NYX Studio Perfect Photo-loving Primer

3.8

Ingredients- Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Isododecane, Cyclomethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Propylene carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Silica Silylate, Dimethicone/ PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i've learned after trying out a number of silicone based primers that they really aren't good for my dry skin. this one caused lots of flaking and dry patches, which led to my foundation only emphasizing the dry spots. rather than creating a smooth base, this primer seemed to agitate my skin and draw even more attention to the dryness. i guess that all primers seem to advertise their mattifying effect, but what about the dry girls??? maybe this will work or oily skin by i was not at all impressed.

on 2/19/2015 9:29:00 PM

On the fence with this primer. I have combo skin and shine is a big issue for me. I use the clear version to help my foundation last and to control shine. Feels silky and light on. I don't have any issues with it "not drying", I simply apply it over my face and let it sit for maybe a few minutes before doing the rest of my makeup.

Makeup glides on so smoothly and it helps smooth over dry areas to blend makeup nicer. It definitely makes a difference in my foundation lasting. Without primer my face starts to get shiny after like 1 hour and sometimes by end of day my makeup just does not look good (sliding off, patchy, muddy)! With this primer I usually only need 1 powder touch up over several hours. It looks great in flash photos too ie is invisible.

Only thing I noticed is after a long day (8h+) it sometimes makes my face feel a bit dry or tight towards the end. It's a bit weird but my skin gets that tight feeling you would on a cold day and I notice the drier areas on my face (outside corners mouth, around nose) look a bit red. After washing my face it feels dramatically better and my skin calms down almost.

I think the price was a bit high considering it's just NYX, it was $15 CAD. I'm not really sure what to think of this primer mainly because it seems to work great for shorter periods of time like 5-6h but just doesn't feel good on your skin after a long day (8h+). I wouldn't really recommend this product but I would say it doesn't hurt to try it as my overall experience with it is pretty good.

Sidenote I'm acne prone and it has never broken me out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've been using the clear primer every day for about 6 months. It does help to mattify, smooth, and cover large pores. However, the biggest benefit I have seen with this is that I get significantly less pimples since I started using it! I don't know why...all I can think of is that it stops other makeup and dirt from getting into my pores? I stopped using it for a week or so and started breaking out again! So strange...but hey, I'll take it!

I have a very oily face. If I use this under loose mineral powder foundation, I stay matte all day. If I use it under a liquid foundation, I do still have to use a mattifying powder on top to keep away the shine.

One recommendation: make sure you let it dry for a good 5-10 minutes before you put the rest of your makeup on! If you don't, it will just smear all over.

on 1/27/2015 9:03:00 AM

I love this primer!!!!! Its better by far than cover fx anti aging primer on my dry skin

on 1/22/2015 7:16:00 PM

I bought the clear primer a couple of weeks ago, I'm a first year nurse so you can imagine my different and very sudden schedule changes - I used to use a Napoleon Perdis primer and because I'd put on my primer before my makeup at such random hours of the day, I'd break out. This primer has not made me break out what so ever. Sure it takes a few more brief moments to settle into your skin but having a matte, smooth complexion is the better outcome. It definitely helps my foundation stay for long hours. I would definitely recommend this to use daily.

on 1/10/2015 12:25:00 AM

This primer is inexpensive & works as well as Smashbox.

on 12/27/2014 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought the green primer to see if it would help reduce the redness in my skin and blemishes, but I didn't notice a difference at all, it just seemed to blur certain things.
It did help my foundation glide on, but I have super oily skin so it didn't really do anything for oil control and my foundation did start to fade after awhile. It doesn't break me out or anything which is a plus, even if it doesn't help too much I would still buy it.

on 12/15/2014 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This primer is so great! I've never tried a gel based primer and I was a little skeptical about seeing if it worked but one day I just got it from target and it's perfect. I have oily skin especially when I wear foundations, but this primer keeps it matte all day. you can't even tell that you're wearing make up. I got compliments left and right.

on 11/7/2014 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have the green one and it's awesome! I have very dry red skin and not only did this help with the redness, my makeup went on and stayed on flawless all day. Def a great buy.

on 11/4/2014 1:57:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

CLEAR
I use this daily and have found it lends great staying power to my make-up throughout very long work days (16+ hours of make-up wearing). I use about a pea sized amount, swipe it gently around my face, and then press it in with my fingertips. I let it sit for a minute before dabbing off excess with a square of toilet paper. I find that if I skip the dabbing (just let it sit), it takes *forever* to completely set and I'm impatient.

Pros:
* easy to apply
* sets well
* keeps make-up in place all day
* fantastic price

Cons:
* takes a long time to set; need to dab off excess

Popular Primer/ Correctors