October 22, 2014 | 1705 users online

Masks - Aspirin Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2005 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Oily skin that is prone to breakouts.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Uncoated aspirin tablets used as a mask or scrub. I bought Smart Health brand aspirin which is 99 cents for 200 tablets (325 mg of aspirin each) at Walmart. The tablets are crushed or moistened until they disintegrate and are applied to the face.

AS A MASK At first, I used it as a mask. I moistened three tablets and applied them to my face. My skin felt tight as the mask dried and after five minutes, I started to go into a sneezing fit because of the dust. I promptly washed the mask off. I did not notice any less redness but my skin did feel smooth. However, I attribute this more to rubbing the aspirin onto my skin. Many people have recommended combining the disintegrated aspirin tablets with aloe vera or lotion to prevent the dust from flying into your nose.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PROPERTIES Aspirin or acetylsalicylic acid is a drug that is used for, among other things, swelling and redness. However, I remain skeptical about the effectiveness of aspirin on inflammation when applied topically. I am a student nurse who is also a nerd with a love for medicine and the only way I can say with confidence to someone else that an aspirin mask does work for inflammation is if I did a controlled double-blind study yadda yadda yadda. However, I have found some interesting studies showing that aspirin applied topically is more effective against pain related to shingles that aspirin taken orally. Send me a message if you want to know more... *crickets chirp*

If I am wrong and you have an article that shows that topical aspirin is effective, please message me. I really would like to find out more.

AS A SCRUB ANYHOO... My huge rave comes from using aspirin tablets as a scrub. I moisten one tablet and scrub my face with it after washing my face. The result is smooth exfoliated skin. A 99 cent bottle will get me 200 scrubs and you can throw it in your luggage for pain relief, fever reduction AND beautiful skin without having to worry about it making a mess in your bag. Mind you, I still doubt that the actual active ingredient is making any difference to my skin during the 30 seconds that I am scrubbing it on my face. I am, however, very pleased that I have found a great convenient scrub for such a low price.

However, I must warn people that the disintegrated tablet can be far too abrasive for most people. If you think using St. Ives scrub on the face is insane, don't even try aspirin.

ASTHMA? ALLERGIES? ULCERS? ...DEATH?! There was a hysterical review that said that there are many adverse effects that come with using aspirin masks, including stomach ulcers. It is now deleted but I feel that it still important to address this matter. While a lot of aspirin taken orally over a long period of time can cause gastric ulcers, putting aspirin on your face for five to ten minutes is NOT going to do anything to your stomach.

I am not 100% sure if that review said that aspirin masks also cause respiratory problems and allergies to flare up. Well, yes it could but not because it is aspirin. Inhaling dust (whether it comes from an aspirin mask or from under your bed) is going to cause watery eyes and sneezing and, yeah, may excacerbate any existing problems. Simple as that. As for allergies, I don't want to say that the idea that an aspirin mask can cause a severe allergic reaction is total rubbish. Theoretically, it is possible but oh goodness, the possibility is so low. If you can touch aspirin and take a tablet by mouth, chances are nothing will happen to you if you put it on your face.

ACETYLSALICYLIC ACID VS. SALICYLIC ACID Is aspirin the same thing as salycylic acid, better known as beta hydroxy acid? (Beta hydroxy acid is a popular chemical exfoliant) Well... No. They are very closely related and both have anti-inflammatory properties but they are not the same. Beta hydroxy acid has been shown to be a great topical anti-inflammatory (and, yes, I use a BHA religiously) but as far as I know and have experienced, aspirin is not. If I am wrong, please message me. Chemistry is not my forte and I may be stretching my mental capacities too far. :P

OVERALL I am skeptical about aspirin's anti-inflammatory properties when applied on the skin only but I give it five lippies because it makes for a great, inexpensive scrub. This has become part of my daily routine already. Will definitely repurchase.

UPDATE Several members have graciously messaged me about how aspirin masks have worked for them. One suggested that I pack aspirin particles onto a band-aid and leave it on overnight. I have done this on two pimples that I had at the time and over eight hours, I saw no noticeable effect still. continued >>

29 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2010 5:31:00 PM More reviews by hans

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Please please be VERY careful using aspirin as a mask!! I tried it on and off for a month or so and was pleased that my skin was lookin kinda nice!! However, around the same time I was having some bloods tested for gynea/ivf reasons and it was then that my dr was concerned that my thyroid levels were "strange" and one of the questions he asked was whether i was taking alot of aspirin! What i am trying to say is that using aspirin topically still seems to affect you internally - but who knows what damage it is doing esp in the longer term?

anyways that my view. take care guys! xx

22 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2007 2:33:00 AM More reviews by saturnine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have had acne since I've been in middle school and have only found certain products and routines that only minimize the amount, but not gotten rid of it. I mainly used Cetaphil products (Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and moisturizing lotion).

I found out about the aspirin mask from RiceBunny's website (www.xanga.com/RiceBunny) where she used it with honey and exfoliated the face using an electric toothbrush. She recommended the mask for several treatments: lightening your skin, fading acne scars, getting rid of acne, and several other uses.

About two weeks ago I bought a bottle of MAC Select Tint SPF 15 and a tube of MAC Select Moisturecover, and my skin started to break out terribly. I have NEVER had good luck with MAC face products, ever (read my other reviews of those products too), and I don't even have good skin as it is. So I had to go in major overdrive and get rid of the cystic acne, redness and blemishes. I had been using the aspirin mask before, only once every other day previously (was afraid it would be too harsh for my skin), and it was working slowly but steadily. I decided to try and do the aspirin mask every night and see how my skin would react to it.

WONDERFUL news...and I'm just sorry I didn't take a before picture :) The first night I did the aspirin mask after my face started breaking out from the foundation, I could already see and feel a difference...everyone knows that :) But by using the mask every night after that, the pimples and blemishes and redness went away SO fast.

Here is the routine I have developed for the aspirin mask, as I don't have honey at home (and if I did I'd like to eat it instead :P), and it has gotten my face on the road to being clear and glowy, moreso than I have ever experienced before.

At night I wash with Purpose Gentle Skin Cleanser (I stopped using the Cetaphil because it just wasn't cutting it at getting all the junk off my face...BUT there is another WONDERFUL use for it...read on :D) in the shower. Then I get a little plate and drip about 4 or 5 drops of warm water on 1 tablet of 325mg Aspirin. I wait a few seconds and when it starts dissolving, I help it along by smooshing the pill with my fingers until it becomes a rough paste.

Then I take the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and squirt about a nickel-sized amount right into the aspirin and mix it with my fingers for a few seconds until the whole thing is mixed evenly. I take the mask with my fingers and gently apply it all over my face (careful to avoid eye and nostril areas) in light circular motions.

I wait 10 mins until the whole mask feels completely dry and all the medicine has absorbed into my skin (also a great reason to use Cetaphil instead of just water...it keeps your skin soft and does not dry it out). Then I use a Crest SpinBrush (about $6 at any Wal-Mart or Target), run it under warm water for a second, turn it on and go in large circular motions over my skin. DO NOT APPLY A LOT OF PRESSURE. ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF PRESSURE IS NEEDED! After every "spot" (i.e. cheeks, chin, temples, forehead, etc), I like to rinse off the brush with some more warm water and go onto the next.

I rinse off with tepid water and towel dry. Then I use Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner on a cotton square (I don't like using cotton balls as I find they release lint everywhere on my face, and I want to try and avoid touching my face as much as possible) and again, using circular motions, go over my face and neck.

This next part is only for my particular face type; I use a prescription topical treatment called Benzamycin (has a combination of Benzoyl Peroxide and Erythromycin, an antibiotic) all over my face for an extra punch of blemish/acne fighting ingredients. I let about 3/4 of the way dry and apply Cetaphil moisturizing lotion to my face by PATTING it on, NOT rubbing. This helps the lotion to absorb without interfering with the medicine.

In the morning I wash my face with Purpose gentle skin cleanser, tone with Neutrogena alcohol-free toner and apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF 15 on my face (although I might switch this moisturizer out because it makes my face quite shiny throughout the day).

So far this is the only thing that has ever made and KEPT my face clear. My period is coming up soon (sorry...too much information) and I will see how this regimen keeps up during the "battle" :)

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by jrobsf

Works pretty darned well for me in conjunction with my double-cleanse OCM (jojoba oil followed by Cetaphil Daily Cleanser).

My version of the mask:
1) Dissolve four or so aspirin in a tiny bit of water.
2) Add about a tablespoon(+) of honey.
2) Glop onto face. it's a messy, so carefully spread it out with your fingers.
3) Wait a bit--I'm currently doing ten minutes, but that seems conservative.
4) Rinse it all off. You can rub the mask into your skin for a little extra exfoliation--I'm on the fence about that, as my skin generally prefers chemical exfoliation to manual exfoliation..

Classic video on the method:

This has almost completely cured my stubborn adult acne, particularly the hormonal cystic acne on my neck and jawline that I never thought would go away. Curious to step up the exfoliation with a glycolic peel soon.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/9/2006 7:18:00 PM More reviews by Tiger_Tim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Argh. I wrote this originally in Dec. 2004, but I just deleted it in error. Luckily I could go back a page and retrieve the info:

(original review)
NO NO NO NO NO.. being at the end of a lot of reviews I am worried this post wont get attention. I had NEVER in my life had an adverse reaction to anything on my skin, but after just ONE use of this 'miracle mask' I was left with HORRID skin (and usually I never need foundtaion). I had small red spots all around my temples, my face was red and just generally looked awful. I did not leave it on too long or use too many asprins or mix it with anything either. If you plan to use this, I suggest using on a small area to test first.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2005 3:08:00 AM More reviews by chicbicyclist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just a tip or two if you are going to use this mask. You will expereience some sort of breakout after using this because of the way it works: it speeds up the shedding of your skin.

Remember, pimples actually start to form about 2-3 weeks before it actually "breaks out". Speeding up the process makes it appear that you are experiencing a more nasty breakout than usual, but that should clear up within a week or two and should get results.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2007 11:13:00 AM More reviews by redandblackstripes

wow. i looove this. im 16 and i had the worst case of acne. Seriously. I have a really big exam at the end of this year and all the stress was making my face even worse. Usually i'll get like a few huge ones but now i can have like 10 on a cheek. i've never gone to a doctor or anything as my mom only thinks it as just "a phase" (she had acne like mine and now somehow she has perfectly fine skin)and besides acne isnt really such a big deal here.I have always searched the net for anything i could use and then a came across this aspirin mask . Desperate, i tried it straight away. my skin is very sensitive and it can be super oily and super dry. it'll peel,it'll look like stretch marks, it was just horrible. i bought 8 aspirins for like $USD1.the first time i used it , i didnt really see any major difference. So i bought 16 more but i didnt use it for my whole face . I took 2 aspirins ,added a few drops of water, put it only on the affected areas and left it for 15-20 mins.I did this 2 times a day. My mom though i was mad. Peolpe told me that i should use sunscreen , eat more fruits and veggies, eat less chocolates, drink more and this and that But now after 2 months just using the aspirin mask, i have smoooooth skin. No more pimples ,blackhead,whiteheads or bumps! what was left was some acne scars from years back. Everyday, i see it getting better and everybody has been asking me what i've done. I looove it!! i practically owe my life to it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2006 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Shmabby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So I've been playing around with this a bit and I think I've found the perfect recipie. I need to add that I've just started using prescription Retinol A on my face, so I doubt that this can be completely attributed to the aspirin mask but this latest recipe seemed to do wonders for my problematic acne prone, oily, blackheady, combination dry skin. So I crushed 4 or 5 aspirins and then added some thayer's witch hazel to make it a paste. Then I added a blob of honey and mixed it up (which made it very runny). Then I added some Queen Helene's Mint Juliep mask and applied it to my entire face. I left it on for 30-45 minutes. It didn't really dry (probably b/c of the honey). My face felt really smooth, and my pores looked fantastic. This was the best result I have ever gotten from a mask or any 1 time treatment. The blackheads were minimized - I couldn't believe my eyes. I am thrilled with this new recipe, especially since I've been diddling around with this mask for a while and not finding very impressive results until now. I am THRILLED.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2008 4:56:00 AM More reviews by jawbreaker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Do not use if you are sensitive or allergic to asprin. Other than that, this is awesome! I do not see the point in adding things to this, I just get 4-6 aspin in my hand, add a little water until they start to "melt", then apply to my face. I use this as a scrub and also as a mask....I just leave it on a little longer if I am using it as a mask. Once it starts to dry, it will start to flake off and can lead to sneezing...so once you feel it tightening up, rinse it off. This is a cheap yet effective way to help unclog pores and refreshen your skin. It is also great used on your hands, feet, etc. Regardless of where you are applying it, using a foundation brush or similiar helps with application but you can also just use your hands. I have told so many people about this since learning about it on MUA a few years ago and everyone loves it. In fact, just a few days ago at the Thanksgiving dinner table I mentioned it...the topic of the various uses of Asprin came up and I happily shared the asprin mask: my SIL and nieces' ears perked up and they can't wait to try it! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by ManAndWoman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

With milia, it seems no matter what angle you choose, whenever you look in the mirror, all you can see are bumps. Bumps can diminish your sense of beauty, no matter how pretty your eyes, your lips, or your hair may be. Some lady at work even rudely pointed them out to me, as if I hadn't known. I thought about those bumps for a long time, and I hated them. I really wanted them to go.
I started using the aspirin mask a few weeks ago, and bumps that have been there for years finally rooted up. It was so satisfying to see the entire seed do a peek-a-boo, and a few days later, just POP out. I've been using aspirin as a mask and a scrub daily along with honey and this brought out the clarity and smoothness I dreamed of.