October 30, 2014 | 1464 users online

Lipstick - Chantecaille - Hydra Chic Lipstick

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by skwpt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased my first Hydra Chic in Water Lily, a medium cool-neutral rose. Unlike Lip Chic, it does not go on glossy, but application is smooth and slick and dries down to a satiny finish. It feels a bit dry to me because I normally go for sheer, moisturizing lip products, but it doesn't dry out my lips one bit. The color lasts for hours and fades evenly--it does not fade from the center of my mouth or leave the outer edges crumbly. Water Lilly complements my very fair pink-porcelain skin tone.

The tube is much thinner than the Lip Chics that I have been using the last year or so, but I don't find it a bad value because I use Hydra Chic less often--two to three times a day (max) compared to half a dozen applications of Lip Chic, which I basically wear as lip balm.

I would like to see these in person because I would not hesitate to buy another, if I could find a suitable color.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2011 11:06:00 AM More reviews by mskilicious

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Update: Disappointingly, this is not love for me. Using lipbalm underneath helps with the moisture problems but mutes the colour and diminishes the wear time. On its own, the formula is too dry for my lips. Sad to say that for me, this formula is not worthy of the price tag. Down one lippie to 3 - it's just way too pricey for what it is.

Original review:
I purchased this in Anenome last week, so this is an early review. I will update if my impressions of the product change.

First things first, this new Chantecaille lipstick formula was launched late 2010 I believe, initially in 4 shades (Trillium, Waterlily, Tiger Lily and Anenome - see karlasugar for swatches here http://karlasugar.net/2010/11/chantecaille-hydra-chic-lipstick-and-les-delices-de-rose-palette/). For Spring 2011, 3 new shades have come out (Aster, Canna, Willow). No glitter or shimmer in any - this is marketed as a matte formula.

I have not seen all of these shades in person as only 3 testers were available. That said, I have a hard time with lighter colours across the board - they're either too light, too pink, too brown, too peach etc etc (yes, I am Goldilocks) - so I was only really interested in Anenome, the red.

Anenome is a lovely, wearable shade on me: deep, but not overly dark and definitely not overly bright, neutral red base with a touch of brown, a little berry perhaps. Exactly the sort of lip colour I go for, to be honest. So far, so good.

Texture is light, very smooth going on. Drier in texture than Lip Chics, lighter and less creamy than their regular lipsticks, not particularly emollient. Feels quite slick for the first hour or so after application.

This formula is described as "modern, full impact lipstick that is hydrating and luminous with 6 hrs of great colour wear". This is where it starts to fall apart for me.
Full-impact? Yes, but no more so though Chantecaille's standard lipsticks. Colour also seems to fade/mute after an hour or so, even without eating/drinking.
Hydrating? Maybe. Less so than Chantecaillle's Lip Chics and their standard lipsticks, both of which I adore. I have dry lips all year round so I'm hard to please, but personally I don't find this formula to be moisturising. The best I can say is "not drying".
Luminous? I suppose. Finish is matte leaning to satin, not a flat matte.
6 hour wear? Hmmm not in my experience. There is less transfer due to the drier formula but it doesn't last 6 hours on me - more like 4 tops. Very little transfer on coffee cups, boyfriend's cheek, etc. As mentioned above, the colour seems to fade somewhat after initial application. Also, I can achieve a more even and long-lasting stain from their standard l/s, vs Hydra Chic.

Packaging is a silver skinny tube, slightly longer and thinner than a Lip Chic. Reassuring click when you put the lid on.

Price is 27 (ouch), compared to standard lipsticks at 23 - which worryingly are no longer on the Space NK website, although they are in stores. I'd be very sad if Chantecaille replaced their standard lipstick range with Hydra Chics.

I'm not wow-ed by the feel of these to be honest and I won't be rushing out to buy more. For price, moisturising qualities and feel, I still prefer Chantecaille's standard lipstick formula. Hydra Chics seem pretty much on par with the standard lipsticks in terms of coverage and longevity. For hydration, Lip Chics can't be beaten but obviously they are sheerer.

The colour of Anenome is fantastic, it's not drying, it performs well - I think I was just expecting more after excellent experiences with Chantecaille lip products previously.

Hydra Chics remind me of a lighter-feeling and more pigmented version of Chantecaille's Lip Sheer or Une's matt lipsticks - both good but not mind-blowing. The Une ones are also about 1/4 of the price of Hydra Chics.

Me: light skinned, cool-toned, dark hair, pigmented lips, both skin and lips are dry.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No