October 30, 2014 | 1680 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Paula's Choice - Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by etain_anders

I've bought probably five samples of this and I'm waiting for a sale to give in a buy the full size. I have VERY oily skin. As in, five minutes after I wash my face my skin is oily. I'll put on a full face of makeup and half an hour later it'll be oily. Five hours later and my makeup is starting to dissolve. The shine stopper doesn't completely stop the oil--frankly I'm pretty sure that's impossible. But it does buy me a few more hours, enough that (with a touch up) I can make it through a full day.

It also does something else--with the shine stopper on first, and my elf mineral primer ($6!) on top, my large pores disappear! Seriously, the potholes on my nose and cheeks just vanish! It'd be worth it just for that.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by VerbanaLight

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love. I was a slave to blotting sheets and touch-up powder before using this magical stuff! I layer it under whatever foundation I'm using. The fliud is so smooth, light and invisible. It really works. I was using Laura Mercier's mattifier before, which did not work nearly as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by simonjester

I have very oily skin -- Persian Gulf oily. I have tried Smashbox, MUFE, UD, Black Radiance, and Murad primers. I have tried the Wayne Goss method. I have spent days on the internet researching primers and spent unspeakable amounts of money trying to make my makeup last for more than two hours. Nothing really worked and the products that did the best job of making my makeup last longer inevitably caused breakouts. Then came my savior, Paula Begouin.

Like King Arthur receiving Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake, Paula bestowed upon me her Paula's Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish. This miraculous product must be applied on top of your makeup, after it has had a chance to set. My face routine consists of EltaMD Physical (the tinted one) and a Laura Mercier foundation. After doing my whole face and waiting for a few minutes for it to set, I stipple a small amount of the PC Shine Stopper over my oily areas, i.e. my whole face. It leaves a nice, matte finish and lasts for hours. On a regular work day, I will blot at about 2PM. Prior to finding this product, I would start blotting at 9:30 or 10AM. This product has been a game changer.

The product comes in a nice tube that has a small enough opening to easily dispense the right amount. It is silky and has a texture that is similar to the Murad primer. Just be sure to wait for your makeup to set before stippling the product on your oily areas. If you don't do that, it does not work as well. Like other PC products, this is not an inexpensive product. The tube does, however, last a long time. I find it to be a better value and more effective than Smahbox, MUFE, and Murad.

Fellow oily MUAs, consider this product. PC has samples for sale on the website. Good luck and godspeed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAVE USED MULTIPLE SAMPLES.
I tried this once before and did not think much of it but it was okay. My second time trying this I loved it. I would give it five stars but there are some qualms that I need to put out in this review.
At first for oily skin this may not feel comftorable because it goes on as a lotion. After a few minutes though it turns to a dry velvety touch on the skin. Unfortanutely it has no state of the art ingredients and if you live somewhere where the summer is really brutal and your forehead sweats easily it must be applied every 2-3 hours to achieve that dry finish. I don't know if this could correct oily skin in the long run.
I didn't know what the label meant by :'Micro-sponge technology' and I couldn't find out anywhere via her website or the product. If you're curious about what it means I will post a link below.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2014 1:20:00 AM More reviews by ashleywilkes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It works. I get really oily cheeks and I have large pores on my cheeks. I take just a tad of this stuff and pat it on my cheeks and chin and it leaves me matte, without spoiling my makeup, for about 5 hours. The tube lasts forever. I had mine for about 2 or 3 years before I decided I should throw it away and buy a new one. I never even used up the entire thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by joeykeen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

- I have combination skin, and my T zone gets v shiny by the end of the day
- I have been using this under foundation on my T zone only, and I think it helps control my shininess by about 70% - not bad!
- My shininess is further reduced if I set with MUFE setting powder.
- I tried this over foundation as the product packaging suggests I might, and it made my foundation ball up and rub off, it looked terrible. Definitely an under the foundation product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2013 5:09:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this for quite some time. I even took it with me on my trip to India, since I wasn't entirely comfortable with my friends seeing me apply loose powder in the mirror. (Yes, I am a guy.) I don't really need foundation but I apply sunscreen and I need something to remove the shine.

The most effective application method was using my index finger. From the thin opening, on my index finger, I would take out a thin line of product and smooth it gently with long gentle swipes over my nose, cheeks and forehead. It mattified the sunscreen immediately so that I didn't have to wait before going out. It also minimized my pores slightly and make my skin seem polished. I did have to blot during the day two or three times but for my skin that's normal.

I have done some progress since then and I now use a talc based loose powder. It gives a more natural finish, adds some color, and I can enhance further with bronzer and blush. The powder is so effective that I haven't missed the shine stopper one bit. If I continued to apply it only to key areas I am afraid my powder would not apply the same on the shine stopper as on bare moisturizer. That's why I prefer to just apply a second layer of powder on my t-zone and that has worked surprisingly well.

This is still a good option for anyone who wants to mattify their moisturizer without makeup. But a good powder works just as well if not better because it does not have a white cast and can easily be applied all over your face and neck so it looks more uniform. For me the Shine Stopper is still useful for those times when I've already applied my richer nighttime moisturizer and need to step out of the house briefly. It is quick and effective at removing shine from areas that look shiny.

----------------------
HINT: I see people complain that the product comes out more watery at times. Storing the the tube upright will completely prevent that.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I agree, this is not as matte and have the oilcontrol as smashbox antishine. This does not cover up/hide pores as great as the old clinique poreminimizer. BUT this does not clog up my poses or break me out as the two others.
The oilcontrol and shinecontrol is ok and it does make my pores look smaller. So for that I will call this HG.
To be honest, this did not work the first times when I used it. It did nothing. So I stopped using it but at the end of the summer I found it and after readning on cosmeticscop.com how to use it started to work for me. I apply a pea size and dot and roll it on my skin. It can leave a white film but notning bad that a bronzer can't cover.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by inouerinn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My verdict is;
- this is not as matte as Smashbox Anti Shine but it has the same attitude like Smashbox Anti Shine.
- it doesn't sit well and/or look good under sunscreen/foundation.
- no matter how much less or more I use it, it would just look patchy/streaky/uneven, especially if i am using foundation over it, the foundation would change color - lighter than it supposed to be.
- it only looks fairly good on top of my sunscreen but I am skeptical about applying anything non-SPF on top of sunscreen.
- in terms of oil control? Because I have very oily skin, it doesn't transform my oily skin into normal skin after using this product. If you have high expectations, you will be disappointed.
- in the kind of climate i am living in (summer-ry all year), the oil control ability is +-4hours at its best.

best way to use it:
- in the evenings as the final step in my skincare routine.
- (i wont risk using this alone during the day because I am obsess about sun protection.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by melodysg

Tried this under makeup and over makeup and without makeup. Best oil-control performance on no-makeup days. Better performance when over makeup better than under makeup. I use clean fingers to apply, press motion over my t-zone. cause no break-out.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No