December 19, 2014 | 1070 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Cotton Candy Pink

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2014 3:52:00 PM More reviews by CombatWombat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like posters below, I did not get enough color payoff from this product. My hair is dark to medium blond, so I was expecting a subtler tint, but after applying the ENTIRE pot to my chin-length hair, following the instructions to the letter, adding heat, and rinsing, I got two tiny pink streaks at the front of my hair. That's it. I really thought more of my hair would have picked up the tint, and like I said, I wasn't expecting dramatic results, but I was expecting more than two pencil-thin slightly pink highlights. For how much payoff I got, the price and effort were totally out of alignment. I'm not repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/22/2014 3:46:00 AM More reviews by ncranney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This might actually be the worst hair colour I've ever used. Let me preface by saying that I've been doing my hair a lovely pastel pink for a while now using Ion Color Brilliance Brights in Magenta with a shade diluter and it's excellent. It had been a while since I'd touched up and my colour was looking pretty dull; I've been wanting to give Manic Panic a try for a while and they do have some really, really nice swatches, so I went with it. And I rather wish I hadn't. The colour came out streaky and terrible; some parts of my head were vaguely pink (and that may have been a remnant of my last colour), others were still platinum, and a few bits were neon pink. My hair is bleached to a level 10 and it's very healthy; I left it on for two hours, used a blow dryer over it for a bit, et cetera. Maybe it's that my hair wasn't damaged enough for this, I don't know, but it was a very poor quality dye. I'd wait to see how fast it washes out, but I don't think I can bear to have a bad dye job in public, so I'll be putting Ion over this disaster tomorrow.

Forget Manic Panic; it's not worth the time, effort, or money.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2014 3:57:00 AM More reviews by Cinderelletta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is a first impression review, and as of right now, I'm not a huge fan of this product. I've dyed my hair pink in the past and it's worked well for me, so I was expecting this to go just as smoothly. I did a lot of research before choosing to buy this specific dye instead of the other, cheaper selections at Sally Beauty, and chose this because it had great reviews from people who seemed to have a lot of experience dyeing their hair crazy colors.

I was going for a pretty pink ombre look, so my friend & I watched some YouTube videos to get some ideas & chose to do two rounds of the Manic Panic Flashlightning bleach, with the tips being bleached first and the longest, and then a another few inches plus the tips again bleached the second round for a shorter period of time. This part of the process went off without a hitch.

After completing the bleach, I washed my hair and dried it fully, as per the instructions on the Manic Panic jar. Then my friend set to work dying it, placing the dye on the hair all over the bleached parts as well as a little above in order to achieve a true ombre effect. She put a cap around the hair and then pinned it up, and I let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour. When we rinsed the dye out and I dried my hair, it was almost as if we hadn't dyed it at all. The color took to the hair very little. It almost looked like pink hair that was already at the three-week fade point. It still looks more blonde than pink.

First of all, I would say that the color swatches in store and online are WAY WAY off on this product. The swatches are a very vibrant hot pink, while the actual color on the hair is more of a true cotton candy, as per the name. I would also say that the last time I dyed my hair hot pink, I used the $6 Jamz dye and it worked so well. Granted, it's been like 8 years and the formula may have changed, but I'm definitely kicking myself now for spending twice as much on the Manic Panic dye instead of what I knew to be tried and true.

Since coming home after the failed dye job, I've done some research on YouTube and elsewhere and plan to try again tomorrow to redye my hair using this Cotton Candy pink. I'll use my clarifying shampoo and not condition it, dry it fully, put the dye on, place a plastic bag over it, and leave it on for as long as I can stand - hopefully all day if I get up and get started in the morning. I'll be sure to use plenty of heat from a hairdryer to set it before finally washing it out and doing an after-color treatment. Hopefully, the color will take better and I'll be able to come back here and give a more positive review.

ETA: Upon redying it, it looked really nice right after rinsing and drying, but was still extremely light, and ultimately washed out completely within a week and only about 3 washes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

ETA I still like this a lot, but have found a new love. Special Effects Cupcake Pink! I still dilute to pastel, but it's a more VIBRANT, SATURATED pastel. I wish it were on here so I could review it! It is simply lovely!!! VERY BRIGHT hilighter pink if non diluted!

This is my favorite pink. Beware: it is DARK if undiluted. Like most of you probably buying a shade called 'cotton candy' I was envisioning a pastel. Even though my hair wasn't bleached *perfectly* it went very dark. I was able to fade it with head and shoulders to a pastel and now I mix it with the pastelizer if I feel like splurging or more often plain white cone free conditioner. This makes a perfect pastel pink. I thought id be cheap and try using miniscule amounts of hot hot pink in my conditioner but I don't know... I just don't get the same effect. Hair should be close to white for this to look perfect. Compared to 'rose' by ion ... This lasts longer and is easier to work with. Rose rinsed right out. It's light enough out of the jar that it doesn't stain your hands. I try to leave in for hours under a cap, sometimes I apply a little heat in the beginning. It's cool that it glows under UV.. Gives my kids a hoot. I top it off frequently. I love pastels!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 9:26:00 AM More reviews by SkullGlitter

I love Manic Panic hair color. My scalp is dry with over-active oil release when stripped so colors absorb well after bleaching my roots (powdered lightener and 20 volume peroxide.) Sometimes I use Virgin Snow to tone some of the yellow down 1 shade before coloring.

Cotton Candy Pink was my go-to for a long while. I went near-platinum (big mistake on my part as it didn't look so great on me and fried my hair) and colored the shortest layer of my long hair. Loved it! Then it was in my bangs for 3 more years, started out as the only color, then became part of a gradient effect (Shocking Blue on top creating a slightly green color close to the scalp, Purple Haze, Hot Hot Pink, then Cotton Candy Pink on the ends.) I never punked-out on the Cotton Candy Pink, it made the whole look.

Thinking back, now, it's because the CCP faded to a beautiful pastel pink without being sickly or orange. A true light pink. While I don't use it now, just the purples, I will definitely buy it again if I'm doing any sort of gradient or ombre effect. I barely need any conditioner mixed with it to pastel it up.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Beeebee

Ugh I love this color, used to have it on my whole head, fades fast but so beautiful !

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by rilokiley1289

I mixed this with conditioner to make a pastel pink for my light-medium (around a level 8) blonde hair. I like the color enough, but even with using a blue-purple shampoo, this dye kind of fades to a weird faded looking red/peach/salmon on me (even though my hair was pretty ashy blonde before I dyed). I wouldn't typically mind the weird faded red color if it didn't happen within two days of dying it, but it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

As much as I want to love this Manic Panic dye, I prefer the N'Rage bubblegum pink to use a pastel dye. It seems like it's more of a cooler toned pink, which works better on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by canceroustraguses

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Cotton Candy pink is just the perfect baby pink. You can put in your hair for just a few minutes (assuming that it's bleached) and it will have a beautiful pink sheen, you can leave it for an hour and it's a *perfect* cupcake pink.
On my hair, it lasts. My hair was white when I put the pink on it, and my hair is very porous. It lasted for a very long time until I dyed a purple over it. (It was a month maybe?)
I completely recommend this. And it's excellent for mixing too.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2012 11:48:00 PM More reviews by alannaquinn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am really not a fan of this product, but there are some pros to it. I've tried dyes like Splat and found that they were very runny and messy, and they stained my sink when just rinsing them out. Manic Panic dye is very thick (I've tried other colors besides this) and it is not messy at all. The application is really nice and easy, and it rinses out clean. Manic Panic also leave my hair soft, and feeling healthier than it did with just bleach on it.
However, it's not the best. I bleached my hair, and it was pretty light but still had a bit of yellow tones. The first time I dyed it, when I rinsed it out it was very light and it didn't cover all of the hair - and I did fully saturate it while applying. So I dyed it again that same night and it came out very beautiful and bright pink. As soon as I washed my hair though, it washed out and was showing bleached spots again. I realize it is not permanent so of course it will fade with washes. But this dye just rinses out to fast and it isn't worth the upkeep. I do like to change up my hair a lot though, so I guess that could also be a pro for some people.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by DaniePaige

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Pink was the first color I ever dyed my hair, back when it was all blonde and came down to my waist, I used this pink just on the undersides. My hair is naturally pretty light blonde, so I probably didn't need to bleach it, but I did anyways, and I got it to an inside-of-the-banana yellow color before I used this. I left it in for about 4 hours, and I did use shampoo when I washed it out though, because I just thought it would be gross otherwise, I was worried this color would be bright pink like the actual dye is, but it is true cotton candy pink. Fading, I honestly can't say much about, because I didn't give it much of a chance to fade, I just re-dyed it every weekend, but It faded virtually none each week. Also, one jar covered the underside of all of my hair, and was enough for a second dyeing too. All in all a good product, a little pricey though :/