August 31, 2014 | 979 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Nice n' Easy Foam

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by lilmissmay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am very surprised that so many people had a bad experience with this dye. However, I found it to be exactly what I was looking for. I had very damaged, dry hair to begin with from years of bleaching, and straightening, etc. My hair was basically straw. I was on this site searching through hair dye reviews because I wanted something that would leave my hair in better condition, and I also wanted something that would cover every inch of my orange/golden hair. Previously I had bleached it, and dyed it red. And I know that red can be very hard to cover, so I decided to dye my hair black. Black is my natural colour, also.
So, having not decided yet, I went to walmart to check out their selection. They didn't have much for black dye, so the one I found that I was familiar with was the Nice 'N Easy foam in "black" It was $8.95 and I bought too boxes because I knew there was no way one bottle would cover all of my hair and I was not risking having orange and black hair.

When I first opened the box the first thing I noticed were these two tiny conditioner packets. This was the only thing I was not pleased about. they were hard to open, especially in the shower. and they didn't include much.
Also, the foam bottle had a line saying "short hair" and the liquid just touched that line. So i'm very glad I got too boxes.
The whole process was easy, not very messy, not much shaking involved. The dye smelled kind of like a mixed vodka drink.

I read the instructions while I waited for the dye to process, and it said something like, "may not work on lighter hair tones, best used on brown - dark brown" So this worried me a tiny bit, because like I said, my hair was a very light orange. And I absolutely hate brown hair, and I was terrified that my hair wouldn't be dark enough.

So finally I washed it out, all went well. My hair was far less dry than before I coloured it which I am super happy about, and the colour turned out amazing. It covered all of my hair evenly, It was as black as I hoped for, a very nice jet black with a tiny bit of a blue tint.
Not only would I recommend this product, but I know for sure I will buy it again. I'm very happy that I've finally found a colour, and dye that I am pleased with.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by btobey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked up this product cheap in Big Lots knowing very little about it, and after using it, I am feeling torn. On the one hand, it is a foam product that is very simple to use--easy mixing, simple directions, and easy application with no dripping. I liked the conditioner, and the color, although a bit darker than what appeared on the box, was, as promised, "Dark Reddish Brown," with a natural appearance, nice highlights, and good coverage for my few grays. (See posted photos.)

Unfortunately, I had several issues with this product as well. First, it had an odd smell, sort of like burnt coffee--definitely like no other hair color product I've ever tried. I could live with that, but it was also messy. It was fine AFTER application, but when I dispensed the foam into my palm as instructed, it caused splatters. Luckily, I was applying the product over my bathroom sink, but it was annoying to constantly have to wipe down the sink and surrounding area. I also found that the first day I colored (before I washed my hair), my scalp itched like crazy!

Finally, this dye stained my skin worse than ANY hair color product I have ever used. I usually don't bother with Vaseline around the hairline, as I've found this isn't necessary with most products (and I have tried many), but with this foam, I found that my hairline was stained so dark AFTER my shower that i had to scrub at it several times AND wipe away the excess product with makeup remover pads. Despite this, even two days later, I keep finding dark patches of dye in random spots of my scalp that I have to try to remove.

So, even though I was happy happy with the color, I don't know that I would purchase this product again given all of the issues that I experienced.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2014 3:06:00 PM More reviews by dustdrops

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I am pretty surprised at the low ratings of this product. I actually like this foam a lot; it's not very pricey and I like this more than the Garnier Nutrisse Foam. My natural hair color is a soft black with reddish-brown tones but I adore deep black hair with cool tones so I picked up 2BB - Blue Black. I tried the Garnier before in the same color and besides the fact that they are foam-type colors, they are quite different.

First of all, the Garnier smells awful—the typical repulsive hair color scent that requires you to open every window in the house—but the Clairol doesn't smell bad at all. It doesn't smell delicious per se, but it's not unpleasant either. Secondly, the foam is thicker and fluffier than Garnier's, which almost instantly turns liquid the moment it touches your palm, so there's less drip. Thirdly, Clairol's foam is easier to dispense, because you simply squeeze the bottle. Garnier has a pump dispenser, which isn't bad until your hand is covered in the liquidy foam and gets slippery. Also, Garnier's pump doesn't touch the very bottom of the bottle so there is still a bit of product left, which can be a waste if you have long hair.

Clairol's Blue Black has a smidge more blue in the sunlight than the Garnier, which has a more subtle blue, almost silver. Both of them, though, are still not as blue as I would've liked, (I find that L'Oreal's blue blacks contain more blue than Garnier or Clairol) but it stills looks very striking. If your natural hair color is lighter than black, the blue will most likely show up better. It will also make you look more dramatic and it makes your features stand out. However, it can wash you out if you're very pale, so you might have to apply blush or bronzer more often. Still, I do get compliments, which is good!

One thing I am impressed about, which goes for the both of them, is that the amount of product is just right. You don't need to purchase a second box because they have enough product to cover long hair, which means you can spend less just to color your hair.

In terms of performance, both are about the same. They fade faster than most colors, despite claiming to be permanent, which is why I took off a star. Creme/gel colors usually fade less than foams though. Clairol's conditioning treatment works well, but Garnier's conditioning treatment is a lot better. It makes hair soft and shiny, and I would buy dozens of the conditioner if they sold it in a bottle! It's that good, so a point for Garnier on that one. But both of the conditioning treatments smell equally good.

My verdict: I would recommend the Clairol foam, as the hair coloring experience is easier and with less hiccups. If you want long-lasting color, this one is not for you. However, if you would like to try black but you're afraid of the commitment, then by all means, go for this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Dbe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really liked the ease of application with the foam. I felt the coverage was thorough and even, though I am not an expert in hair color application. The foam does not drip or spill like regular liquid dyes- I even trusted my husband to put it on my hair after I broke my arm! I've used this product numerous times, but now I'm having trouble finding it in my area. I would definitely recommend using this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by emilyjane104

Do NOT use this unless you want it sticking around like a bad ex-boyfriend! I dyed my hair with the Darkest Brown 3 a year & a half ago and I made an account on this website just to come on here and give this review. Yes, the color was nice, I remember liking it a lot. I can't remember how it smelled but I do remember it was messy. The thing that makes me regret ever using this is it has left behind a horrible red color in my hair that can't be highlighted or bleached out. I tried getting highlights 6 months after using this product (which had since faded & I had almost forgotten I had used it). My natural roots took a beautiful highlight & from the point where this dye grew out to down was a pale red. I tried getting more highlights a few months after that & the same thing happened. Now today, a year and a half later, I just got done bleaching my hair & half of my hair is blonde and the half that was dyed this color is STILL RED. It will not lift out!! Today is the 2nd time I've bleached this week and I even used Colorfix a month ago in preparation for this and nothing is working. I really really want to go blonde and this hair dye has been ruining that for me for the past year. I don't know what they use in this that's different than other dye, but I seriously regret using it. I'll have to wait at least another year for my hair to grow out to a length that I would feel comfortable chopping all this red off before I can go blonde, or any shade lighter than the red that's been left behind for that matter!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2013 2:38:00 AM More reviews by makster

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this product for the first time today and decided to read the reviews After I've put it in my hair so I expected the worst ... to be honest this product is fine - it doesn't stink, didn't turn my hair into straw dry or hard, didn't irritate my scalp. I needed to lighten my roots and it did what its supposed to do. At first I was a bit skeptical about the foam as it looked like it wouldn't work as effectively as the traditional ones (I've tried at least 10 different brands in the last 15 years) but to my surprise it worked just as well as all the other ones. I really am not sure why it got such a poor rating but after reading the reviews and actually using it, I felt that I needed to step out and tell my honest opinion !

rated 1 of 5 on 11/22/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by josiebearly11209

Awful, Awful, Awful product! Save your money and your hair ladies and gents and do NOT buy this product!!!!!!! This product STUNK and smelt awful, it was icky and gross. I do not expect hair dye to smell like daises trust me but this hair dye smelt NASTY! I applied it like the instruction leaflet said and when I attempted to massage it into my hair as though I was shampooing my hair it wouldn't foam. My hair was stiff like gel the entire time it was processing and it was HARD! I have never had my hair feel like that! It was hard and stiff and when I put my head under the shower to rinse the dye rinsed out purple! I was using 2BB Blue Black and was expecting it to rinse out at least blue but nope it rinsed out purple. The conditioner that came along with the hair dye did sweet diddly squat for my hair to soften it or to condition it. My hair felt like STRAW when I was done with rinsing and conditioning it with the crap conditioner that came with it. Non the less I blow-dryed my hair and when I was done it still felt hard and like straw and the color is alright, not anything to write home about but it got me the black hair I have been craving (I formerly have been dyeing it semi-permanent to see if I like the color which I do much better then my natural hair colour) but it isn't shiny or soft at all. It is gross! I went to use my barrel waver as I am going out shortly (This ALL happened today) and it made my hair quite difficult to style, the waves weren't as nice as they were pre-dyeing my hair because of the texture my hair has been left with (I will albeit temporary until my next shampoo/condition in 3 or so days) and the waves look less defined and it has made my hair just gross. I am SO not happy and will NEVER buy this product again! I bought two boxes so next time I need to dye my hair I will finish up the second box but next time I am going to buy the John Frieda Hair Dye Foam that I originally had my eyes on buying.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wish i had read the reviews on this before using it last night. My hair was a caramel shade (like a dark golden blonde) and I purchased Nice n' Easy Foam in Light Brown as I just wanted to bump my color up a shade. When I mixed the color with the developer the first thing that hit me was the god awful stench. The bottle for dispensing the foam was the next disappointment. After I applied the first bit of foam it became slippery handling the bottle. The foam intself wasn't really foam, it was too liquidy to be foam. And boy did it STINK!

Still I applied it all over my head and waited 25 minutes. It took forever to rinse this out of my hair and I noticed how straw like my hair felt which surprised me. When I used the high lift color from L'oreal my hair never felt like this. When i looked in the mirror I panicked because my hair looked so dark! Like a very dark brown shade. I washed my hair a few times thinking maybe I did not get all the dye out. I saw some color rinse from my hair but when i checked again still a very dark brown color.

I ended up doing a soap cap this morning to get the color out of my hair because I hated it so much. So to those of you that pick up the Light Brown shade hoping to achieve a light brown color be careful because on me it ended up processing as a dark brown color.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by hughjanus

When I first bought this product earlier today in the shade medium ash brown (8A) I was very excited to try it out and I really wanted to like this product but I didn't, unfortunately. I hated the smell - it was so strong that it stung my eyes and nose. Having thin fine hair that is a little past my chest - the coverage of this product wasn't too great as it left me with blotches of my natural hair color. What I liked about this product is that it isn't as drying as other hair dyes as this one left my hair soft and shiny. Will I buy this again? Definitely not.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by JennyBean13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I recently used this in Medium Brown. The price was great at just 6.99 or something.

Pros:
-Lovely colour
-Doesn't fade easily
-Easy to apply.

Cons:
-The smell from this dye would wake the dead.

I'm sorry, the dye was great but the smell was just unbearable. It was so strong. My mother was like "they didn't even smell that bad in my day" Haha. Anyway, the results were great but just on the basis of the smell I won't be buying it again.