October 1, 2014 | 1605 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte Perle - Mesmerizing Purple #06

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I usually buy L'Oréal lipsticks for practical colors, and MAC lipsticks and glosses in unusual colors and finishes. But i am a pushover for violet and purple lipsticks, and i had to have YSL Mesmerizing Purple, a very dark violet-purple. (i've seen it listed as both #06 and #106)

I never before bought a lipstick this expensive. But, then, i never felt a lipstick this smooth and silky. It just glides on with no effort (perhaps due to silicon). With one application the color is deep and rich, no need to keep swiping it on. The finish is pearly, subtly shimmery, even a little opalescent, but not frosty or glittery. And the color lasts a fairly long time for something this soft and soothing on the lips.

The case is rather spectacular, too. Like some other rather high end products, the case is weighty, actually all metal, and has an enameled YSL design, although i'm not crazy about logo items. It is far classier than the average plastic D/S lipstick case. More striking than the stark black cases of a number of moderate to high end lines, it looks almost like jewelry.

I am happy to wear this color anytime i am in the mood. For most people, because it is so dark it will probably be better for fall and winter, or for dressed up evenings other times of the year.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2010 5:53:00 PM More reviews by oolala30

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This color is referred to as 'Mesmerizing Purple'. Mesmerizing? No. Purple? Yes. In fact, this is so purple that it is just a stone's throw away from being black. That's not a bad thing, but its just not what I wanted this color to be. I tried it in the store before purchasing it and in the store lighting I thought it was so very beautiful...the perfect purple. Now that I've brought it home and have been wearing it for the past few days, I'm really not loving the color any more. The SA told me that this was a full coverage lipstick, but I think it is more medium to semi-sheer coverage. I dont know why, but this color turns out so blotchy on my lips.

As for the formula itself.... I love it!! It is so moisturizing and feels amazing on my lips. Also, even though I slightly disagree with the SA in that this is supposed to be full coverage, I still think this is a nice lipstick and it does last fairly well without a touch up...blotchiness and all. I hope that my use of 'blotchiness' is not misleading. I really think that this is because of the color of this lipstick and not the formula itself. Its kind of hard to get full, smooth coverage from something so dark, at least it is for me.

Overall, I do really like this lipstick formula. I am taking #06 back to the store since I cannot make this color work for me. However, I do plan to try this formula again. Maybe one of the other colors will work out better. As for the formula itself... I really love it and I think it is worth the $34 price tag.

For reference, my skintone is NW45 (MAC)