November 28, 2014 | 1982 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Coeur De Vetiver Sacre

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by beatricerex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Vetiver, tea, pepper, and leather make up this one. It's got a warm, masculine aspect but isn't sharp or aggressive at all. I like it in all seasons -- it's like opening a new box of spicy, looseleaf tea. It's one of my "I want to be taken seriously" fragrances.

This is also the only perfume that has ever garnered me a compliment from a man. We were dancing together and he told me I smelled amazing. It's sexy but without trying to be sexy, and totally office-appropriate.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 8:57:00 PM More reviews by sucrose77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Typical vetiver fragrances join vetiver with citrus and woods, but Coeur de Vetiver Sacre in contrast uses fruit and black tea notes to create a very different, delicate take on vetiver. The opening is bright and a bit spicy, but then it softens, with notes of dried apricot and osmanthus giving it a fruity sweetness. As it dries down it becomes increasingly smoky, but it reminds me of smoked tea rather than incense. It is not a strong fragrance, and it wears fairly close to the skin.

I've gone back and forth on this scent. On one hand, I can see why it was apparently discontinued by L'Artisan, and is now being heavily discounted everywhere. It lacks a distinctive character--it doesn't stick in my memory when I'm not wearing it, and it's so light and mellow that it easily fades to the background. I would love L'Artisan to release an "extreme" version that pushes everything a little farther. Compare this to Amouage Interlude by the same perfumer, which also creates unusual pairings with fruit notes (in that case kiwi with leather and coffee) in a way that is surprising and memorable.

At the same time, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre smells very GOOD. I love osmanthus, tea, and vetiver, and they all play well together here. I think it's worth picking up a discounted bottle -- I find it relaxing to wear at night when I'm looking for the equivalent of a nice cup of tea before bed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A few months ago I acquired a sample of CdVS and thought of it as “not bad” and “nothing special”. Boy, was I mistaken. I consider CdVS to be a vetiver and tea composition, but it’s mostly all about vetiver. Some reviewers have pointed out that CdVS has vetiver in it, but not as a central component. I disagree: CdVS is a vetiver-centered composition with other notes supporting and accentuating the multiple facets of vetiver. The opening has a fruit juice quality to it--mostly apple and apricot. The fruit juice immediately settles down and morphs into dried fruits; the dried fruits play up the (gasp) fruity side of vetiver and it is difficult to separate the vetiver from the fruit. The same is true for the black tea note; tannic earthiness and pepper blend effortlessly with the vetiver. There is also a beautiful smokiness permeating not only the vetiver, but also the tea and the fruit. Perhaps this seems unremarkable, but the 3D vetiver is supported by a quiet, yet persistent woody oriental base with woody notes, tonka, and musk. It's almost as though two compositions are layered together and it makes me think of bread supporting meat to make a sandwich. We could eat the bread or the meat alone, but why would we want to do that? Castoreum appears later as the condiment that ties the oriental part to the smoky vetiver/tea. The animalic component also serves to render the composition “wearable” without feeling overdone or vulgar.

Sometimes the whole composition smells like leathery tobacco and sometimes it feels “green”, but definitely not in a crushed leaves or fresh cut grass sort of way. I like to think of CdVS is as a “spiritual” retreat for vetiver, but not in a religious or hippy sense. In this case, vetiver packs a bag, travels to the mountains, stays in a log cabin (with a wood fire and maybe some incense), drinks tea, and eats simple dried food.

Projection is average, but I prefer scents that stay close to the body. Longevity was a shock: I got at least 12 hours out of CdVS. This is definitely the longest lasting LAP fragrance I’ve ever tried. This composition is truly excellent and I consider it to be elegant and underrated. On the other hand, if you are not into vetiver and tea, then CdVS might not be for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 8:04:00 AM More reviews by masha814

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my favorite vetivers. It's a subtle, spicy vetiver with lots of light and space. I like heavy vetivers also, but sometimes, particularly in summer, I prefer this one. There is a lovely tea note as well that weaves in and out, and some very gentle, far away smoke. It's unique among vetivers and a real standout.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2012 8:01:00 AM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Pretty spicy black tea scent with bergamot. Nice I just wish they hadn't called it a vetiver. Sure it is there, but I am so used now to dry smokey vetivers that this one came as a disapointment. Maybe a vetiver with training wheels. If you want vetiver get Guerlain or Chanel Sycomore. Nice but would not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by ccspringer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Coeur de Vetiver Sacre is a lovely tea-vetiver fragrance that tries to balance sweetness and a bit of woody masculinity. To me, the fragrance develops in three distinct phases. The opening is brief dry, peppery flash, with a little bit of bergamot and spices. Then the scent grows and softens into a sweet and smooth tea scent, very different from the opening. It is a lovely wash of tea that shows off the fragrance of tea itself, not overwhelming it with lemon or spices. This is my favorite phase, but then the vetiver begins to take over. It's a very subdued, dry vetiver, and a bit masculine on me.
Ultimately, I really like this fragrance, but I find myself wondering, how many vetivers do I really need? I went through a huge vetiver phase earlier, and now I'm a bit vetiver-ed out. When comparing Coeur de Vetiver Sacre to other vetiver scents, especially those with very strong characters like Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Sycomore, it seems a bit too dainty and indecisive about its true nature. If it just settled in its gorgeous tea phase, I would love it more, but instead it morphs into a wan version of a better vetiver. I'll have to revisit it later and see if it stands out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 8:42:00 PM More reviews by singwritenow

Wow, I really love the musky, peppery, sexy, spicy scent of this fragrance that is a long lasting, powerful, yet subtle fragrance. The other reviewers have described in detail the precise blends in this fragrance and on me, it dries down to a saffron, musk, black tea and pepper scent, very intriguing and unique. I highly recommend this if you like spicy, woodsy scents.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by HelenVanPattersonPatton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you're looking for a heavy vetiver like that of Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, which I love, Cur de Vtiver Sacr isn't it. The listed notes (bergamot, orange, black tea, pepper, ginger, coriander, saffron, incense, birch, tonka, musk) are probably going to really intrigue you or send you running, but it's actually quite linear and wearable. Vetiver and bergamot tea are what CdVS boils down to for me, and it reminds me of a lighter, less smoky, less intense version of Tea for Two. Not a watered down version; a lighter/lightened/light hearted version. It's interesting but not daring, pretty but not girly, and even but not boring. I absolutely love it. Lasting power is great for a L'Artisan--this is obviously something being dealt with, as Nuit de Tubereuse, Traversee du Bosphore and Vanilla Absolument (fmrly Havana Vanille) have all worn for several hours on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by Rydenfan3

This is one of my new favorite fragrances. I usually consider L'Artisans like really expensive Demeters-absolutely no lasting power. However, I have found a few that last more than 30 minutes and this is one of them. Coeur de Vetiver Sacre contains notes of "bergamot, orange, black tea, tarragon, date, dried crystallized fruits, saffron, ginger, pink peppercorn, vanilla, incense, musks." I definitely get the bergamot and ginger, with the incense wafting in and out. The drydown is lightly vetiver with ginger,black tea and incense. It's a fairly linear scent that doesn't change much from start to finish. If you like spicy and warm scents give this one a try. Lasting power is decent-maybe 4-5 hours. Price is not too bad-I got this in London so I think it was about $90 usd. When this runs out I will definitely repurchase.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No