July 22, 2014 | 2041 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Paula's Choice - Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2014 1:20:00 AM More reviews by ashleywilkes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It works. I get really oily cheeks and I have large pores on my cheeks. I take just a tad of this stuff and pat it on my cheeks and chin and it leaves me matte, without spoiling my makeup, for about 5 hours. The tube lasts forever. I had mine for about 2 or 3 years before I decided I should throw it away and buy a new one. I never even used up the entire thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by joeykeen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

- I have combination skin, and my T zone gets v shiny by the end of the day
- I have been using this under foundation on my T zone only, and I think it helps control my shininess by about 70% - not bad!
- My shininess is further reduced if I set with MUFE setting powder.
- I tried this over foundation as the product packaging suggests I might, and it made my foundation ball up and rub off, it looked terrible. Definitely an under the foundation product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2013 5:09:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this for quite some time. I even took it with me on my trip to India, since I wasn't entirely comfortable with my friends seeing me apply loose powder in the mirror. (Yes, I am a guy.) I don't really need foundation but I apply sunscreen and I need something to remove the shine.

The most effective application method was using my index finger. From the thin opening, on my index finger, I would take out a thin line of product and smooth it gently with long gentle swipes over my nose, cheeks and forehead. It mattified the sunscreen immediately so that I didn't have to wait before going out. It also minimized my pores slightly and make my skin seem polished. I did have to blot during the day two or three times but for my skin that's normal.

I have done some progress since then and I now use a talc based loose powder. It gives a more natural finish, adds some color, and I can enhance further with bronzer and blush. The powder is so effective that I haven't missed the shine stopper one bit. If I continued to apply it only to key areas I am afraid my powder would not apply the same on the shine stopper as on bare moisturizer. That's why I prefer to just apply a second layer of powder on my t-zone and that has worked surprisingly well.

This is still a good option for anyone who wants to mattify their moisturizer without makeup. But a good powder works just as well if not better because it does not have a white cast and can easily be applied all over your face and neck so it looks more uniform. For me the Shine Stopper is still useful for those times when I've already applied my richer nighttime moisturizer and need to step out of the house briefly. It is quick and effective at removing shine from areas that look shiny.

----------------------
HINT: I see people complain that the product comes out more watery at times. Storing the the tube upright will completely prevent that.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I agree, this is not as matte and have the oilcontrol as smashbox antishine. This does not cover up/hide pores as great as the old clinique poreminimizer. BUT this does not clog up my poses or break me out as the two others.
The oilcontrol and shinecontrol is ok and it does make my pores look smaller. So for that I will call this HG.
To be honest, this did not work the first times when I used it. It did nothing. So I stopped using it but at the end of the summer I found it and after readning on cosmeticscop.com how to use it started to work for me. I apply a pea size and dot and roll it on my skin. It can leave a white film but notning bad that a bronzer can't cover.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by inouerinn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My verdict is;
- this is not as matte as Smashbox Anti Shine but it has the same attitude like Smashbox Anti Shine.
- it doesn't sit well and/or look good under sunscreen/foundation.
- no matter how much less or more I use it, it would just look patchy/streaky/uneven, especially if i am using foundation over it, the foundation would change color - lighter than it supposed to be.
- it only looks fairly good on top of my sunscreen but I am skeptical about applying anything non-SPF on top of sunscreen.
- in terms of oil control? Because I have very oily skin, it doesn't transform my oily skin into normal skin after using this product. If you have high expectations, you will be disappointed.
- in the kind of climate i am living in (summer-ry all year), the oil control ability is +-4hours at its best.

best way to use it:
- in the evenings as the final step in my skincare routine.
- (i wont risk using this alone during the day because I am obsess about sun protection.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by melodysg

Tried this under makeup and over makeup and without makeup. Best oil-control performance on no-makeup days. Better performance when over makeup better than under makeup. I use clean fingers to apply, press motion over my t-zone. cause no break-out.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by emysiu

Every primer I've tried (Smashbox Photofinish, Monistat, Milk of Magnesia, etc.) has always caused clogged pores for me. This is the only exception so far. It goes on smooth, no clogged pores, even if I fall asleep with it. It does a fine job of minimizing my pores. Though in terms of shine control, it does quite a poor job. I get shiny within an hour of application. I don't even wear much makeup. I just put a layer of powder over this. However, because I've had such a hard time finding a better primer, I think that this will be my go-to for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 12:01:00 PM More reviews by LetsSwap

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product has dethroned my previous HG of mattifiers (Shiseido for Men). Reason being that this product doesn't make my face feel congested as with the Shiseido. This leaves a nice matte finish for me that lasts hours and doesn't "ball up" like all the Smashbox primers do. It also has a nice creamy feel, not siliconey, like Smashbox. I agree with a previous reviewer that this may be hit or miss so you'll just have to try it out for yourself.
This product works so well for me, I have to keep two handy: one to use as a primer, the other one for overnight (yes, I have to wear something at bedtime or else I'll wake up like I smeared lard on my face -ugh). It's never clogged my pores or caused any breakouts.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2012 12:38:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

At first I thought this sucked so bad and didn't do anything because I put it over primer, under foundation. Then I decided to put it over primer and foundation. After waiting for about 1-2 minutes, I would then dust on some powder. and hey! it worked way better. It keeps me matte most of the day. However, some things to note are :

- You can't put it over loose powder (and probably 2-way cake/compact powder). It will look gross and ball up or something.
- It will kinda sink into your pores when you put it over foundation. It's not very noticeable though.

Anyway, I would buy this again because it DOES help in reducing oil production provided it's used over foundation. (for my case, that is)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got a few complimentary samples of Shine Stopper with my Paula's Choice order. I’ve only tried a few mattifying primers before. Unfortunately, Shine Stopper just isn’t effective enough for my combination skin, which gets shiny quite quickly with or without this product. So no big difference either way. The inclusion of Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride puzzles me, since it’s a thickener, which – at least to my understanding – doesn’t really have any shine absorbing qualities. Probably works for someone who doesn’t have as problematic skin as me.