GVP Generic Value Products Conditioner: Compare to Paul Mitchell The Conditioner

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is a LEAVE-IN conditioner, I think that might explain some low-ratings-people may be using it as a rinse-out.

Anyhow, my hair DESPERATELY needed moisture. My hair has been colored and the harsh dry winters do it no good, so it needed moisture and lots of it. So after lots of hunting and reviewing, I got this one which is exactly the same as the name brand Paul Mitchell The Conditioner.

Now I love Paul Mitchell, but not the price. So when I saw this for about 5$ for 16 oz, and the fact it claimed to be so moisturizing, I had to have it. Now don't let the ingredients scare you, all the silicones are water-soluable so this won't build-up on your hair like other leave-ins can.

This product left my hair so soft and silky, and it also detangles nicely. Now it doesn't smell good, it smells like bathroom cleaner, but the smell does not linger! Once it goes on your hair, it produces no smell once so ever. Also, the conditioner is BRIGHT blue! Weird? Yes! But it turns white when you rub it between your hands. This leave-in is super concentrated, I use about the size of a quarter for my mid-back length hair, so this will last me quite a while!

If you are looking for moisture and silky soft hair, this is for you! I love this product! The container is big and kinda bulky, but easily transferable to a smaller squeeze container!

on 6/22/2011 4:54:00 PM

I love the GVP Tea tree shampoo. As I have very dry hair, this condtioner just was not moisturizing enough for me, although I do not think it is a bad conditioner for other hair types. I liked the minty smell of this but did not notice as much of a minty tingle like I get from the matching shampoo. Because my hair is like straw I alternate between the GVP Paul MItchell tea tree oil treament and the GVP Paul Mitchell super strong treatment. The price is so insanely low that this is definitely worth a try.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Unlike the previous reviewer, I find this product incredible, and I am extremely excited about finally finding a leave-in that works on my coarse, dry hair. After failures with it's a 10, miracle 7, and countless sprays, this one is my HG. After realizing the damage I was doing to my hair with protein overload, I had to part ways with potion 9, and this is by far the best I've tried. If my in-shower conditioner is lacking, GVP PM picks up the slack, bringing my curls back to life. A drop or two of argan oil (I use pure argan oil I got at whole foods, and macadamia nut oil is also good,) mixed in with the PM is particularly amazing. Even the fact that it looks oddly like toothpaste coming out of the bottle is completely irrelevant when a product is effective as this one. One of the most indispensable products in my arsenal, definite repurchase, and a very holy HG.

ETA: just to clarify, this is a leave-in conditioner. Sally's carries GVP versions of paul mitchell's tea tree line, both the shampoo and conditioner, which I believe the reviewer below me I referring to when she is saying this product has a "minty smell"--the GVP paul mitchell "the conditioner" is essentially unscented, unlike it's tea tree counterparts. Hate to see people reviewing the wrong product and bringing the rating down. It's not that difficult to get it right.

on 1/25/2011 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I got this conditioner about a couple of years ago. I purchased it after I started highlighting/bleaching my hair. Even with a regular or a deep conditioner in the shower, my hair still needed something extra after I towel dry becuase it gets tangled easily.
I have never used the Paul Mitchell version of this product so I don't know exactly how well it compares. But this is an overall a good product. It comes it a big 16oz bottle for about $5 at Sally's. The product is blue in the bottle and looks pretty much like a gel. I apply it to hair after towel drying and it makes my hair much more manageable and softer. I can comb through a lot easier. Doesn't do anything else extra special, just makes hair softer and a tiny bit smoother.
The scent is very light but nothing special and it doesn't linger.

I like this but since it is such a big bottle and I don't use a ton of it (about a quarter amount each time), it's lasted me years and I am still only about half way though the bottle. Don't know whether or not I wil repurchase since I expect this will last probably for another couple of years. I'd also rather give this a 3.5 but since I can't I'll give it a 3... it's decent but nothing to get overly excited about.