September 21, 2014 | 1273 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Muslin Wash Clothes

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by estel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a 6-pack of Bubba Blue Cotton/Bamboo Muslin Face Washers as I'd heard about how great muslin washers are for your face, and have also been wanting to get away from constantly using and discarding tissues and cotton pads while doing and removing makeup. I have not been disappointed! My skin is fine with it, and I am no longer going through mountains of disposable cotton pads and tissues.

I use a fresh washer to take my makeup off in the evening: I just wet a patch of the washer with my makeup remover (currently Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover) and use it like I would previously have used a cotton pad (gently wiping makeup from my eyes and face). I then rinse the washer and take it into the shower to wash my face. I hang it over the cupboard to dry, then in the morning grab it again for my morning shower to wash my face. Finally, after I've finished doing my makeup, I use the exact same washer to wipe my brushes off (using Mecca Cosmetica Brush With Success Brush Cleanser; previously I'd have used a tissue for this). I give the washer a final rinse and then chuck it into the laundry hamper. The dark eyeliner/mascara/shadow marks (from makeup removal and from brush cleansing) just rinse out with a little bit of soap (I imagine, though, that if you weren't diligent and left it to dry without attempting to get the marks out, the washers would stain permanently).

I will definitely repurchase if I find 6 isn't enough.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2013 6:13:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

My skin was going through a phase. I tore up and old pillow case and started using it to wash my face. I don't know what motivated me; it just felt like I should. Then I googled it...no one was using squares of Egyptian cotton (aka ripped up pillow case) but they WERE using Muslin cloths.
I had a grudge against buying 3 Muslin cloths for 20 bucks when I could buy a bolt of muslin and make them myself.
So I did.
I have to say, I am glad this is still under "unlisted" because I don't want anyone to know how *freaking great* muslin wash cloths are.
We are talking gentle but yet...micro exfoliating! I made 30 wash cloths out of a great bolt of muslin cloth I bought at a fabric store, for less than the cost 3 Liz Earle cloths
I admit...I ordered a set last night, because I must know what the difference is. Now that I am a believer in the Mighty Muslin Wash Cloth, I figured I try the pro version.
In summation: I have been using muslin for about three months with the most basic skin care regimen I have ever used:

Simple Refreshing Face wash + Muslin cloth.
Impruv Moisturizer.
and that's all.

I might use Simple's soothing toner once in a while because it is a toner, not an exfoliant.
Personally, I have learned that my skin has really changed. When I was younger I could scrub the heck out of my skin, not use moisturizer and harsh things like sea breeze-YIKES-but I still had clear, smooth skin.
Now that I am *much older* I've discovered that the gentler and less complicated the routine, the better the results.
***UPDATE***
the "professional" muslin cloths (Eve Lom) are not good for my skin. I find them to be of a cheaper, flimsier material than the cloths I made myself. The bolt of unbleached, fine muslin I bought serves me very well. I tried the E. Lom cloths and irritated my skin and broke out a bit.
In my opinion and experience, DIY is preferable than "professional" in this circumstance.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by careypiper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

When starting MUA, Skin Care was one of the many reasons I joined. A year ago I picked up one of those package of 10 White Wash Clothes at Kohl's and over the year have seen it repeated over and over again "Don't use regular wash clothes on your face." So I started looking into Muslin wash clothes but never purchased them even if they were only $12.50 for a dozen. Instead I wondered about the Clairsonic and picked up a manual facial brush to see how my skin would handle the scrubbing. It didn't go well (glad I didn't go over board with Clairsonic). Finally I've purchased my Muslin Wash Clothes and I'm a little upset I was so stupid to wait so long to do it.

I ordered mine from Amazon just typed in Muslin Facial Cloth they're in the Health & Beauty Department and are 100% cotton, dimensions prior to washing: 17 x 23 inches. They are huge but it works out because I'm always using a clean part to remove my makeup. In the mornings when I'm just using them to rinse off my face they help the skin my BHA or AHA worked on the night before and I finish off with a whole body wash up in the shower. My skin hasn't been happier! No more rough elbows or knees, dirty belly button or my issue of less than pristine decolletage. I do finish up with a body wash on a shower scrunchy.

Exfoliate with a wash cloth for dry chapped lips, ha ha Muslin will do it ten times better. How about one of those LUSH Lip Scrubs? The dead skin attaches to the Muslin not smeared around on your lips with flavored sugar that they say lick off Ewwww.