April 17, 2014 | 1682 users online

Polishes - Hand and Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I had little patience for manicured nails, and I am super hard on my hands. My husband loves colored nails so I searched for the strongest, longest-lasting polishes I could find. I use Gelish colors with the LED lamp, and they last up to 3 weeks on my hands, and at least a month on my toes! Gelish has a beautiful range of fun colors, so I don't get bored with the same old look. I can't imagine why I'd ever use anything else on my nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by ashlou7891

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This little star can be used for many things .. Base coat, top coat, add a gloss to natural nails .. Or as an alternative to shellac .. 1st apply base coat then alternate with polish colour, gelish & repeat & finally apply a top coat & hey presto hard wearing .. Lasting polished perfection!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My salon using Gellish top and base coats with Dare to Wear Perfect match (colors) gel. They wear for 2 - 3 weeks with no edge wear and minimal ridge chipping. I may even buy some when I (finally) invest in my own LED lamp and system. Very good!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 10:11:00 PM More reviews by ladykestryl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product. The base coat and the top coat are wonderful. I have used this for a few months. Long enough to use the Gelish colors I have, from Sally's and to do the Gelly Sandwich technique. Since I have oily nail beds, I can get about 10 days of wear from Gelish colors and the regular nail polish I "sandwich" in between the base and top coats. The key to this technique is to allow the regular nail polish to fully dry before you place the top coat on the nail. I have used fast dry and regular dry nail polish, and had the same wonderful results. The foil technique is the best to take this off. Once my normal stash of nail polish is exhausted, I will probably buy exclusively gel nail polish just for the wonderful wear, unless there is another technological miracle the cosmetic gods and goddesses create.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 10:22:00 AM More reviews by MissLulu1

Love Gelish, I do my own nails at home and have recently stopped buying Shellac and started using Gelish which is much harder wearing and shinier. Not easy to apply and it does take practice but once applied correctly I have perfect nails for at least 10 days. Make sure the first coat you apply is perfect, ensure the gel does not flood your cuticles or touch your skin, if it does this will cause lifting once dry. Also make sure you seal the free edge with each layer, very important to prevent chipping. Take your time, it takes a good hour and make sure you have excellent light, I use a nail lamp, yes it really does make a difference, application is everything. Enjoy salon results at home!! It last 4-6 weeks on my toes, basically until it grows off. I have lots of colours, at the moment my favourite winter ones are plum and done (dark purple), good gossip (sparkly red), bellas vampire ( dark almost black), a glitter gelish looks great over bellas vampire to add some sparkle. One essential tip is to use a nail oil daily to keep your nails from drying out and dehydrating which could cause peeling and chipping. I have learnt this from experience by using a nail oil you will keep your nails in tip top condition!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 2:47:00 AM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love gel manicures! At one point I got really interested in them so when my husband offered to buy the light for me I went and ordered a gelish starter kit from amazon. I really just liked the bottle design and name. Ive never had gel nails done at a salon so it was all new to me. Of course I read alot of instructions and watched how to videos on youtube. Its not as hard as you may think at first but it does take a long time to do a full manicure with a standard uv light. The results are worth it, though I still want to invest in the 18g led light to speed up the process. Will be saving my pennies for a long while for that! All in all I am happy with this brand. They are always releasing new colors and I havent had trouble at all with any of the colors Ive used. I cant really use regular polish anymore because its so disappointing when it chips and flakes!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

I bought the steps of prep, foundation and top coat. I bought the UV light from Amazon.

I tried sandwiching with my OPI colors. Had zero luck with keeping this on my hands longer than 5 days. And it looked bad because I couldn't keep it off my cuticles and yes I wiped my cuticles with an orange stick and kept layers thin. I read the Literature and watched You-tube videos until I was dreaming this sh!t.

Then I bought the colors of Gelish brand thinking that would make a huge difference. No better luck.

By this time I was deep in debt trying to SAVE money to not go to a salon to get my nails done. But my nails looked like crap and meanwhile I could not stop stressing over how crappy they looked! As I was picking at the junk on my cuticles...

I give the product a 3 because I think it works but you need to be able to apply it properly. All of the talk about just apply like nail polish is crap. There is more to it. If you watch the nail people, they prep the hell out of the nail bed before applying and there is a method to their application. Thin layers, smooth nail bed, no cuticles, the list goes on.

So I finally give in and get a set of gels done by a pro and realize that I will never be as good as they are at nails. (They do 20 sets of nails a day and it helps to have an extra pair of hands. So I hear.)

I give up and will have to take nail tech off my resume. So much for skill sets. Anyone want a spiffy UV light that fits 2 hands???

{Sorry for the length of this but this is for all those people out there like me who thought yeah I can polish my nails, let me DIY some gels.}

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 8:57:00 AM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I work in a hospital. We are not allowed to have acrylic nails for safety reasons. We are allowed to have nail polish as long as it is not chipped. This is hard because regular nail polish will last 3 days tops on me and then I have to redo my nails. I tried gel nail polish a few months ago and I am hooked. I bought a UV light off of amazon and they have a huge selection of gel nail polish. I have about 20 gel nail polishes. You have to apply a foundation base coat and a top coat. I find the gel nail polish will last almost 2 weeks. This is amazing for me since I am constantly washing my hands at work. If you do your nails a lot then I would recommend buying your own UV light and nail polishes rather than going to a professional. Some people I work with are paying $35-40 every 3 weeks for gel nails. To me that is really expensive when I can do it from home anytime I want. The nail polishes will run around $13 each on amazon but a little of this stuff goes a long way. I do my nails, my sister's nails, nieces, and friends and I haven't even made a dent in my polishes yet. If you need a long lasting manicure then I would definitely go with gel.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by meliatx1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't use this every manicure because I am ADD with my color choices. But if I am need to have a manicure to last more than 3 days, this is what I choose. I make sure to do it prior to a shower (to be sure my nails are dry). I clean up my cuticles with blue cross cuticle remover. I file my nails and buff a bit. I use the ph coat, then the top coat. I have a UV lamp that I got off ebay. Color and then top coat. One nice thing is it hardens or strengthens my nails. That keep the polish from chipping too. Only down side is my Sally's Beauty does not have a huge stock of colors and they also keep colors behind the counter due to theft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2013 6:33:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

i will admit... i have a fetish for gel nails. i love how they look- mirror glass finish, if my nails didnt grow so fast- the gel would last 4-5 weeks, i never have to worry about knicks, or sitting around waiting for a base coat, color and top coat to dry (which can take upwards of an hour), when i am done curing them, i can dig around in my purse and not worry about a thing. i have tried many brands of gels- OPI, shellac, nutri-nail, and sensational (bought at walgreens) and i must admit that gelish is by far my favorite. With that being said, i know it is very expensive- i bought the lamp, 2 foundations, 2 top it offs, 2 bonds, a few of the cleaners and a few of the gelish acetone bottles- along with about 30 colors. I spent a TON of money... however, i was paying $20 every two weeks on a gel manicure, plus a tip. After a year- all of it will have paid itself off. thats not including my gelish pedicures i do in the summertime. if you are able to afford it, go buy the starter kit, a few of your favorite gelish colors and the lamp- you can always add colors later on... i absolutley love it, the variety of colors, the easy step by step guide. One recommendation i have- if you decide to buy your own kit- stick with an LED lamp instead of a UV lamp. Why? I found that the LED is quite a bit cheaper AND the cure time for your nails is 75% faster with the LED. Sallys has everything there to get you started- which will save you so much money in the long run! I give it 5 lippies for the quality of the product, the selection of colors (they have 100+ colors when many other brands dont have half the selection), its easy to apply, and easy to soak off (if you follow the directions properly). IT does take me 3 hours or so to soak off, trim, file nails and cuticles, and apply and cure layers of polish- but its so worth the 3-5 week stay time! LOVE IT! <3

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No