April 17, 2014 | 1151 users online

Polishes - OPI - Too Hot Pink To Hold 'Em

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by HottSauce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Ive gone through 3 bottles of this(3rd one being this past weekend) and have not yet written a review! This is one of my favorites that I keep coming back to.

The formula is sheer; it takes 2-3 coats for me. Its like a gel formula and thin. It dries quick enough.Its very shiny and wears quite well. The color is truly a hot pink leaning red. A cherry candy red. The more coats you put on, the more red it seems. I absolutely LOVE the color. I love red nails but I think they are so formal at times. This nail polish color with the pink in it, tones it down, making it more casual to wear. I wear this with everything and its never out of place.

Im a Texan girl myself so this nail polish couldn't be any better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 2:04:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this knowing it was translucent, and it certainly is. If you're expecting a creme, you'll be disappointed. This is from OPI's 2011 "Texas" collection, and it's what OPI are calling a "sorbet" (their name for a translucent jelly formula), and it's actually designed and intended to be sheer-to-translucent.

One coat gives surprisingly good colour coverage, though it is quite sheer. A second coat deepens the colour and increases the opacity a bit, though the nail line is still visible. Personally, I like the look of two coats. It reminds me of a lollipop or a clear hard candy. Three coats gives about the maximum colour and opacity that you're likely to get, and even that is not fully opaque. The surface is extraordinarily shiny and smooth, just amazing gloss.

This particular colour is a rich, clear raspberry-red. Despite having "pink" in the title, I really wouldn't call this a pink, but some people might. It depends on how you view raspberry/berry tones. I call this a pink-leaning red, and it reminds me of cherry lollipops. This is my favourite of the "sorbet" polishes in this collection (followed by Big Hair, Big Nails, which is a sort of cherry coral).

This polish works really well for a glitter jelly sandwich manicure, and it's a good candidate for a syrup manicure, as well, because it is sheer-to-translucent.

I love this polish, but I love pinky-reds and I love jelly polishes, so this ticks all the boxes for me. My only complaint is that I get really high tip wear with this, but, alas, that seems to be the case for me with pretty much all jelly polishes (I type a lot, among other things).

So, basically, if you want an opaque polish, this is not going to be a polish you like or want. If, on the other hand, you love the look of a translucent jelly and you like pink-leaning reds, this will be a must-have.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by lsyann

I bought this online and thought it was a translucent creme. It was a bit too sheer for my liking, needing several coats to not look patchy.

I'm not sure if the OPI website describes the finish, but coverage is vastly different to my other OPIs. I go through it 4 times faster than the others.

The colour is gorgeous, and the finish is super shiny

PROs
- great colour and finish
- extremely shiny
- fairly long lasting
- OPI has a great brush

CONs
- Needs several coats to conceal the nail line
- long drying time
- go through it faster than thicker formulas

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2012 9:09:00 AM More reviews by normy_normz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love OPI polishes as the price is good (altho it is alot easier on the pocket if I stock up when I am in the US as they sell for 19.95 here in australia) and the packaging is always spot on. This colour is gorgeous; it is a perfect hot pink but I will say that the sheer jelly finish does require quite a few coats to get a good colour payoff. Whilst the finish is lovely; 3 or 4 coats is a bit time consuming.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by polishnut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OPI's Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em is from the 2011 Texas Collection and is a red-toned bright raspberry polish with a jelly/sorbet super-shiny finish. It looks like glass when you're done! The color is a bright summery raspberry shade that looks a little more red indoors but more pink outside. Because of the jelly finish, you will need at least four coats to get any kind of opacity (but may still have some visible nail line). The drying time with Seche Vite was very quick and rock hard in 45 minutes. I had no problems with chipping and was able to get five days of wear out of this mani. All in all while I like this color, I don't love it but would use/buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by whit0931

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is a gorgeous color; perfect for my toes for summer. However, it is so sheer (like others have noted) that I need 4 coats before I can feel satisfied. While the streaking was minimal, I feel like that is only because it is so watery. Other reviewers seem to have more experience with this formula and expected this reaction, so this review is higher than I initially would have given it, to reflect my lack of expertise.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of OPI new "Sorbets" and it has a gorgeous medium berry cherry pink color.
These Sorbets have a "glass like" see through consistency similar to a..........
"JOLLY RANCHER"

Sorbets are not as sheer as say, a Jelly.
Imo, its right between a jelly and a thinner opaque regular formula.

These mouthwatering Jolly Ranchers, literally apply themselves!
There is no need to worry about having a perfect application method......
Because the 2 I own, this and the pinked coral Guy Meets Gal-veston, are not streaky at all! Yay!

I really really hate all the work that goes into applying Jelly lacquer and I almost didn't buy one.
But since I found the coral colored Guy Meets Gal-veston, for a great price, I took the chance.
WoW! I am soooo happy I did and I just had to immediately buy myself another one.
These really rock and are so "fast and easy" to apply.
I highly recommend trying one!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by bergamott

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing polish! It's a deep pink raspberry shade with a super glossy finish. Goes on sheer so I would recommend at least 2-3 coats (or more if you really want to make sure there's no visible nail line). Formula on this is so good it practically applied itself, very easy to work with and "good flow" off the brush. I would classify this polish as a jelly, it has a "squishy" appearance to it, OPI calls them "sorbet" finish; either way the sorbet portion of the OPI Texas SS11 collection is really awesome quality. This polish wears like iron on my nails; I typically get a weeks wear from OPI but up to 10 days with this; the formula makes it less prone to chipping. The name is spot on for me; a gal who loves gambling and poker! Would re-purchase this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 9:03:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

I had my nails done today and asked my manicurist for a color which goes with OPI's Koala Berry, which I'm wearing on my toes. Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em is the the first jelly/sorbet nail polish I've tried, so here are my pros and cons:
Pros: gorgeous raspberry-rose shade (just a bit lighter than Koala Berry); dried very quickly, much more than regular nail polish; very shiny and glossy.
Cons: since it's a demi-sheer, it's tricky to apply without streaking; even my (very experienced) manicurist had a hard time, although once she applied a second coat, it flowed together for a beautiful, even finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by SantaBarbaraBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

AH-MAZ-ING! I adore this hot bright pink, a really pinkish-red, reddish-pink, that is my new favorite for toes. I bought Chanel Pulsion the same day, and I must say that I prefer the OPI polish so far. It is so perfect for summer. It's on point for the neon trend, it's so bright, but still very chic and classy.