September 2, 2014 | 1199 users online

Eye Shadow - L'Oreal - HiP Matte Duo - Dashing #917

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by iwikiwii

I bought this shade hoping that I could use the black for an intense smokey eye, and the lighter colour for a beautiful browbone highlight. Sadly, I was mistaken: the lighter shade is actually horrendously pink for my taste so I could NEVER use this as a browbone highlight. That really upset me. However, I do use this shade toward the inner part of my eye to brighten up a look a little bit, and it works well for that.
The black in this duo is one of the best matte drugstore blacks I've ever seen! It has absolutely no fallout. It doesn't stay totally black on me all day - it starts to fade within 2-3 hours, but I have really oily eyelids so that's expected.
Overall, for someone on a budget, this duo is great for a darker look. But, I think that better blacks exist out there (/cough/ makeup geek's corrupt), and that lighter shade was a huge letdown for my personal taste, so I won't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by royas784

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought the HIP shadow duo in Dashing a couple years ago- I used it fairly regularly at first, but as I moved onto using other shadows, it sat there unused for quite some time. I started using it more and more recently, it's a definite staple for me now. I have NC 35 skin, so I don't usually wear pink shadows, but the pink in this duo is light and wearable, so it works well for me. Both shades have decent staying power, but work best over a primer. I use the pink shade on my lids, and line my upper lash line with the black. The black shade is pigmented enough, but not the richest, darkest black, so it's easy to work with and smudge (if desired). I sometimes also use it as a top lash line eyeliner when wearing other shadows- particularly during the day because it is a softer matte black. I highlight my brow bones with either a matte or shimmer cream colored shade. I really love the look I get with this duo- it's soft and pretty, yet very retro. I'd recommend this duo to those with light to medium skin tones. It's great for when I'm in the mood for a natural, retro look.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by yelloats

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is not very pigmented, i hardly use them as shadows. actually ive never even used the pink one really, doesnt show up very well. the black however, is very great for girls with black hair and wants to fill their brows. its not pigmented so its very natural and its matte. i kno sometimes it looks odd, when girls with black hair fill brows using brown. not many black/grey options. this one is great. love it for the brows

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by beachydolphin

The colors are nice, I rarely use them together though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2011 4:38:00 PM More reviews by LovelyThistle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love black eye shadow but since I am well over 40 now the harshness of it doesn't like me. I still love my MAC liquid eyeliner but I only use it as night now. The black from L'Oreal's Dashing is my new substitute eyeliner. It is very pigmented and the matte formula makes it wear wonderfully on my oily eyelids. I use UD Primer Potion in the original formula first and this shadow lasts and last. The pale pink is great to blend the black into and to highlight the brow area. This combination is my favorite, better than pure white which tends to make my green eyes look tired.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a slightly softer look than black liquid liner without giving up the drama. Paired with a nice thickening mascara and you have fantastic dramatic eyes that don't look harsh or aged.

I will be buying this again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2011 11:44:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love the L'Oreal HIP shadow duos. The pale pink makes a great all-over wash or a highlight. The black is very matte and much more pigmented than the pink - it works perfect used wet for a liner, or blended out for a smoky eye. I would say it is a dupe for MAC Carbon. The colors are nicely pigmented and they do last very well. The quality of these shadows is up there with most department store brands - they are a great drugstore value. I take off 2 lippies on packaging (my only gripe about this product) because the bottom compartment is wasted space & plastic, with the useless little sponge applicator. As soon as I buy these, I take it out and throw it away so I don't have to listen to it rattling around. L'Oreal could do away with that, save the packaging and save us all some money. Otherwise I love this and will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by AudB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really nice pink and charcoal combo. The charcoal can be used as a liner. It is very pigmented! Or, you can blend it into a smoky gray. The pink is like a "ballet pink" and goes on very light over bare skin. Both colours work better over a primer, but especially the pink. I wear this using the charcoal at the lash line, then smudged up over the lid. Then I use the pink on the brow bone and lightly over the lid, then blend well. It makes a nice smoky effect that isn't too much for day.

Price-wise, it is very good for what you get. I got it on sale for $4.98 CDN, but the regular price was only $7.99. The charcoal is much more pigmented than the pink, but both are more pigmented than most ds brand eyeshadows. The foam applicator that comes with it (in a hidden bottom tray) is useless, as is the little mirror in the bottom. It's very awkward trying to use the mirror from the bottom when you are using the shadow from the top.

It does wear very well over a primer with little to no creasing, even after 8+ hours. I never needed a touch up all day. I would definitely buy this again, and I would try other matte duo in this line as I prefer a more matte colour overall.