December 19, 2014 | 1549 users online

Lipstick - E.L.F. - Studio Matte Lip Color

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by haleyhay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't like this very much. I have the shade nearly nude, and I really like the color but the texture is just...off. It feels slightly grainy to me, and it does not look smooth when applied. I will finish the product, but I don't think I will purchase another. I much prefer Wet n Wild for a cheap matte lip.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2014 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Lexx13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got coral and nude colors a while ago, and they didn't impress me that much. I have seen swatches of tea rose and always wanted it. So I recently picked up natural and tea rose. First of all, natural is such a nice nude color, it's similar to MAC blankety which is my HG nude.
But I just tried tea rose and it's the most beautiful shade of plummy brown pink I can't even describe it. Really it's so perfect I can see myself only using this color for the rest of my life. If you only get one, get tea rose!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2014 10:52:00 AM More reviews by shelby1211

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great to use as a lipliner or alone, slightly drying but if you use a gloss or lipstick over it, it's really not a problem. Really enjoying this product. Great color

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 10:14:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

These are great matte lipsticks for the price. Some of the reviewers dislike the dryness and settling into lip lines. That's the definition of a matte. It is dry and if you have a lot of lines or dry flakey lips this will look like a hot mess on your lips. Expatiate and balm and night treatments are my mantra. If you really don't like your lines then stay away from mattes and stick to creamier and slightly glossier formulas. The wear period for me was a little over average without eating or drinking about 5 hours. I did have to re apply after a meal. I have praline, Tea Rose, Rich Red and Natural. For the price I leave them in my desk drawer at work in case I forget a lippy or carry in my pocket if I'm not carrying a bag. The long Pencil like applicator and pointy end (by the way there is a sharpner in the bottom) makes it easier for me to apply with out a mirror (except Red) There is a slight vanilla sweet taste to these but not obnoxious in my opinion. Bottom line if you like mattes and are on a budget these are a good buy limited colors but ELF is slow to move on expanding a line until they know it's going to be a good one.

11-5-14 - little update on these. I still love them HOWEVER, I own 4 and every single one of them was not properly attached to the bottom of applicator so if I had them un capped turned them over the whole product has come out of the applicator!!!!!!! No big disaster yet but they could get caught in cap, fall somewhere smush or get on clothing etc. BIG fail for me on that level. Plus when they are loose they swivel and don't apply easily. I know they are only $3 but product falling out of cap in all cases means there's a problem ELF and you need to re-think the process!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Simpliciti3

I love this lipsticks! I have the shades natural, coral and rich red.

I think the main reason why I love these so much is because of the packaging. It's in a shape of a marker and you twist the product up. I find that these are easier to apply on than a traditional lipstick.

My favorite shade is natural, it's a lighter mauve. It's a bit lighter than my natural lip color. Coral is.. well a coral. Rich red is a lovely red shade that works with my yellow skintone. The interesting thing I found about this particular shade is that when I first apply it on it looks like a raspberry red, then later it turns into a rich red shade. Not sure why that is but either way it's a nice red shade.

The formula of these is really nice, they last all day and they feel nice on the lips. Even though these are called a Matte lip color, they aren't flat. I would say that they are more of a mix between a matte and cream lip finish. I don't see a need to apply on a lipgloss over it, but you can if you prefer. I personally haven't had an issue with dryness like some other people have, but I always apply on a lipbalm before putting on any lip product.

The price is great! I usually purchase from the ELF website when they have a promo code of 50% off which occurs maybe 2-3 times a year, so instead of $3 I pay $1.50 for these! I think that $3 is already is great deal if you don't want to wait or you would prefer to buy these in store.

Overall, I love these lipsticks! There aren't too many shades, only 9, but I think that they are really nice if you find a shade you like and they are super affortable.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by taral001

I'm a huge matte lip junkie and I like this product. It's not too dry feeling on the lips and I love that it is more slender than a traditional lipstick or lip crayon, it's almost like a extra fat lip liner, so you can really draw it on nicely. I will say that the two colors I have, natural and tea rose, are slightly grey tinged so they may not work on everybody's skin tone. I typically mix natural with 906D Wine Room from Wet n Wild and it is the perfect natural looking lip that still has a bit of color so you don't look like you have dead mouth.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2014 9:39:00 AM More reviews by sage4dylan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the Rich Red color. I have been looking for a red lipstick that I can wear that is RED but doesnt make me look all crazy. This color matches my skin tone perfectly. Its a matte, which I really like. It goes on smooth and does dry after a while. It didnt hold up to me eating but I havent found many lipsticks that will. It holds up fine to general wear which is what i wanted. I looked at the other colors and really wish they had more selection. The rest of them look washed out. I would buy more if they had more. Anyway, overall, for 3$ this was a good deal for me and I will repurchase it again. Even if I want this look with a more glossy look, I have a gloss the same color red from LA Colors that goes over it great. I love MOST elf products and this one was a win for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2014 1:57:00 AM More reviews by lushlife505

This was just ok.
Nothing to special price was not bad but there are not many colors to choose from.
Also it seemed to wear off pretty quickly.
If you have chapped lips this is not for you.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by brelig

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this in the shade coral, which was a terrible color for me. I won't base my review on the color though, since a bad shade match can happen with any brand at any price point. What I will base my review on was the poor quality of the product. This had the strangest texture. It's so difficult to describe, but it was a bit like applying a dry paste to my lips. This particular shade emphasized every single crease and crevasse on my lips, and I definitely do not have dry lips or any lip issues at all. If I could have gotten over the weird texture, I definitely couldn't get over the taste. I really dislike flavored lip products, but this just might take the cake. It was weird and sweet and sort of chemically. The packaging looks nice, but the lipstick nub felt unstable in the tube. I was enthusiastic about the small size of the lipstick for precise application, but I'm afraid I won't be purchasing this in any other shades that might be a better match. Nope, this product failed on too many points for me. I wouldn't recommend this when there are so many other great drugstore options available.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure what shade I got since it was promptly thrown out, but it was a nude.

First off, I don't have an issue with the packaging other than the fact the product sits loose inside. That's annoying, but I can deal.

Anyways, this product tastes strange. No idea how to describe, just really disgusting especially during application.

The formula is VERY dry and patchy. It looks very caked up and that chalky appearance on my lips. Not cute.

Elf as a brand is just so disappointing...