This has to be THE Sandalwood soap.
The perfume reminds me of a temple altar or the ambrosial prasad offering 'Panchamrit' (milk, honey, ghee, yogurt and brown sugar). Sacred :)
The soap may be a little harsh for sensitive skin. Over recent years, the soap company ownership has changed hands and the formula seems to have less sandalwood oil now.
I had completely forgotten about this soap. I have used it a couple of times & its pretty good. I specially like it for the fragrance. I just wish it came in a better packet & was a little less pricey. Also more moisturizing. Will definitely buy again.
The REAL Mysore Sandalwood Soap -
If you like the alluring smell of genuine sandalwood, you'll LOVE this simple bar soap. I've been using it for what seems like forever.
The soap is made from real sandalwood in Mysore, India.
- It is FRAGRANT and smells strongly of itself.
- The soap comes in two sizes: a small oval cake good for travelling and a larger squarish size perfect for the shower. It lathers up quickly and rinses cleanly away. (It's not triple-milled so each cake doesn't last very long).
- If you like it, there's an equally fresh & fragrant talcum powder
- It is a 100% better and more potent than the sandalwood soap sold by Crabtree & Evelyn, Roget & Gallet and Caswell Massey (those smell like pale knock-off's compared to this soap).
- Guess WHAT? This soap makes a FABULOUS substitute for pot-pourri placed amongst your finer lingerie, pashminas, and other delicates. Another benefit is that moths don't like it.
At under a $1.50 for the smaller bar of soap, this is a winner in the $$$$ department! Find it at an Indian grocery store near you. If there isin't one in your area, you can buy it from Indian Grocery shops online.
You won't miss the box: It's green, yellow and red and will say,
"Mysore Sandal Soap" in neo-Gothic script.
~ I love this honest-to-goodness soap so much. I do not buy the nonsense that soap can 'replenish', moisturise or put anything INTO your skin (only to be rinsed away!): soap should first & foremost - CLEAN the skin and leave no residue when rinsed off.
N.B. India is supposedly curtailing production of the rare Mysore Sandalwood so this could be seen less and less on shelves.