July 28, 2014 | 1225 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Scunci No-slip Grip Evolution Opaque Jelly Ponytailers

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh man, steer far away from these if you have thick hair. I have such thick, wavy hair that I will actually break other bands trying to do a ponytail. I figured these would be great and unbreakable. Well, that part was true, the pain is in trying to get them out again. I was as careful as possible, and still ended up with at least 15 hairs all wrapped up in the band once I removed it. I tried several times, and just can't use these.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2014 9:20:00 PM More reviews by Siylii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never had a problem with hair breakage in my life, but these things have ripped so many of my hairs. When removing these, no matter how careful I was, I'd hear and feel a terrible ripping sensation. Sure enough, I now have hairs that no longer fit into pony tails because these bands broke them. "No slip" for sure, but not worth it to me to destroy my hair for a more secure hold.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by Cinderelletta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

For the first time in my life, I'm using only one hair tie in my thick hair, instead of 2, 3, or even 4! I saw a YouTube tutorial on MakeupByTiffanyD's channel for making an easy bumped ponytail, & I couldn't make it work because normal hair ties would slide & not keep my ponytails perky. So I went into Target looking for the hair ties with the rubber on the inside, but they weren't carrying them in my store. Saw these & hesitated for a long time because I was worried they would rip out my hair but that's not really a problem. Basically I love these hair ties & was totally surprised by the discovery of them. I've been using the same useless hair ties for TOO MANY YEARS. I'm thankful I finally found ones that actually work for my hair!

The main issues people have with these is the fear they will rip your hair out but it's fine if you're careful. If you try to rip the ponytail out in one swipe like you do normal hair ties, yeah, it's going to break or knot your hair. You have to unwrap it the same way you put it in for there to be minimal damage. A few more seconds of your time is a small price to pay for a fabulous, stay-all-day ponytail & less damage!

UPDATE: I still love these hair ties & can't use anything else after using these - but I had to remove a lippie due to breakage of the band itself. I'm not really surprised they break - they're rubber, and rubber breaks after being stretched repeatedly over time - but the issue I have is that they are marketed as unbreakable & the packaging literally says 'virtually unbreakable!' which is just so untrue it's laughable. I probably go through one of these hair ties every couple of weeks, which means I'm going to have to repurchase them after a few months. Just a heads up - they're NOT unbreakable by any means. But, I still love them for how well they hold my ponytail & will continue to use them.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Myrahotchkiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I should start my review by saying that when MUA asks you to list your hair colour and type, there should also be a scale of how annoying your hair is. Because mine is a 10 on the annoying scale.

I have very fine, flyaway hair... but there's a lot of it. It's not THIN, the strands are just fine. So I find it hard to keep it up in any sort of ponytail without the hairband slipping away from me throughout the day.

I usually wear my hair in a sort of "looped back on itself" bun using one hair tie. They always slip and I chuck my hair into another crappy bun several times throughout the day, eventually sticking bobby pins through it in an effort to tame it.

Just realised I'm rambling. Do yourself a favour and buy these because they do exactly what they say, they DO NOT SLIP. Awesome product. And so cute too!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2014 10:17:00 PM More reviews by pinkqueen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

FINALLY a band that will hold my super thick hair in place. I still use 2 though! For extra security. You have to take these off carefully as they do snag hair like rubber bands, but so worth it. I have always gone through the "thick" no ouch bands very fast because my hair is thick and the bands just stretch out and bust or fall apart quickly. Not these, been using for a few months and I have not ripped 1! Will continue purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

Awesome!! I use the brown, black, or clear ones. The only hair ties I use. I have bra strap length naturally curly hair without much for layers. These actually stay in place put & don't snap or pull out my hair. I prefer these jelly elastics over the traditional ones! I quit using all others.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2014 7:11:00 AM More reviews by YCH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I canot believe anyone can use these !
I bought a pack last year asI was running low on my normal hair bands (is that what you call them ?) but these are exactly like putting an elastic band in your hair as my Mum used to do to me in the 1960s when it all gets tangled up and you end up cutting it out.
Was going to return them (even in the UK which is not easy) as I hated them so much, but found a great use for them in using them to hold brushes when I hang them to dry upside down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 4:53:00 AM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

These ponytail holders DO work as advertised. I'm a runner with long, waist length hair and I admit, I was skeptical of the claim at first because almost all the holders I tried in the past just didn't hold up to the weight of my hair and the bouncing action of running combined. Most of them would slip down the middle of my hair during my workout. Well not anymore! With these holders, I can wear a mid to high ponytail during a 12 mile run and come home with it still intact without a single slip or sag. It really stays put and doesn't move! It takes getting used to since it doesn't stretch like regular elastic cloth holders do. Because of that, it also doesn't stretch out of shape. I haven't had one snap on me (yet) and I'm still on the first one even after 3 months of use but I take an extra with me "just in case" it does.

Getting this ponytail holder off does take a bit of work and requires some patience to avoid pulling your hair out in the process. It's not something you can just slide off the hair easily in one go like you do with regular elastic cloth holders because of the material it's made of. I have to basically ease it off slowly, unwinding each loop one at a time. Done this way I have yet to yank any hairs out. Highly recommended, especially for active people who can't keep their ponytails in place during activities.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I never thought I'd be writing a review about ponytail holders but... here we are. I had very short hair for most of my life and, now that it's long, I feel strange having it down because I'm used to seeing myself without hair around my face. Because of this, I wear my hair up pretty much very day and I go through ponytail holders like crazy. I bought a few packs of the Goody Ouchless elastics a while back and I've been plowing my way through those but they don't stay put in my hair and they lose their elasticity SO quickly. I saw these and thought they were gimmicky but curiosity got the better of me. They look like thick versions of the rubber bracelets I used to wear when I was a kid, they're even in the same bright colors. They don't pull at my hair, they don't slip, they don't lose elasticity... I just love them. They may have a tendency to snap - I haven't had this issue yet - but so do any other hair band. I am very pleased with these and will definitely repurchase. These are fantastic!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by Artoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

The good: These bands are fairly sturdy and come in a lot of fun colors. They are not unbreakable--I've had 3 snap on me, one while tying my hair and two when I went to sleep with a ponytail--but they are less inclined to snap than regular hair elastics, since they are a solid piece without a seam. They also don't lose their elasticity after a few uses, which is a definite plus, and they are indeed no-slip--I can tie a tight ponytail and expect it not to have loosened by the end of the day.

The bad: I have medium-fine straight hair. There is no way around this negative--these hair bands snag my hair. I've tried to be more careful taking them out, stretching the bands out and actually unwinding it from my hair rather than just pulling. If I am *extremely careful* I can expect to remove a band with minimal hair loss. Sleeping with a ponytail in, forget about it--the movement in my sleep will cause the band to create a sort of endless snarl that will HAVE to be pulled out. I've taken to tying a ponytail on the top of my head for sleeping, since that won't be disturbed by any movement in my sleep. Any sort of rolling friction will cause the band to catch onto a strand of hair. It's a shame because I really wanted to love these! I'd say that this product accomplishes its goal of "No-slip" a little TOO well.

Overall: Yes, I'd probably buy these again. The great performance just BARELY squeaks past the fact that usage of this hairband actually requires more focus and a deft hand than I'd care for.