October 20, 2014 | 2121 users online

Lotions/ Creams - CVS - AmLactin Knockoff

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

For as long as I can remember, I had tiny red bumps on the thighs, besides being told that it could be an allergic reaction or possibly ingrown hairs, not one dermatologist, general practitioner, PA or nurse whom I consulted ever told me what it really was or how to treat it aside from exfoliating and wearing loose clothing. Since it did not cause any issues, perhaps only embarrassment, it is not considered a medical concern. Twenty years later, I come to learn that it is called Keratosis Pilaris and it is treatable.

Amlactin (generic) has worked wonders for me! Using it twice a day, every day, I started seeing an improvement around the second week, the redness lessened and the bumps diminished. At four weeks, I am ecstatic with the results thus far. There are still some bumps but with continued use, I hope that there will be continued improvement. My thighs have never felt so smooth, this. totally. works.

Some words of caution: If applied on irritated skin, it will burn like hell. I don't use it right after shaving. So if I shave in the morning, I'll apply it before going to bed. Also, it smells like ammonia. When I first purchased it, I thought the smell would be a dealbreaker but I got use to it. Using a body mist can help mask the odor a bit.

Tips: save some money and buy the generic, it contains the exact same ingredients. The lactic acid makes your skin more susceptible to sun burn, so always use sunscreen!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by casjen54

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this for a while, as it's cheaper than Am Lactin, but this last winter, my dry skin was so bad that I splurged and bought both Am Lactin and the Am Lactin Ceuticals, and for me, it was worth the extra money. It just seems the Am Lactin brand is stronger and works better on my skin. The flakes are gone, finally, just in time for summer. I will buy the CVS brand again to have on hand, for cuticles and feet and elbows, etc, but I really was surprised at how much more effective the brand name lotion was, at least for me. ( I admittedly do have major dry skin issues; I have a condition called ichthyosis vulgaris, and it is becoming worse with age) I personally like most of the CVS brands I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2012 12:18:00 AM More reviews by mariam1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Coarse Eyes: Other

I'm skeptical of most product claims and have rarely given a product 5 stars, but this hands-down deserves it IMO. I haven't had a skin care product be so effective so quickly ever. I have self-diagnosed KP, the backs of my arms and thighs were extremely rough and bumpy and I thought they'd be like that forever. After hearing about Amlactin on MUA (and passing over the more expensive DermaDoctor KP Duty cream), I went to CVS to buy it. An employee convinced me to buy the CVS brand bottle, saying it has the same ingredients as Amlactin and worked wonders for her. I bought it and lo and behold, in just under ONE week, the bumps are pretty much GONE. The skin is totally smooth now. I didn't think this was really possible! I've tried every other moisturizer out there. I didn't have any reaction to the cream either, despite my skin being quite sensitive. Can you say miracle product? If you have this problem, BUY THIS cream!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2011 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Armywife3409

I've regular amlactin, and this knockoff as well...(I try to be cautious about my spending, I have a huge skincare shopping list and some of the must have products are expensive.) this product works almost as well, but I feel like it is far more harsh on your skin. It left my Keratosis Pilaris all red and blotchy, and even though it did smooth the bumps, it hurt worse than usual, and it felt like straight acid. I just went out and bought the name brand again...which doesn't hurt or smell nearly as bad, and minimizes both redness and bumps..

However, I have saved this tube for my cuticles, elbows, and feet, and it is working fantastic for these tough areas. Waste not want not, huh? If you want this lotion for KP, Id really suggest going for the name brand...its totally worth it. Walgreens runs sales on it sometimes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A bit on the stinky side but this lotion works like a dream on my husband's scaly elbows and on my flares of keratosis pilaris on my upper arms. One warning-DON'T put this on your legs after shaving, OWWWCH!