July 29, 2014 | 1587 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in Aigle Noir

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2013 12:21:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I wish I'd heeded the negative reviews here as well as the "F" rating given by Temptalia.com (not affiliated). Aigle Noir reminds me of NARS Night Clubbing in eyeliner form, but the gold shimmer makes it almost dark olive in color. I tried this without a primer, and it was crease city within 30 minutes, both as a liner or as a eyeshadow base. I later tried it with UDPP layered underneath, and it still creased badly. Shame because it's a gorgeous color.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Beauty4Ashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like a previous reviewer stated, I wasn't expecting much from Aigle Noir based on the Soft Touch Shadow Pencils' poor reviews. However, when a NARS SA used this as a smokey eye base during a make over recently, I was pleasantly surprised. It glided on my lids smoothly and gave true-to-pencil color payoff. It has mediocre lasting power (which is why I give a 4/5) on its own, so I highly suggest using primer under for longer wear. For a great, modern smokey eye look, I use Aigle Noir with Night Clubbing pressed on top and New York just above the crease (all NARS products).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

NARS Shadow Pencils have a bad reputation, so I wasn't expecting much when I got this. But I was amazed and very surprised when I use this gem. I have used it over a shadow primer (NARS pro primer), smudged it all over my eye lid since I was creating a very intense smokey eye for a night out, and then used NARS Okinawa trio over it. It looked fabulous and lasted all night with no creasing.

I've also used it over liner and under my eyes as a way to smudge up my liner and it has lasted very well (didn't budge) and looked fabulous.

I don't think that this is a necessary addition to anyone's make up bag, since I really don't get very much use out of it. Luckily, it was a gift, and I don't really regret spending money on it. I'll be amazed if I ever use it all up since it's very very pigmented. It's nice as a base to a smokey eye and used in conjunction with other products, but I wouldn't ever use it on it's own. It's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by ashlicita

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was surprised to see the negative reviews for this product and the NARS soft touch shadow pencils in general. I only have two (Aigle Noir and Hollywoodland), but this pencil is such an amazing base for a very dramatic, dark eye. I wear this as a base, and it stays put all night. The soft shimmer shines through, adding a little dimension to the look. I would definitely re-buy!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Joseybird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

These pencils have gotten a bad rep, and to be honest, I have no idea or opinion as to how they function as eyeshadow. I've only used this as eyeliner, but in this capacity, Aigle Noir has not disappointed me.

As has already been mentioned, Aigle Noir is a gorgeous deep black with a delicate golden sheen that makes me think "black gold." Swatched on my hand next to Lorac midnight sparkle pencil (which is black with chunky silver glitter), it looks incredibly sophisticated yet subtle.

As an eyeliner, Aigle Noir glides on smoothly and evenly without tugging. It's a bit harder to maneuver than a thin eyeliner pencil, but its chubbiness also makes it more foolproof for a klutz like me. The subtle golden gleam is visible on the eyelid; you can tell this is an expensive, high-quality product (more so than my other black eyeliners, certainly!).

The wear is excellent; it lasted all day and didn't smudge or migrate at all.

I give this a a 5, but only as an eyeliner; I have no use for black shadow so I cannot vouch for it as such.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by AQuestionofLust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Firstly, I would like to say that if I had a favorite cosmetic brand, NARS would be it. Moving right along: this is one of the worst high-end cosmetic products I can remember trying in the last 10 years. And I have a great memory for this kind of thing.

I am helplessly attracted to on-the-go beauty products. I'm forever applying my makeup on the subway, in the backs of cabs, at work, etc... not to mention re-applying touch-ups throughout the day or night... for this reason, I like products that function well with minimal effort and/or are easily portable. The sleek, capped pencil eye shadow concept appealed to me greatly. I own and love one by Smashbox that's on its last legs, so I figured I'd try the NARS when I saw it.

Aigle Noir is a beautiful dense carbon black with a plethora of tiny golden shimmers. I wish the formula wasn't so awful because the color has amazing depth. I suppose it's the cream texture that makes it stand out from other black and gold combo shadows-- AN is really very beautiful color and texture wise to the eye.

When I swatched it on my hand in-store I had a hard time wiping it off and took this to mean that the product would last a goodly amount of time on my lids(with primer, of course). I was so, so wrong. I used primer(Too Faced), a base(MAC's Groundwork paint-pot, the perfect true nude) underneath, *and* brushed a similar toned eye shadow over this pencil and it still creased like mad. Within minutes. The primer-base-powder trick has worked with literally every other eye product I've tried in terms of keeping shadows in place, from cream to kohl to powders. But not NARS' Soft Touch Pencil.

On my eyes, this product took the consistency of tar. Even when used alone with no base or powder, or used with just a base. Upon application it pulls and tugs and is generally a pain in the butt to put on. It runs in dense clumps and smudges and goes everywhere. On the NARS site, this pencil is described as "Smooth, creamy, long-wearing formula". The only place that the product was long-wearing on was my contact lenses after the product ran into my eyes-- not exactly what I was going for.

If I could give this item a 0, I would. NARS soft touch pencils retail $24USD-- this is a joke. Don't even bother.