July 22, 2014 | 2390 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Matte - Quarry

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 9:25:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Such a beautiful matte taupe/grey/violet color, I absolutely love it! I use it for every day smokey eyes as I do not like too dark eye shadows. It looks really nice and soft. It's perfect for day time loook, one of my favorite colors. I combine it with Orb and something like Woodwinked.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by stls

Quarry is a rather unique neutral everyday color. These kind of eyeshadows are my favorite. An interesting mix of purple, taupe and grey. Mostly matte but not dull. Enhances nicely my green eyes and I use it as a base or crease color with other purples, grays and neutrals. The color payoff and longevity aren't grat though so I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by sivadore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This works great as a crease color for fair skin. I'm NW10 with freckles and I end up using this color a lot in a blue/purple/gunmetal smokey eye. It's a nice alternative to Soft Brown, I'm not sure it's cool-toned but it certainly works as a neutral/gray counterpart to Soft Brown in the crease. On me it's a plum gray color with a hint of neutral brown.

If you are very fair and want a crease color that works with cool-toned looks, I would highly recommend picking up Quarry.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2013 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

In my opinion, an extremely muted greyed plum. This is very displeasing to the eye when I match it with other cooler, warmer, purple or red toned shadows. In fact, it's sickly, makes me look tired, sallow and like I don't know how to apply eyeshadow.

I almost wanted to return this little one, and it still isn't one of my favourites (Despite my love towards MAC's matte neutrals.)
However, mixing this with other warmer eyeshadows, especially ones leaning towards orange, has me enjoying keeping this in my neutral palette of 26.

I enjoy applying this mainly in the crease only, or outer v's, depending on the look I am going for the day. If you want me to namedrop the warmer shades I combine this with, I use MAC's Wedge, Soft Brown, Saddle, Kid, or Woodwinked!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the oddest color but I have to say I like it. It reads lavender/taupe on me with a hint of brown. The third image above, the close up of the color in the pot, is exactly how it looks on me. I used it all over the lid and in the crease and a tiny bit above crease, with lots of black mascara and that's it. The result is sort of a wide eyed, doe eyed look, and that is saying something for me because I have hooded lids and small eyes. I wouldn't say the color makes my green eye color pop but more so makes them look wider. And the weird thing is that I look like I really don't have any eye shadow on. I've been looking for a color like that for ages!

I'm a mom and I also work full time so I need a quick, just throw it on and go type of color that I don't have to mess with, with half a dozen different brushes and layering. With this, I really just put on a good wash of color with my MAC 217 brush and I was done. No fussing in front of the dang mirror to get it just so, because it went on "just so" within a few seconds. I typically like warmer browns on me and stay away from cool purples and taupes, but this color works for me (medium/light skin with pink undertones, green eyes, brown hair).

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Quarry is a soft plum/grey matte shade.

I didn't experience blending problems with this. I use MAC's 217 brush for that.

Haven't experimented much with this one. I did use Quarry as a lid color and Blackberry on the outer corner and into the crease. I wasn't so wow-ed by it though.

I imagine it would look good paired with a grey shade like MAC Print, haven't tried it myself though. It's one of those shades you always look at when you're about to do your eye makeup and think to yourself "Oh I should try this, it looks promising...let's use this with ummm....oh never mind not now I'll try it later" :D

For now am giving it 4 lippies, but I'll come back and update you on it when I've given it a chance to prove me it's a good color. So till then :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This shade reminds of a blueberry that got dropped on the floor and swept up in dust bunnies. What a pretty color. At first I was like oh hells no this is a crease shade for a dead old lady. But it's actually a very versatile, natural looking crease color that can easily add depth to anyone NC/NW40 or lighter.

If you are looking for a shimmer shade to compliment this, hands down you want satin taupe. This will give you the ultimate sexy celestial nights duo. If you need something warmer, go for Sable + Haux (almost exactly like this except it has red in it). It's grey-plum-taupe. What a romantic hybrid of colors.

One lippie off because the ultra-matte finish is kinda hard to blend and work with.

I can't stop batting my eyes in the mirror. My eyes now look like clouds hovering over Paris at dusk (albeit very polluted clouds, since Quarry has some degree of taupe brown to it).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 1:16:00 AM More reviews by dollbird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I actually don't use this as an eyeshadow, but as a contour color due to an ingenious suggestion from the MAC MUA. It mimics the hue of a natural shadow (shadows are more greyish than brown) and looks more natural than any bronzer I have tried. Gives me superb cheekbones. Please MAC never discontinue this!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 4:59:00 PM More reviews by nsr

I used this color many years ago and don't know why I stopped using it. It is a beautiful neutral smoky color for my cool toned skin. It looks a little purply/plum in the container but it reads as a nice soft gray (but not as cold as a gray) on the eye. I find it also brings out the blue in my eyes, as many of my co-workers have mentioned. I use this as an overall cover and use Slate as the crease color. I also use slate as an under eye liner. Just enough color so I don't look like a raccoon. MAC is more expensive than drugstore brands but not overly so and it lasts a looooong time!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by teaelleyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hmm, I kept going back and forth on this one and actually brought it back to the store w/ the intention of returning it not once but twice. I have pretty tan skin (NW35) and it pretty much doesn't even show up on me unless I use a primer. However when I have a primer on and pack it on w/ a heavy hand using my 239 it looks very very nice, soft smooth looking pale plummy goodness that's perfect for work (the gray doesn't show up on me at all). It also works good blending out satin taupe for a gentle smoky eye (also over a primer).