November 26, 2014 | 1848 users online

Makeup Brushes - E.L.F. - All Over Eyeshadow Brush

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by piczohun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this for $1 at Dollarama because I lost my EcoTools one and many YouTubers use this one. I was really happy with it at first. It does the job but it makes my eyelids itch and the bristles fall out. The whol barrel came off which sucks, but I just stick it back on. It is hard to wash and the edge is horribly uneven because the bristles fall out. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Lilola07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This brush is awesome, I have used it almost every day for two years and its just as good as when I first got it

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by JennyHenny

Great quality...especially for a dollar!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2012 3:47:00 AM More reviews by ylaimeche

Normally, I'm an elf junkie. I love just about all their products. This one is a miss. It does the job but not very well. The brush isn't soft, it's actually kind of itchy and it doesn't pack the powder on at all. Not good for blending either. After about a month, the head of the brush fell off completely. I'd go for the elf studio shadow brush instead. It's still cheap but the quality is much better.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by jglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love elf products but this one completely disopointed me because within two weeks the silver part with the brush on it came of the white shimmery stick part so now that is in the bottom of my trash can being broken and what not!Anyway oh well i guess that is the kind of quality that I get from buying a one dollar super store brush. I guess you get what you pay for. I have now learned my lesson.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by avalencia29303

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased five of these brushes a few months ago during the holiday when they had a 65% off sale from E.L.F online. They almost always have some promotion going on anyways.
I looked all over for reviews on this brush because it looked similar to Mac's 239 brush. I couldn't find a single review about it and even here nothing. I figured I wouldn't be losing much if it didn't work out so I purchased five of them (yes I know, ridiculous logic lol). When I got them, they looked lovely and reminiscent of my lovely Bobbi Brown brushes or Essence of Beauty ones. I love the wooden look as they brighten up my makeup area as oppose to my plain black Mac ones (I'm not a Mac snob but they do have lovely brushes).
They come in their standard plastic sleeve case that is reusable in case you want to keep it. As soon as I took it out, I was immediately impressed. The ferrule felt nicely crimped on so I hope it doesn't fall off anytime soon as cheaper brushes tend to do. The brush felt lovely to hold and the synthetic bristles felt extremely soft, so soft at first I worried eyeshadow wouldn't adhere to it properly.
I know you're supposed to wash the brush before you use it but I went ahead and tested it out on several of my eyeshadows. It picked up all of them nicely and distributed very well on my eyelid. On some of them, like the matte ones, it had a little more trouble to pack it on but typically only my 239 or Lowe Cornell Maxine Mop brush 3/8 can do it properly. However this isn't a problem as it's advertised as a mineral brush of which most minerals are in loose form, not pressed. It picked up loose eyeshadow very well, too. They blend out alright, nothing spectacular here as it does the job with a little effort. But as I got them for 1.65USD I'm not complaining; I've paid 70 bucks for a single brush before....
The brush head is slightly larger than the Mac 239 measuring about 1cm long. This means it may not be favored by those with smaller eyes looking for more detail work. I use this to cover bigger areas as oppose to smaller ones. The bristles are fully packed so they're also slightly fluffy and it doesn't shed. Their Studio eyeshadow brush is about exactly the same size if I'm not mistaken but the Studio one is less full and not as soft as the Mineral one. It also sheds as oppose to the Mineral one. However, as the Mineral one is very smooth feeling, the Studio would be a better choice to apply the "harder" eyeshadows such as matte ones.
The only con I've been able to come with that slightly put me off is that it stains BADLY. Even with dishwashing soap I can't remove makeup properly from the bristles. I've tried my Mac cleanser, I've tried applying olive oil first to lift the stain and then dishwashing soap, nothing. So warning, if you do use a very dark eyeshadow with these brushes, chances are it won't come out like if you use the Lowe Cornell or Mac 239 one. Those I always manage to wash clean white but not the E.L.F. one.
I would rebuy these if they were on sale bc personally I wouldn't pay 5.00USD, mainly bc I have so many brushes already. This one is excellant to have a back up incase you're traveling and don't care to lose it or if you're just starting your brush collection. For brush hoarders, chances are you already have many excellant brushes (I own tons of Mac, Bobbi Brown, Smashbox...) so these will more than likely sit hidden in the corner like mine would if I didn't travel often.