Olay Regenerist Night Resurfacing Elixir

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Glycolic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Palmitoyl Pentapeptide 4 (Amino-Peptide), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Allantoin, PEG 100 Stearate, Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Benzyl Alcohol, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxides

on 7/19/2015 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I was recently watching a Kandee Johnson video in which she said that she had been using anti-ageing products ever since she was in her late teens. Now, if you've seen Kandee Johnson you'll know that her skin is tighter than a SpaceBag and flawless like a newborn baby. I instantly panicked and realized that I had misses that information. I thought, "I'm 22 y/o..what if I look like a raisin?!" I know I don't, but it still worried me to think that I was not caring more about my skin.
I read a review on this "discontinued" product on PaulasChoice in which it was raved about. I remember seeing this product at my local Loblaws for only $16, so I got in the car , made the purchase and slapped it on my face before I went to bed.
Here are the results...

Pros:

1) Price: for a product with glycolic acid (8-10%) I thought this was very reasonably priced at $16 CAD. Normally I think it's about $23 CAD, but that's also okay. With the $4 coupon that P&G provides on their site and in the mail, it comes in at $12-$19...I can do math.

2) Packaging: I love the tinted bottle and pump. I'm not sure why so many skin care products come in clear, jar-like containers, but it always irks me. If I'm going to spend $10,$50, $100,$500 on skin-care, whatever the price may be, why would you give it such a sub-par home?! A lot of the good stuff, the defining properties of the specific skin care, are lost when we package it in a jar and introduce it to light. Plus our dirty hands and fingernails are bound to get the cream dirty. I love how this is tinted so that you don't introduce it to too much light and it has a pump for the prevention of contamination. Olay still suggests that you keep it in a cool and dark place though.

3) Initial reaction: When I initially washed my face the night after wearing this, it was glowing a luminous. My face looked clear and happy. A lot of my acne scars we faded and I was happy. But.....

Cons:
1) When i went on with my day I realized that I gained a lot of dark spots and red spots. My skin looked very irritated. I'm going to try to break it down from the top of my head to my chin:

Forehead: Surprisingly clear, but my forehead always is. The only time I ever get acne is if I go a few days without washing my hair (3+ days) or if I get sunburnt.

Cheeks: I woke up with 4 pimples, but none were as bad as they could be. They were the types of pimples that you could only see if you were verry close to me, and they were easily covered by foundation. My cheeks throughout the day started to get dark spots right around the same area you would apply highlight. (They looked almost like blackheads) The texture on my skin started to get uneven and the pores on my face started to get very rough. It almost seemed like my skin was wavy. It was strange and a little upsetting.

Mouth/Chin: this is the area that was the worst. To best sum it up, it looked like there was sand under my skin. My chin was/is verrrrrrrry dry and flaky, plus it was rough. It looked like sandpaper. The skin was also red and very sore. Throughout the day it got itchier and itchier. This was the area I was most upset about :(

OVERALL: My skin was extremely dry. The driest it has ever been in it's life. It honestly looked/looks like I have dandruff on my face...plus it's itchy...

2) Application: not a huge deal, but my skin really stung upon application. Apparently this is a normal feeling, but it's still worrisome.

Overall: I followed the instructions just as they were written, but this still didn't work. Perhaps this product is just not for my age and skin concerns, so I can't be too critical of it. My skin is left very dry and itchy. I'm not as upset as I should be, but I think that Olay should have a clear disclaimer about the potential side effects of this product. For anyone with less sensitive skin, who is of the correct age demographic, I think you should give it a try. But please, if you have dry-sensitive skin, don't go near this.

on 5/30/2015 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I had high hopes for this. It looks like the perfect night serum... And in theory, it should work very well.

The first few times I used it, it worked very well. Application was nice, the product gets completely absorbed very quickly and skin feels soft and comfortable! My skin looked rested, smooth and glowing in the morning. However, it soon started to make my skin feel sensitive, blotchy and raw....

I believe this is too much for my skin. I would only recommend to people who can tolerate high percentages of glycolic acid. Perhaps they should advise customers to use this only a few times a week, at least initially. It just put me off so badly that I just stopped using it all together. I also think it caused me to breakout, it definitely over exfoliated my skin.

Not sure how many lippies to give this product but I am giving it 3 lippies assuming this works better for people who can handle higher concentrations of glycolic acid. One lippie off due to the clear bottle and another lippie off due to this product being recommended for everyone as a daily product when it clearly is too strong for that. No warning whatosever...

I shall stick to 1-2 a week use of my glycolic mask for now.

on 3/9/2015 11:06:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone skin. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV.

I always thought that Retin-A alone would suffice to do all the exfoliation, but I recently learned that it doesn't do exfoliation like AHA is supposed to, so I want to incorporate AHA back in.

I feel slight tingling upon application for the first few times but I no longer experience it. The gel is very lightweight and pretty hydrating for my skin, even used alone. I always wake up with plump, bright, hydrated skin when I use it at night. It also helps to smooth away the bumps I got from the Olay Age Defying Toner. I haven't used it long enough to see if it helps with fading hyperpigmentation.

I like the sleek pump bottle, but I do wish the bottle is more opaque.

It doesn't aggravate my SD or clog my skin. I will keep using and repurchasing.

on 3/2/2015 2:33:00 AM

Pros: Gentle, lightly moisturizing glycolic acid (AHA) exfoliant.

Cons: See-through packaging, which can cause the ingredients to break down more quickly. Slightly sticky texture. There are also products that are stronger and in more stable packaging, yet are less expensive.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good options for a more gentle AHA, which is why I still use this one.

I use this as my nightly exfoliant, and I use Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souffle once a week.

This product claims that it can be used in place of a moisturizer, but this will only be true for those with oily skin. For everyone else, let it dry completely, then apply moisturizer over it.

This works well, and I'm happy with it, but if Alpha Hydrox made a product with around 5% to 8% AHA in a texture I liked, I would switch brands due to the price and packaging.

on 2/17/2015 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

It's my favorite exfoliating serum for my annoyingly sensitive skin. I wake up glowing and happy. A great intro to glycolic acid for anyone just dipping their toe into anti-aging. I swear it helps my acne too... the same way an AHA cream product would.

GREAT JOB OLAY. You're on to something.

on 1/19/2015 9:43:00 AM

Nice addition to my nighttime skincare routine. I use it after the Kiehl's Ultimate Tonic and prior to my LA Prairie anti-aging night cream, after I've given it 30min to sink in. I don't use this product on its own since I find it not hydrating enough, although that might change in high summer. The texture is like a gel, very light and refreshing. I've had no allergic reactions. I don't actually have any lines or wrinkles, so I can't vouch for its resurfacing capabilities. However I'd like to think it does its bit in keeping my skin smooth and glowing. Will buy again when run out.

on 12/23/2014 12:02:00 AM

This is the only product I actually stock up on, it's incredebly effective at what it does. Mild and gentle exfoliant for your skin, in my case extremely sensitive and acnegetic skin. I apply it at night and sometimes during the day when I'm not wearing any makeup around the house. In the morning skin is smoother and clearer and it helps w blemish mark fading.
It is not a miracle product and it won't make your lines disappear. I'm afraid only retinol and Botox can do that. This is a staple for me and I hope they never stop making it. Be sure to wear a good sunscreen if you're using this. My choice is babyganics spf 50 mineral sunscreen incredeble makeup base and all day matttefinig effect. It's made w zinc oxide which is amazing for acnegetic skin.

on 11/23/2014 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I've been using this for a month, long enough, I think, to provide a review. The texture is gel-like and is applied to clear skin. The packaging says no moisturizer is required but my comination skin was dehydrated after a couple weeks. Forehead lines which were mere hints previously began to show so I cut back from nightly to every other night and applied a night cream 20 minutes after application. From the first week my pores have been clearer and the fine bumps in my under eye area have completely vanished for the first time. I haven't noticed a dimishing of discoloration or my pores being smaller but I'm sure it takes longer than a month for those kinds of miracles. I recommend this as an easy overnight exfoliation. My skin looks brighter, is smoother and makeup application is easier. The price is extremely reasonable considering the cost of similar products under other cosmetic brands. I'm thrilled to have found something without parabens which can be picked up in Bed Bath and Beyond or a discount drugstore.

on 9/11/2014 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I love this. For a drugstore aha it's great. I love PC but like having an option at Target that I pick up in a pinch. I'd say it's good for dry skin because that's what I have. Doesn't irritate, mild stinging, just kind of brightens up my skin for a little glow. I wish it came in an opaque bottle but I love the pump.

on 8/26/2014 5:34:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I initially expressed great optimism about this product as I've been told it could work for my skin, but I seriously didn't see one glimpse of a change, didn't feel any smoother when I put my hands against by cheeks, and my wrinkles and frown lines were still quite visible. I certainly don't think I look any younger as a result of using it, so a lot of money for not much really.

Popular Treatments (Face)