November 27, 2014 | 962 users online

Lip Treatments - TokyoMilk Dark Smoked Salt Lip Elixir

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2012 5:17:00 AM More reviews by lilblacksky

Got this from BH a few weeks ago. I was expecting it to smell very smoky from what I read on reviews and such. It doesn't smell smoky though (at least not in the tobacco/cigar sense, read on for details... ) It actually smells very tea-like. I'm not sure what tea, but it's a very familiar childhood smell for me. I just recognized it instantly.
There is something savory in the background too. It's smoky here in the sense of, say, smoked fish or smoked ham or smoked tea. It doesn't smell like smoked fish (well, to me) but the smoke scent that smoked foods share is kind of in there, if it makes sense. The savory aspect seems to strengthen in warmer weather. I have never even heard of smoked salt prior to this product so I can't comment on whether it smells like its namesake. The smell is very faint once you apply and doesn't last long. There is a very slight sweetened-tea taste to it as well although it is very faint as well.

Overall, it doesn't quite give me a "dark" feeling. It's more of a comfortable and very nostalgic scent. Whenever I get a whiff of this, I somehow instantly feel a vague grasp of something from my very early childhood days. It's one of those "instantly transport you to a memory you can't remember enough to put into words" scents. It's so nostalgic, that it's almost depressing. I suppose it is dark in that way.

As for the lip balm itself, it is petroleum based. If you generally like petroleum for your lips and cuticles, you will like this. It is a little thicker than standard Vaseline and also seems more protective and much longer lasting. It protects rather than moisturizes; I have been applying this every day and it works very well for my easily chapped lips and cuticles. The unusual scent and pretty packagings are really great at reminding myself to reapply.
I really enjoy when a brand puts thought and effort into its packaging design like TokyoMilk obviously did. Love the aesthetic. The tin is a bit bigger than I imagined it but more for my money I suppose. The only true flaw I can see with the packaging is the lid's thin edges. It's not "curled" and tightened like most vintage tins are, and I can see problems with the lid staying on for people who do not treat it as gently as I do (I usually leave it in my pocket; no room to rattle around there).
Overall a nice product, and I will buy again, but will probably try a different scent next time.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 9:42:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I'm a sucker for salty/sweet combos so when I read the description of this balm online, I couldn't resist.

It arrived yesterday and I eagerly opened the tin to see what it really smelled like. Unfortuantely, all I got was a giant whiff of smoke. And not like the good, fireplace-y smoke I was anticipating. No...this smelled like smoked cod which is one of the smells I detest the most in this world.

I couldn't smell any of the vanilla, burnt sugar or molasses that are supposedly mixed in here. Straight-up smoke filled my nose and stayed there for quite a long time. I didn't dare even use the balm because I couldn't get past the scent. I bought another flavor, so I know that the balm is a thinner consistency but not too sloppy or goopy on the lips.

I'm giving this a 3 because it definately smells like smoke and salt; however, it's just not for me. If you like unique scents and can stand to have this right under your nose all day, go for it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2011 8:22:00 AM More reviews by MoiBelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received this in swap brand new as extra from a lovely swapper. This is a great product, smells good and moisturizes lips really well, not steaky at all. I find the smell far from being gourmand not really true to the notes listed from Tokyo Milk website. First application, smells of faint cigar was present but eventually goes away, I detect slight burnt sugar(probably that is why this smells quite of a cigar),very very light vanilla and some fruity note at the background like carambola(star fruit)which is nice because it tames down the smoked scent. I still gave this 4 lippies since overall this smells just fine and a very nice lip conditioner. the tin packaging is just so cute, edgy and sophisticated. also it is big enough that it will last a long time to finish the product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Rydenfan3

First off-the packaging on this is cute but the only thing identifying the flavor inside is a sticker that prevents you from opening the container. I couldn't tear it so I just left it on for now. Annoying though. Smoked Salt description: "Flavor Notes: Smoked Sea Salt, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Vanilla Bean.".
What are these LIES? I get no smoked salt, no burnt sugar, no vanilla and certainly no vanilla bean. The balm smells like Lapsang Souchong tea.**edited** On first application I thought this tasted like cigarette ashes. It did for a second but I decided to give it another try. It really tastes like slightly sweet Lapsang Souchong tea. Since I love tea scented/flavored things, this is great but if you were expecting some kind of gourmand flavor a la salted caramel, this will disappoint. The consistency is pretty thick without being sticky and a little goes a long way.