NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Hopi

on 4/23/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

For me this is a 3.5 star product, rounded up to 4.
I love the color: it's a peachy, nonshimmery earthy nude with a touch of brick red. I think NARS does fabulous warm reds & neutrals and this is no exception. The color works well on my pale, warm toned complexion. Color reminds me of my HG NARS lipstick, Mindgame. Actually that's why I purchased this... the local sephora was sold out of Mindgame, and this looked like the closest replacement. A little of this goes a long way, and it has decent staying power for a gloss.
But this will never be a staple, or even a true 4-star product for me, for two reasons: #1, it's a bit sticky for my taste, and #2, the packaging is really bad. The formula is glossy and nondrying, but just a bit too sticky to be comfortable on my lips. it's less sticky than a mac lipglass or the NARS potted glosses, but still I find the tacky texture distracting. Secondly, the pencil requires frequent sharpening, leading to wasted product and a big hassle. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, it melts easily even when the temperature is only a little warm. As it stands, I wouldn't repurchase it for those reasons - i will stick with NARS sheer lipstick. But this is a great color and if they repackaged it in a swivel tube, I would love it.

on 8/19/2011 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hopi is one of the colors from the Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil collection. It is glossy, not matt. It goes on as a slightly frosty pale peach-beige. I have pigmented lips but it still has enough coverage to give a very sexy beige lip look without washing me out. I love that it makes my lips look a bit fuller and, well, sexy. It stays on quite well (2-3 hours) but is slightly sticky, which I do not mind but some may. I do not detect any scent or taste. I think it looks great for tan, olive and darker skin tones.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

A great color for pale, warm-toned women -- but it needs a new applicator.

Hopi is a very slightly muted terracotta, which is flattering but also fresh for my NC15 skin and lightly pigmented lips. (Its closest match is Nars Blonde Venus.) The texture is thin and a bit "oily," but also moisturizing. It's similar to the Bobbi Brown treatment lipsticks.

But the formula is so soft and so liquefying that it melts inside the pencil, even in May temperatures of 60 degrees. I can't keep it in a pocket or even in my purse all day -- the tip softens so much that the product smears all over the cap before I can get it spread on my lips. I have to keep it in the fridge to be able to use it, which means I can't carry it with me for touchups. I can't imagine how it will be in July or August.

Nars should put this in a thin swivel tube, like the Dior Serum de Rouges or the Cle de Peau Extra Silkies. Then I'd buy it again, because I love the color.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

I really like this. My only complaint is the price. Everything else is good. I don't know if I would repurchase this color or not but am definitely glad that I tried it, and I know that I would try other colors in this formula.
Edit:
This lip pencil has landed in my top three favorite lip "glosses" I will definitely try to swap for another one since I can't really afford to by a back up. I will use the one I have sparingly so it lasts as long as possible.

on 2/28/2011 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I initially wanted to get the Chelsea Girls lip lacquer, but I didn't like the way it looked on me, so the girl at Space NK recommended this instead. The product is the glossy counterpart to the velvet lip pencils. I liked the way it felt on my lips, non drying and light as well as the ease of application.
The shads is a warm honey beige with a hint of peach that does not make me look washed out, a nice polished MLBB shade. The glossiness fades as the day goes, but the product is so easy to apply that I don't mind this.
*Edited * - I am knocking off a star as there's lots of wastage in sharpening the pencil - wish it came in "twist" form as it would make it much better value for money.

I am NC20, for reference.

Popular Lip Glosses