October 31, 2014 | 1559 users online

Shampoo - Desert Essence - Coconut Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Gonzoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this shampoo! But use the conditioner as well. It makes my curly/wavy hair super hydrated and soft. It also smells amazing. My BIL commented that my hair smelled good after we went to the lake and it got wet. My ends are soft and it does not make my hair greasy or oily. This is the only shampoo and conditioner that I use!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by SugarBubble

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a shampoo for dry hair?? I don't think so....after about 2 weeks of use what I have to say is that,If you have dry hair don't buy this product...I had high expectations because I read so many good reviews...I want to use it sometimes that I need to moisturize my hair....
I have greasy hair and this shampoo is like a shampoo for that type of hair....it gives me volume and cleans really well, also lathers well,but it seem that makes my hair a bit dry...maybe would be much more dry if I didn't use a good conditioner...
so how it can work for people with dry hair? I read in some reviews that they change the composition..maybe this is the culprit...I don't know...
I give 3 stars just because it smells great-something like coconut and pineapple- and because it is not so bad for my oily hair when I want to have a deep clean of my scalp and give some volume...but this shampoo is not for oily hair so I can't give more stars and confuse people with dry hair who want to try it!!!
the packaging also is a bit difficult to handle...you need to press quite tough to get the product out and this is a bit annoying....so maybe I do recommend this product to people with oily hair...I don't recommend it to those with dry...yes yes it is a shampoo for dry hair,but something goes wrong here.....!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by beefui

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This shampoo is very drying. It made my hair look like straw.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2014 8:57:00 AM More reviews by tanishaxo

I used Dessert Essence Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner, I really enjoyed the scent but it didn't really work out with my curly hair. After a few weeks it made my hair dry and caused my scalp to be itchy. It is a good price though ranging from $6-$9 depending where you purchase it from.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2014 3:08:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a typical example of a Greenwashing ripoff selling a suphate detergent based, drying and color-stripping shampoo and dressing it up with lots of cute fruit and vegetable names when it is in fact almost identical to cheaper sulphate brands. The main ingredients are water then sulphates - no wonder everyone is finding it drying and color stripping.

The company puts extracts at the top of the list to hide the sulphates deep down the list away from view, but if you check the ingredients after water there are tons of "extracts" listed...well "extracts" means water, with the tiniest bit of herb or whatever they can get away with just to make it look good. So the ingredients list should actually read:

Water, sodium coco sulphate, decyl glucoside, propanediol, coco-glucoside, butyrospermum parkii butter, coco nucifera oil, simmondsia chinensis oil, cannabis sativa oil, olea europaea oil, dehydroacetic acid, glycerin, hydrogenated coco-glycerides, sodium chloride, potassium sorbate, lauryl glucoside, benzyl alcohol, citric acid, stearyl citrate, fragrance, rosmarinus officinalis leaf, arctium lappa root, achillea millefolium, hamamelis virginiana, foeniculum vulgare, sambucus nigra, aloe barbadensis.

Sodium coco suphate is EXACTLY the same chemical as sodium lauryl sulphate, just hiding under a different name*

I would only recommend this as a clarifying shampoo if you like the smell of coconut and have oily virgin hair that you don't want to grow any longer than the shoulders.

*For a fairly easy science explanation of why sodium coco suphate = sodium lauryl sulphate see:
You will see both has the EXACT chemical identification number (CAS number) because they are the same product, except sodium coco sulfate is has impurities in it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2014 5:50:00 AM More reviews by Scatty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this product so far, 4 uses in. It adequately cleans my hair and scalp and has a nice smell. It leaves my hair feeling soft and reasonably manageable. I do use a good conditioner with it though, which is not the Desert Essence one. I would be interested in trying the matching conditioner.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by linwild

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This shampoo is supposed to be moisturizing, but had the opposite effect for me. I look for SLS-free shampoos, which are less likely to strip and dry out my hair. This is SLS-free, but contains another ingredient that produces lather. The shampoo left my hair dried out and stiff, even after using my usual hydrating conditioner and adding coconut/argan oil (as usual) after towel-drying. This is going to be donated or repurposed.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2014 3:52:00 PM More reviews by janne1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have bought this shampoo because my local store was not restocking the Fragrance Free Pure shampoo from the same brand.I have tried Desert Essence Red Raspberry shampoo but it was drying out my hair way too much so I tried this one.. because it says for the dry hair.... and the result was totally opposite from what I would expect. My hair got dry to the point that it breaks when i touch, I do not recall it being so dry... terrible result. I am giving it 2 stars because it seems to be working for other people, so maybe it has something which my hair is not reacting well too... but still can't give more than this because even Head and Shoulders shampoo does not leave my hair dried out and stripped from everything, breaking even on slight touch.. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2014 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Omykiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I admit - I stopped using conventional shampoos over a year ago. As I'm sure many people have already heard from someone, somewhere, they all seemed to exacerbate the oil production on my already naturally VERY oily scalp.

Now, having confessed that... when I do use a shampoo, which happens maybe once a month, it is this one. The smell is heavenly (& I don't even like coconut that much!), the lather is usually great (depends on greasiness), and this product caused the least amount of issues with my scalp oil production.

It was the last shampoo I tried before discovering a basic tea tree oil soap bar, which I'm happy to report has finally given me my desired results. I can actually go two entire days without looking like I've combed bacon grease through my hair!

Why do I still indulge in this Desert Essence Coconut shampoo on occasion? Mainly the smell :) Rare use of it does not throw my scalp completely out of whack, although I can feel the unpleasant difference in my hair the next day. BUT this is obviously just my personal experience. If I had a typical head of hair, I would probably adore this shampoo!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 4:10:00 PM More reviews by anisola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE THIS SHAMPOO. I have really fine hair that tends to be on the drier side. This shampoo does not weight it down and it feels so silky soft. I also love that it's completely natural. The only downside is that the coconut in it tends to get harder in cooler temps, making it harder to squeeze the shampoo out of the bottle. Not that big of a deal, but kind of annoying.