Frederic Malle Cologne Bigarade

on 7/10/2009 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

More rose and hay than citrus on me, and not particularly remarkable.

on 4/21/2008 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of my absolute favorites! I cannot believe *any* of the negative reviews, actually. This is divine. But then, I *do* love orange blossoms, rind, leaves, etc. This is citrussy, yes, but I wouldn't call it crisp in the way that Angeliques sous la Pluie is crisp. Rather, Bigarade has a warm and musky base to it, that seems almost to come from my skin. It's fresh, but also golden and hazy--kind of like sunshine filtering through the trees on a hot summer's afternoon. And, there are spices and flowers in there (saffron and rose, in particular); notes that anchor it and keep it from being screamy or high-pitched. I realize that many associate citrus scents with masculinity, but I rather find this one in particular to be sexy and feminine. It's not as harsh as most of the colognes for men that are readily available. In my mind, this is the nape of a gorgeous redhead. Regal, refined, smooth, nubile, juicy and luscious. Crazy for it! FBW.

on 1/19/2007 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a patch of mold on a discarded tangerine peel. Orange, mildew, and suede. Not fresh at all to me, rather damp and mossy, but I love it. A very wet scent. Adds even more sensuality to MR oil (didnít think that was possible) when layered together. Gotta get a bigger bottle for the spring. EDIT: That review was based on a sample. I recently purchased a partial spray bottle, and it is much more richer, jammy, marmalade-y, more sweet, and only the tinges of the drydown become mossy.

on 1/18/2007 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I tried out a sample of both the lotion and fragrance. Love the bright orange citrus opening to this for about the first ten minutes. Then a saffron note barges in and I just can't handle it. I cannot get past the saffron and so this fragrance is ruined for me. Too bad! :<

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is okay. It is not as fresh of an orange scent as I was hoping. It is more of a smokey, earthy, inside-of-an-orange-peel scent. You know the scent of the actual inside of an orange peel after you pull it off of the orange ... how it's more waxy/earthy/peel scented? THAT scent. Now take THAT scent and mix it with hay (kind of a dry grassy scent), and that is what Cologne Bigarade smells like. It is NOT the scent of fresh oranges or orange juice. Nope. It is NOT fresh, NOT juicey, NOT springtime at all. Cologne Bigarade is warm, spicy, earthy, autumn, dried orange peels and hay. Cologne Bigarade is less sweet and more earthy. I can definitely see how this would be a unisex fragrance because of the warmth and spice.

on 5/30/2006 1:21:00 PM

Like Maller when I smelled this for the first time I was instantly transported back to my childhood where there were tangergine trees outside of our house. It is the ultimate scent in terms of freshness and although it seems at first like a one trick pony it has a warmth to it. It is soft and beautiful and could be worn most definitely by a man or woman. When I went back to the FM counter I bought the Bigarade Concentree instead thinking that the lasting power would be better but I misjudged a bit because it is a little different. When I get the urge and have the money I will return to buy the cologne. The Concentrer reminds me a bit of Cartier Declaration whereas the Cologne has hints of the Cartier but is very much its own scent.

on 11/21/2005 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I have to say that this is not one of my favourite FMs. Cologne Bigarade opens with a bracing burst of citrus - bergamot, lemon, lime and bitter oranges on me. Although it softens up a little, it is just too masculine for my liking, with little discernible on my skin apart from tangerine and hay. There is just the faintest hint of rose on occasion, but, overall, the bitter orange notes just swamp everything else and remain to the very end (about 4 hours on me.) I am sending this one away to a good home where it will be appreciated!

on 7/19/2005 9:36:00 PM

When I first apply this scent I'm instantly transported back to childhood when the house would be full of the delicious scent of my father's favorite spicy orange cake baking in the oven. Several reviewers have mentioned that CB strikes them as being a masculine scent. I'm guessing I have very different body chemistry from them or different impressions of what constitutes a masculine scent, as on me this is a quite lovely feminine scent. It's not a straight, clear orange like Blu Med's Arancia. It's an unusual, sweet, complex orange and, again, I appear to be odd man out in that it doesn't seem crisp to me. Instead, it seems softly rounded to my nose with the notes of hay, rose and saffron which emerge as it dries down. A summer staple.

on 4/22/2005 1:29:00 PM

Cologne Bigarade opens up on my skin with a citrus/lemon infusion. As the scent develops, I get some spices, maybe saffron, and an almost rose-like feel to the citrus. Despite the notes having a feminine feel and smell to them, this scent still comes across as more masculine than I prefer to wear. I wouldn't mind smelling it on a man at all.

Hands down, the best citrus ever, imo. I like orange well enough, but always find most orange scents too sweet, too St. Joseph's baby aspirin to wear. I couldn't really find any proper bitter orange scents until Bigarade came around - I think the note or molecule or whatever it is called of the bitter orange in this scent was newly created for J-C Ellena. Yes, there are aldehydes in it, and no one is more sensitive to those than me, yet in this, it only serves to make the scent extremely crisp and tart. A gorgeous refreshing scent for spring and summer.

Popular Fragrances