brush is just a league of its own - I L.O.V.E it.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No