October 25, 2014 | 1226 users online

Gels/Soaps - MYSORE SANDALWOOD SOAP - & Powder

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has to be THE Sandalwood soap.
The perfume reminds me of a temple altar or the ambrosial prasad offering 'Panchamrit' (milk, honey, ghee, yogurt and sugar). Sacred :) Even just storing the soap in a paper sachet in the closet works wonders - the scent of sandalwood permeates the air.

The soap may be a little harsh for sensitive skin. Over recent years, the soap company ownership has changed hands and the formula seems to have very little sandalwood oil now.
Earlier versions of the soap had lots of sandalwood oil because it was owned by the state government of Karnataka. Now it is a private inc.

Still it is one of my favorite soaps as I love sandalwood.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by MamaMo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hmmm. It smells very strong. I personally love the smell of sandalwood, but my husband doesn't and he complains that he can smell this from the next room. It also is irritating to my... self... So I have to be careful when I was my armpits or my back so that no water with this soap in it goes near... myself, or it feels- let's just say I don't do it. If you are a dude, this would not be a concern for you unless you got it all up in- well, you get the idea. If you have sensitive skin, I wouldn't even try this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 8:08:00 PM More reviews by adrota

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I had completely forgotten about this soap. I have used it a couple of times & its pretty good. I specially like it for the fragrance. I just wish it came in a better packet & was a little less pricey. Also more moisturizing. Will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Beaumonde

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The REAL Mysore Sandalwood Soap -

If you like the alluring smell of genuine sandalwood, you'll LOVE this simple bar soap. I've been using it for what seems like forever.
The soap is made from real sandalwood in Mysore, India.

THE 411:

- It is FRAGRANT and smells strongly of itself.

- The soap comes in two sizes: a small oval cake good for travelling and a larger squarish size perfect for the shower. It lathers up quickly and rinses cleanly away. (It's not triple-milled so each cake doesn't last very long).

- If you like it, there's an equally fresh & fragrant talcum powder

- It is a 100% better and more potent than the sandalwood soap sold by Crabtree & Evelyn, Roget & Gallet and Caswell Massey (those smell like pale knock-off's compared to this soap).

- Guess WHAT? This soap makes a FABULOUS substitute for pot-pourri placed amongst your finer lingerie, pashminas, and other delicates. Another benefit is that moths don't like it.

At under a $1.50 for the smaller bar of soap, this is a winner in the $$$$ department! Find it at an Indian grocery store near you. If there isin't one in your area, you can buy it from Indian Grocery shops online.
You won't miss the box: It's green, yellow and red and will say,
"Mysore Sandal Soap" in neo-Gothic script.

~ I love this honest-to-goodness soap so much. I do not buy the nonsense that soap can 'replenish', moisturise or put anything INTO your skin (only to be rinsed away!): soap should first & foremost - CLEAN the skin and leave no residue when rinsed off.

N.B. India is supposedly curtailing production of the rare Mysore Sandalwood so this could be seen less and less on shelves.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No