November 23, 2014 | 1930 users online

Skincare - Face - MAC - Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2014 8:07:00 AM More reviews by domokun_nyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My regular work-horse serum is Olay Regenerist Fragrance Free. I don't have any problems with it, but am always interested in trying well-formulated serums that might provide an additional boost. To that end I tried the MAC based on Paula's recommendation. While it's a nice serum, I won't be running out to repurchase for a few reasons:

1. It contains a bit more fragrance than I like. The smell does dissipate, but on first application, I find it a bit strong.

2. While it does sink in, it leaves my skin a little tacky; I prefer the silky, primer-like finish of the Regenerist.

3. I haven't noticed any real brightening or change in skin tone. Seems to maintain what I have, but not provide any tangible improvement.

4. Costs nearly 4x the Regenerist for no real additional benefit for me. Granted, the price is rather reasonable compared to some high-end serums which go for double the MAC.

So, a very good, somewhat expensive serum, with fragrance and a slightly tacky finish. Doesn't cause irritation or break outs and might be great for those who do not like the silicones/primer-like feel of something like Regenerist. Pump bottle is good size and design and keeps ingredients protected from light.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2014 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Kizzycat24

I have been using MAC Prep and Prime Brightening Serum for a few months now and I found that I really like the way it makes my skin feel. It has definitely smoothed and evened out my skin tone but hasn't brightened it at all.

I use it twice daily AM and PM then apply moisturizer. It has a nice, light scent and would definitely buy this again, the downfall is that it's a little pricy and doesn't brighten the skin. I would recommend this product to anyone.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by LarissaQ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well...
I was in a flight connection at Panama when i needed to buy a primer but my time was running out and i went with a lot of rush to the MAC store at the airport.
The lady gave me this one and when i arrived at home i saw that wasn't what i wanted, but i like to try new things so... Ok, let's do it!

For me it's nothing more than a very very expensive (i paid $54) moisturizer for normal/oily skin. Nothing more, nothing less.
It didn't make my skin brighter, it didn't closed my pores nor reduced them, nothing.
So it's a very very expensive thing that don't do anything more than a regular cheaper product would do.

Noooo, not going to buy this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 4:27:00 AM More reviews by kembaqz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not one to spend so much on skin products but this is so very much worth it. I was persuaded to buy this product but refused. So I was given a sample. I tried it and my skin felt really soft and smooth. My skin remained moisturized and glowing lasted throughout the day. I could not believe it. My skin is extra sensitive, surprisingly I had no allergic reaction at all. A bit pricey though. You will need to stock up because the stores always run out

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Roxntrix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!!!! This is fantastic! I have worn MAC cosmetics for quite a few years now but I had never heard of this serum before. Then I went to a MAC event and they used it to cover a few age spots that I have on my cheeks (thank God they look like freckles) and I couldn't believe how even my skin tone was immediately. LOVE this serum and I will definitely purchase again!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 2:03:00 AM More reviews by mderyaozel

This product is a-mazing! It brigthened my skin and you can really see the difference. Didn't break me out or anything. My skin can really feel that there's something going on when i put this on. The packaging is great as all the mac skincare products. It really pricey though, that's a con, but i think it's worth it. I will totally get another bottle when i finish this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by hnnhm

I bought this after a friend recommended me it as I have very problematic skin and prone to nasty patches (dry, oily, red, blotchy, dark spots etc).

I have never been one to spend money on products like serums or special creams but after the recommendation from my friend and reading the reviews on here (if i'm ever unsure of a product or I'm tempted to buy I always first reach out to makeupalley.com haha), I thought I'd go for it.

I've been using it morning and evening, (underneath Macs oil control lotion then my foundation, and then after taking my makeup off at night) and I'm loving it. I've only been using it roughly a week and already I've noticed its cleared and evened out my skin and its got a lovely glow to it now. I wouldn't go as far to say its brightened my skin, but, the serum has definitely improved it with the blotchy patches and redness and looks a lot healthier.

I would recommend this definitely, only con is the price as I feel its a little on the expensive side but it still wont stop me purchasing another bottle as already this is becoming a holy grail item in my makeup routine!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

It is a transparent serum that comes in a pump bottle which is very handy. It goes on smooth and leaves your face a bit wet, so you need time to let it sink in if you are going to apply it before your make up. Guess it can be used both in the morning or in the evening.
The effect is good, at least for my combination skin somewhat prone to acne. Not sure how it would work for skin with more serious problems. I notice that when using the serum my face looks clearer and brighter. No miracle, and yet a difference can be noticed.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 1:32:00 AM More reviews by gwennifairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was perfect for my oily/combo, yet often parched skin. This is perfect for days where I need the hydration but my skin is too oily for moisturizer because it sinks in quickly and you don't feel it at all, except how soft your skin feels. It also works well under a moisturizer (I use it under MAC studio moisturefix).

Not sure if it really brightens skin, honestly, I think only time will heal acne scars, if at all , but its full of antioxidants.

I love using it as at night as well to help my skin bounce back from wearing foundation all day. Though it is expensive, I think the forumla is quite comparable to the serums in the Estee Lauder line.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by cdias16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great Product!

I had a really bad acne breakout 3 weeks ago from using a primer. Cause alot of cysts and clogged pores on my forehead which left me with alot of acne scars.

The lady at the Mac Counter at The Bay recommended this product. After some research online i decided to buy it.

I've been using this product for about ten days and definitely notice a difference. I'm not sure if its also in combination of other products i use but i feel a difference when using this product. especially after putting it on

The scarring has reduced dramatically. Today is the first day i feel okay to go bare faced without any concealor or powder to work.

The ONLY con about this product it does tend to make my skin a bit oily. Especially in the T zone. I'm hoping in another couple of weeks i can just use this product at night instead of twice a day.

Will DEFINITELY buy this product again. Probably the most effective serum i have ever tried.