April 21, 2014 | 1907 users online

Hair Color - Wella - Royal Blonde Toner

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2012 7:57:00 AM More reviews by Oafangere

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's really really helped me to know that the sample swatches at Sally's are what the product looks like on pure white hair. At the max level of bleaching, without melting, you get a pale yellow, and not white or else you've gone too far. So those colors on the hair swatches are like watercolors--and i know that when i add them to the color already showing on my hair I'll get some combination of the two.

I like to take my hair to about level 8 and 9 for highlights. This toner gave me nice goldens and still got the 8 to look more beige. Nice that even though it's formulated for a level 10 pale yellow, it still gives a very pretty golden color to hair. The violet base is so good and really works on my yellows without making my hair dull! Also, I used an 18 volume developer (you can adjust your developer yourself with water). I took one lippie off bc the directions don't mention that 6-19 volume may be better depending on your needs. I'll try using a 6 volume developer next time, since this will still deposit and be a bit more gentle on my previously highlighted (bleached) hair.

I think the nicer cream based tints will be my next try for toning though--like koleston or color touch from wellas professional lines.

Nice product, the violet and gold(neutral?) base neutralized the yellow and kept my highlights golden :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Intermission

I recently stopped using pre-mixed box hair dyes.
now i've been trying the different colors and toners of Wella since it seems to be good quality. The hair color i tried first was "Satin Blonde" which should have been a pale blond shade, but the results were far from what the swatch looked like.
I got a yellow/gold shade, and still darker then what i wanted, so the next step to get a none yellow color is to use a toner, i didn't want to risk getting darkish gray hair (since my hair isn't platinum) So i bought a toner that wasn't as white as the others.
unfortunately this shade of toner made my hair slightly darker.
when it was mixed w/ the developer 20 the color looked like a Carmel brown in liquid form.
the result was not what i thought i would get, and it was not what toner swatch looked like but it did add dimension to my hair color.
im happy this didn't end in disaster but next time i think ill try a lighter toner and hope for the best.
Maybe this toner IS made only for near-white hair?
i still have a lot of trail and error to do.