October 25, 2014 | 1828 users online

Loose Powders - Bare Escentuals - Brilliant Gold Beauty Duo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The sales pitch during the winter holiday 2010 said:
"We've infused our Mineral Veil finishing powder with real gold powder to indulge your bare skin with the warm radiant glow of pure gold. This limited-edition Brightening Gold Mineral Veil imparts a subtle, sheer pearlescent glow to your skin, while gently absorbing oil and minimizing the look of fine lines and pores for a fresh, flawless look all day. Cased in a gold custom-color mirrored compact, it's the perfect travel partner for fast, on-the-go touchups. Also includes custom gold-finished Buff & Go Brush."
I bought this on deep sale when it was being discontinued, from the Bare Escentuals website. I wasn't particularly interested in the powder, i just wanted the case and brush so i could take my bareMinerals foundation with me. Of course, once it arrived i had to try out the powder... It is a warm tinted Mineral Veil with the faintest of shimmer, not quite as airy in consistency as ordinary Mineral Veil (i love that stuff!).
I am not into the current bronzer craze, although i do own a couple bronzers. And i remember the contouring craze back in the 70s when brown-ish powders and creams were used to give the face more apparent bone structure, something i did do. Because Brightening Gold is a somewhat deeper color than my Original Foundation in Fairly Light, although not as dark as most bronzers, i dust it on where one might normally use contouring powder or bronzer: on my temples, brow ridge, and the underside of my cheekbones.
I probably wouldn't buy the powder again.There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's nice stuff. But, while it is very nice, it is neither something very special or unusual nor is it an essential for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2011 12:12:00 PM More reviews by sekhmet

I usually don't splurge on products like this, but I bought at as a Christmas gift for myself. I saw the tester at Ulta, and immediately coveted the pretty gold compact and brush! Then I tried some of the product on my hand--it is so fine and silky--and I was hooked! I was only worried about 2 things: that the powder might be too shimmery, and that the compact might not be refillable. Well, the powder is hardly shimmery at all; it just poofs a 'veil' of perfection over your skin--looks lovely and feels good. I've been using this as my finishing powder nearly every day. I haven't used the brush yet, I guess I'm saving it for some time when I want something more glam than the usual in my purse. The tester brush was super soft, though, so I'm sure mine will be fine. As a thrifty person, I'm looking forward to reusing the compact when the powder is gone. This is a truly lovely set in every way, and definitely worth the money!