December 19, 2014 | 1508 users online

Lip Treatments - Burt's Bees - Tinted Lip Balm - Hibiscus

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Naima1587

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is great for my beige lips that is in dire need of color. I am an NC 42 for reference and I have been on the hunt for a MLBB that doesn't pull neither too pink nor too nude. I would like the illusion of the just bitten, juicy reddish lips.

I bought this color after trying out and enjoying Tiger Lily. Though Tiger Lily pulls more peachy nude, I was hoping Hibiscus was the color that would do the trick. I expected Hibiscus to lean more pink as it is labeled with the other pinks in the line. Pleasantly surprised, it swatched a reddish coral color and on my lips, it gives this amazing reddish pink color, everything that I've hoped for in a color. And of course, it's a plus that the balm gives amazing moisture and it keeps my lips moist after the color washes off.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/30/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by daria33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So even though I looked at a ton of pictures of swatches of these tinted lip balms online, I still was a little disappointed that the color hibiscus didn't match my expectations. Even though it is grouped under the pink category in their marketing, it's definitely a brown peach on me, and that's not what I was after.

On a lot of pictures I saw it looked like a great balanced blend of warms and pinks--a perfect shade for no makeup makeup if you will--and it may well show up that way on people with different coloring from mine. But on my pale but olive-y skin it's mostly a tawny peach. It's not a bad color for fall, and it's a plus that it shows up on lips and blends well, but still wasn't what i had hoped for. I guess I should have ordered the Rose shade, but I was afraid Rose would be too red and that's not what I wanted either. Besides, Hibiscus was on sale for $5.49, whereas the other ones were full price, around $7 I think.

The formula: quite thick, full of plant butters and waxes. I like that aspect, but I see some reviewers think it's too heavy. It's something to keep in mind--it's heavier than their lip balms, such as the pomegranate and mango ones.

I noticed a peculiar smell the first several applications, which I don't notice anymore. It's kind of jasminy but waxy at the same time, probably the plant waxes as they were exposed to oxygen. It was different, but I didn't mind the scent, and, as i said, I don't notice it anymore.

Will I repurchase? I'm so torn on this one. I like the heavy formula for fall and winter with the added bonus of color, but I'm still mad that the color was so different from expectation. It makes me wonder if it scews brown because of the kinds of pigments they use, and whether it would be an issue in the other colors. So I vote no for now, but I may change my mind if they come out with more colors and if I find them with a discount, and I still haven't found that elusive everyday moisturizing natural lip enhancing color.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2014 2:15:00 AM More reviews by SarahLynn21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love tinted lip balms to wear around the house or when I'm just going out shopping. I also love the idea of natural products and so when I saw this at the grocery store I was definitely interested in trying it. We'll start with the color; I picked this color thinking it would wear like a raspberry pink but what I ended up with is more of a deep nude with a hint of coral and red. My lips aren't very pigmented so I'd say the color is pretty far off from what it looked like on it's packaging.

The color being incorrect was certainly a disappointment but had I liked the formula I would have simply purchased a different color. That said the product did nothing for my dry lips and in fact only enhanced their dry appearance; on top of that it had quite poor staying power. One thing I do like about this lip balm is the scent; it's very subtle and sweet compared to the overpowering floral or mint scents used in other lip products.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 5:01:00 AM More reviews by JL98

I bought this recently and I think it's a really great product. It's very moisturising, treats my sensitive lips well, is easy to carry around and comes in a practical lip balm tube that makes it very easy to apply. I think Burt's Bees have really perfected the concentration of colour with this range - I also own the Rose shade and with both colours they give a perfectly sheer and subtle tint, which can be intensified with multiple applications. I personally prefer rose, but then I do naturally have quite pinkish lips so the colour payoff is just better for me with that tone rather than hibiscus - although having said that hibiscus still gives a lovely pink tint that works with the yellow undertones of my skin (I had another tinted lip balm that was just too pink for my colouring before). Overall it's my new HG lip product, although I prefer rose and this can be kind of expensive although usually you can find it at a decent price (I got 2 for 10AUD recently at priceline)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 4:05:00 AM More reviews by CatVid

This is a great tinted lip balm.

I really liked the colour which gives a subtle rosy finish to the lips. This is exactly what I want a tinted lip balm to be- the colurs should be visible but not overbearing so that you can wear them when you are wearing almost no makeup or when you don´t want to bother with lipstick.

It´s colour looks very natural with fair skin and blonde hair.
It is more of a reddish nude that a brown/beige nude which I like very much as I have a lot of products in the latter colour range.

It is also very moisturizing. And when I say very moisturizing I mean it REALLY is. It contains precious oils that make it very soft and creamy and it is an organic product.

The only thing that could be improved is the staying power but that is a very common problem in tinted lip balms so I´ll still give this product 5 lipsticks.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 9:36:00 PM More reviews by fuchsiaheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this color--it's my lips but rosier! I've been reaching for this lip product more than anything else lately. I just love how Hibiscus brightens my face. Usually pinks look too orange on me, but this one is just right. It's a perfect spring/summer shade. It also feels very moisturizing and doesn't fade too quickly. I am very sensitive to scents, and I find this one to be quite subtle, which is great. This does accentuate dryness on the lips--a bummer--so make sure you only wear this on days when your lips are feeling smooth and moisturized. I agree with everyone else about the packaging--why the cardboard tube? Overall, I love this super easy to wear lip balm.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by rebeccadi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This lip balm is decent. Not my favorite, but also not horrible.

The color is alright a sheer peachy rose that on my pigmented lips is a lovely MLBB color. I've also not noticed it settling into any lines or cracks in my lips.

The tube of lip balm is the standard size and shape. I like the understated, sleek look of the label. The cardboard tube it comes in seems a bit excessive? I don't really see why it's needed at all. When I first saw these years ago I actually thought the lip balm was closer to the size of the tube!

It does its job as a lip balm in moisturizing my lips. For the price, I probably wouldn't repurchase unless I absolutely fall in love with a specific color.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by piggytoes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This tinted lip balm isn't awful and it's not amazing, it's just OK. It moisturizes (but not as much as my Fresh tinted lip balms), has a hint of colour as promised, and has the lasting power of a lip balm, not a lip stick. It does what it promises. I just prefer my Fresh tinted lip balms more. They're more expensive, but I prefer the amount of moisture and colour they give over these. I got these on sale, but if they weren't on sale I would find them too expensive at almost $10 at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by organicmakeupjunkie

The Hibiscus color was very dissapointing. Unlike the Red Dahlia, or Rose, this color didn't sink in. Rather it just sat on top of my lips and accentuated the dryness of my lips and the color collected in the creases and looked awful. Its possible my tube was defective, but because of how badly it looked applied, I gave it away. Waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by alixnaiq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This provides a good colour payoff that lasts at least a couple of hours if I don’t eat. Drinking water doesn’t seem to make it fade much. The warm pink colour flatters my warm-toned medium Asian skin tone (sorry, I don't know what my NC number is, but I use Stila tinted moisturiser in tone / Urban Decay tinted moisturiser in Halo) – not too warm, but still with this hint of coral. This goes with most of my neutral outfits with simple silhouettes, both cool- and warm-toned ones, and doesn’t look cartoonish or overly dressed up when I wear elaborate jewellery. Worn alone with dark neutral eyeliner, it has a very natural, understated look.

I think that for lips with no dryness issues, this range provides a moderate level of moisturisation in temperate climates and is more than enough for a tropical climate, so it does function as a balm. The texture is very creamy, and not at all plasticky - it feels very 'natural'. The scent is very understated and pleasant - there's hardly any fragrance at all. The packaging isn't fancy but works - the lid never falls off, and the twisting mechanism doesn't break down and fail to retract when you extend the lip colour to its maximum limit.

It’s a really good go-to lip colour and good value for the money (S$12), so I plan to buy it again after I run out. It really adds a bit of polish to an understated makeup look and it's not too fancy to wear with my loungewear!