December 21, 2014 | 951 users online

Body Scrubs - LUSH - Brimstone

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by fundercat55

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

They aren't kidding around with the name Brimstone on this one. The sulfurous odor is the main reason I won't be purchasing this again. I ordered both this and Glorious Mud from the website and while I adore Glorious Mud, I found Brimstone to be both average in it's scrubby ability and stinky. Does a good job smoothing out rough knees, elbows and ankles, but no better than a handful of kosher salt from the kitchen would do. A rare misfire from Lush for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 4:17:00 PM More reviews by femmechirp

This product is not for the feint of heart. First, it's REALLY exfoliating (some reviewers have found it a bit too much for delicate skin. I find most body scrubs to be a bit wimpy, so I'm happy with the seriousness of this product). Second, the underlying smell (faint) is of sulphur, so akin to the striking of a match (which I happen to like, but probably not for everyone). Third, proper use is a bit technique sensitive (the product works best for me when I use the entire bar, that I've very carefully kept from ongoing exposure to moisture or running water, on my wet skin whilst standing out of the direct stream of the shower. Others, however, prefer to break off chunks to use as they go, while still others seems to like to pound it into a powder, make a paste and use that all over). Once I figured out the best way for me to use it, I couldn't be happier. My skin is, literally, as smooth as a baby's, all over (including my hips, butt, and upper back legs, which have historically defied most exfoliators). I like the underlying sulphur smell (again, very faint), as well as it's primary a soft jasmine smell (which is what I'm left with after rinsing). I did chunk a few bits and used them to scrub my hands, which are now wonderfully soft and smooth. I haven't tried it on my feet yet, but imagine I'll be pretty happy when I do. I wish there was a more convenient for Lush to package this product, and that's the only reason I'm not giving it a five, but I've already re-purchased it a few times.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 More reviews by VictrixObsequens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really like this! I picked this up while on a trip. The LUSH sales associate showed me both this one and Mud Flats (which I also liked) but since Mud Flats seemed a little messier I went with Brimstone.

It's really exfoliating so you have to be careful on more delicate skin but on feet it's GREAT. On arms I have to be more gentle and break off a piece and rub it in by hand instead of rubbing the bar on directly.

To use this I've been wetting it in the bath and then rubbing it on trouble spots. It takes a little bit but it'll get soft enough to use after you give it a few minutes. I should have cut it into pieces first but I've been letting it air dry and then rewetting it and no real harm seems to be done.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Binkey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this product!!! I just used it in the shower and my skin feels soooo nice! It is fizzy so I stepped out of the spray of the shower so it would not fizz all up and wash away. I scrubbed myself down (gently cause it was too rough with it hard) and then rubbed it all in with my hands and left it for about a min and then rinsed. It makes you feel so soft and refreshed! The smell is not offensive and it washed off easily under the shower. I would not recommend using in the bath as it is fizzy and would be more like a bath bomb and disintegrate fast.
I am going to buy another online today so I don't run out.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2011 1:02:00 AM More reviews by isingonrooftops

First of all, I will acknowledge that I probably used this wrong. Instead of just simply wetting it and scrubbing it all over my body at once, I should have cut it into little pieces and used at different times. Nevertheless, even had I done that, I still don't think that I would like this scrub very much, because it fizzes and turns into a soft clay texture, thus rendering it useless. The consistency is way too . . . well, squishy, to provide much exfoliating action (and this is coming from someone who prefers gentle exfoliants; none of that microdermabrasion stuff). Also, because the texture is so thick, it sticks to your bathtub and takes a while to clean. If you like scrubs that fizz like bombs, then maybe, just maybe, this would be worth checking out. However, I can't imagine anyone enjoying scrubbing sticky clay stuff off their tub. >.<