Matrix Biolage Smooththerapie Deep Smoothing Shampoo

2.8

on 1/9/2015 6:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I just finished a bottle of this shampoo after using it for every hair washing. It worked well for me and did not weigh my hair down. But my scalp is not oily at all and my hair is color-treated and tends to get frizzy. With that said, it's not a great shampoo that I'll run out and buy again. The ingredient list is rather uninspiring. It contains sodium laureth sulfate, which strips hair, along with several essential oils (these add a light, floral scent which is OK) and moisturizing agents. It contains non-water-soluble silicone which can weigh hair down, especially if too much is used. Thank goodness I only needed a small amount to wash my hair because it is expensive. It contains acidic ingredients (salicylic acid, citric acid) and basic ingredients (sodium hydroxide) - so the acids decrease pH and the bases increase pH. Just a confusing formulation all around, and I'd guess the shampoo could do just as well with fewer ingredients and a lower price. I probably won't repurchase for that reason.

on 4/19/2014 2:34:00 AM

I'm a hair stylist and I'll be the first to admit I'm a hair snob. I've often sneered at matrix products because they aren't necessarily "high end" products. It's honestly more of an entry level line, so I've steered clear of it and stick to the more high quality brands like surface, joico and Moroccan oil. Boy, could I not be more wrong! my work received a ton of duo's of biolage shampoo and conditioner because of the new packaging (which by the way is fabulous, not at all clunky and 80s like it had been ) so I decided to give the smooth a try. My hair is color treated, very big, curly and frizzy. Think Merida from Brave. I used the whole smooth product line, the shampoo, conditioner, smoothing cream, and oil. Initially I wasn't crazy about the smell (which had been another reason I hadn't used it in the past) but it really grew on me and now I kinda love it. My hair feels like silk, it's soft and shiny with so much movement!! Nothing has EVER made my hair feel like that before, I felt no build up whatsoever so I'm not sure why people keep saying that? I've used it several times and I have yet to experience that. It does have silicone but that's a smoothing shampoo for you, I clarify my hair before testing new products so I have a fair view of what the product does. But seriously I had pretty much resigned to the fact that as a curly girl I would never have that pantene commercial hair but now my hair looks just like that! Love this product, will continue to use.

on 1/18/2014 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I actually like this stuff quite a bit as a daily shampoo...it doesnt strip the moisture & leaves my hair silky & soft. I usually wait for It to go on sale cos it is rather spendy. I usually use biolage 3-5 days a week & then a clarifying shampoo to remove all the silicone & other build up. I also love the smell. I could see how this could make hair greasy so if you have oily scalp stay away
Overall its good but not my favorite.

on 11/25/2012 2:35:00 PM

duh ? do u joke me ?
alll the oily hairs next day
cheapo yukkkk

on 10/18/2012 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Terrible, I've never used a shampoo that left me greasy roots immediately upon my hair drying. It does smooth your hair down, which is why I gave it 2 instead of 1 star. But it leaves a waxy, greasy film all over your hair. If brushed, it looks very smooth, but if I touched or moved my hair, it would tangle instantly.

Awful, expensive shampoo.

on 2/10/2011 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am a very loyal Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo and Ultra-Hydrating Balm user and have been for several years. Every once in a while I get the craving to try something new so I thought Iíd give both the Smooththerapie shampoo and conditioner a spin since there was a buy one get 50% off sale. My hair is thick, coarse, curly and colour-treated. I wash it every day, blow it dry and then straighten with a flat-iron. Despite this daily abuse, my hair is in pretty good shape. The Smooththerapie shampoo and conditioner are supposed to fight frizz in 97% humidity. Since itís only February, I canít attest to that fact. What I can say is this: after shampooing and conditioning, my hair is left slightly tangled. The only styling product I use is Biolageís (told you I was a loyal Biolage user!) Fortifying Heat Styler. Massaging this into my hair afterwards is difficult since I need to run it through tangles that I never experienced when using the hydrating line. Once through, I finger dry with the hair dryer and once itís about 95% dry, I straighten it with a big round brush and then flat-iron. In the end, my hair is smooth, soft, shiny and not as puffy as usual. The shampoo is paraben-free and supposedly gentle on colour-treated hair. Itís clear coloured and lathers and rinses well. Iíve used it two days in a row and still canít decide if I like it.
UPDATE:11 Feb 2011: Went back to my regular shampoo and conditioner and my hair is 100% better. Will not repurchase this again.

Popular Shampoos