November 22, 2014 | 1640 users online

Fragrances - Kate Walsh - Boyfriend

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ok...the first few spritzes are VERY spicey and incensey on me...almost to the point where I smell like Christmas potpourri more than sexy perfume....I get the impression of more than just myrrh here, but I think that is the combination of myrrh and woods mixing with my chemistry.
I don't get any dark plum in the opener, and it takes a bit for this to soften up on me, but once it does, it is divine!

It was a blind buy based on all of the reviews, and luckily it is still available online for decent prices.

Once this scent starts to dry down, I get a wonderful woodsy notes with warm amber and the myrrh still lingers, offering a resinous spice to the mix...and the musk is a soft cozy musk, just like the boyfriend's fisherman's sweater that has been borrowed to keep warm in on a blustery fall day. No jasmine or LOTV show up on my skin, this is so well blinded they might be there but as background players.

I've already gotten a backup of this one, and I just have to urge anyone that tries this to understand that the opening is not indicative of the full scent. Give it a chance to warm up on you, you won't be disappointed. :)

(crosspost)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 1:07:00 PM More reviews by WaterQueene77

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't care what you call it: this stuff is delicious!

It is hot, humid summer here in Boston but I still love my Orientals. Obsession and Shalimar are hidden in my perfume cabinet but I wear Boyfriend almost every day. It is fabulous. Boyfriend is not floral at all so if you are a big floral fan, you may not care for this. Boyfriend is warm, cozy and almost ... syrupy. When it dries down ... which takes several hours ... it smells like the deck of a cruise ship under the hot Caribbean sun. Lovely. It seems to be available online only right now, through Ms. Walsh's website. It is worth chasing down if you love woody, warm Orientals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by kayben

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was a fragrance neophyte. I knew what I liked and I bought it. I didn't realize that in the fragrance world, scents get discontinued for ... no reason whatsoever.

I loved and will always love Yves Roche Neonatura Cocoon, but it is no more. A year ago, when I went to buy it, it was gone. You could purchase outrageously marked up bottles on ebay, but that's not my style. My style is to do some research and find a substitute. Reading the fragrance board on this site, and a few others on the Internet, I discovered that Boyfriend was a very close dupe of Cocoon. I had my doubts, but so many agreed that it was.

Now I can add my agreement to theirs. It is not an exact match, but close enough. They are siblings if not twins. The same dry notes are there and that is all I wanted: a dry, resinous perfume that is androgynous and uncommon. I'm happy with it. If you love Cocoon, try this.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by mille

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Asking again... Is there a substitute for this, it seems to be gone!

One of the few fragrances I have repurchased. I'm on my fourth bottle. But the only places to find it have been HSN and Sephora. Sephora's prices are higher than HSN, and it has all but disappeared off HSN's website. Is this being discontinued?

What's a substitute if it is?

Never tried the Billionaire Boyfriend version, but that seems on is way out too.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 12:39:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

No hesitation here, this starts out smelling like a masculine fragrance. Give it to its dry down and you have the yin-yang of the female and male existence of perfumery. Cosmic life explained in a bottle. (How thoughtful of Kate Walsh.) The coming together of two opposites in one bottle that you can now apply onto yourself without the benefit of "him" being there. Never really needing "him" takes on a whole new meaning. Or, you can think of pining for "him" through the purchase of a perfume that reminds you of "him" but it's not "his" its's "yours" because its marketed for women, its just another ad campaign for suckers, rather, I mean consumers. I get this sad image of lonely people crying, sniffing their generic smelling wrist because it reminds them of "him". Really? There's a world of perfumes out there for you ladies, just for you, designed to make you feel good, designed to work with your body chemistry and evoke positive thoughts. Not evoke images of "Michael, John, Rob, Steven, Kevin, Joe, Josh, Sebastian, Brian, Robert, Pablo..." which are the names emblazoned on the bottle. Of her former boyfriends. Yes, the concept is amusing. But it falls short of bringing in the sexual aura needed that might have hit this one out of the ballpark. Had it been reminiscent of a vis-a-vis romp with any of the notes in its composition, then the sensuality and rawness would have made Boyfriend complete. Otherwise, it falls flat as simply spraying a small amount of your significant others' favorite fragrance on to remind you of them. Save your money and do that instead. The plum seems to be the highlight with a slight musk while the woods surround the entire composition. Florals, none. The myrhh lies low and intermingles with the woods as one would expect with a man's fragrance. There is a rich deepness bringing to mind vanilla, more like gingerbread that appears for awhile and wraps the fragrance together. Not long-lasting, not short either, just middle of the road. Stays close to the skin. If you really feel you must wear this, it's a choice to wear in the evening at home or at leisure while relaxing. Definitely sample before you buy to see how you enjoy a fragrance that starts out with a male top and ends with a female bottom. Oh yeah, wouldn't that be called submissive? And that's what buying a bottle called "Boyfriend" reminds me of....
Fragrance Notes: Musk, Amber, Myrhh, Plum, Woodsy Notes, Lily-Of-The-Valley.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by mego

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am not one to usually go for such rich, musky scents, but I ABSOLUTELY love this. It is kind of weird at first smell but, for some reason, on me it is amazing. Maybe my body chemistry just loves it that much. I never smell like an old man. I think it smells sexy and womanly, with a bit of power to it. But that's just me!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by NerveOfMe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh, man! I haven't written a review for years, but this fragrance needs a review from me. I'm a connoisseur of musk and skank, and I've got some of the best...Black Cahsmere by Donna Karan, some of the Montale fragrances, Rasa-X Extreme by Ava Lux, Perfect Night by Bella Bellisima, Yves Saint Laurent's Nu, Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan (a lightweight compared to Boyfriend), and Narciso Rodriguea Musc for Her. This one is so smooth, and with a lovely sweet note...it can be worn in polite company. My hubby likes it, but it's not for him...this one's for me...tiltallating and sexy. A skin scent that keeps on giving. Does it smell like man? Yes! It smells like aftersex and is highly animalic. Compelling and perfect...maybe the best Dirty frangrance I've had the pleasure of wearing.

From Sephora (where I picked this up): "Boyfriend combines muguet, dark plum, myrrh, and night blooming jasmine to create a seductive floral fragrance. Topped off with amber and woody musk."

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by sillage

I love Boyfriend when it's Fall/Winter and I want someting wood/amber/musk (with no vanilla). However, normally I like my woody fragrances to be mixed with vanilla, and this one has none -- it's just straight-up woody/amber/musk, to my nose -- and I don't smell any of the other notes listed below:

Fragrance notes, per parfumo.net:
Ambergris, Woody notes, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Musk, Myrrh, Plum

There is a bit of sweetness and also a lightly resiny quality. Right now, it's late Sept but still warm where I live. I can't wait until it gets cool -- Boyfriend is one of the several I'll pull out and start wearing. I think it's a really good woody fragrance, with enough femininity in the notes that it doesn't smell like you're wearing a men's cologne. Perfect for Fall/Winter.

The scent is by actress Kate Walsh from the TV shows "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice". I like original Boyfriend a lot, but I didn't like her Billionaire Boyfriend flanker at all, which is a lighter, more citrusy version.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Boyfriend is a delicious light wood, very sweet, boozy fragrance. Orange liqueur, amber, and fresh-cut wood. Even a chocolate-vanilla cozyness to the later drydown. Big sillage. Very wearable for casual occasions. I smell this fragrance on lots of women when I'm out and about doing errands more than any other fragrance these days (2013). Boyfriend bears similarity to the drydown of Penhaligon's Elixir.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by loveandrew

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never smelled a worse perfume. I was so disappointed. I was hoping it would smell like my husbands shirt after he wears it, like it was advertised, but it missed the mark.