October 21, 2014 | 1005 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Invisible Loose Setting Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 2:40:00 AM More reviews by tbastas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This powder is amazing! Provides oil control, sets foundation, gives that soft focus effect, minimizes the appearance of pores and wrinkles, does not look dry or cakey! But can emphasize the wrinkles if you use too much! But so many other powders are similar makeupforever hd, elf hd powder and many other brands make similar silica powders and translucent ones that are cheaper than this one. But I prefer this one and i will continue purchasing this one for one reason only, because in flash photography this does not leave a white cast on the skin and this is because the silica in this powder is very low. It contains calcium aluminum borosilicate and silica. It is basically all calcium aluminum borosilicate with very little silica. Of coure if you dont ever take photos there are many cheaper alternatives you can choose from and will save you lots of $$. Every other translucent powder I have tried either gives a white cast or contains cornstarch (like mac prep and prime loose powder) that usually breaks people out because cornstarch feeds bacteria which will lead to your skin to be filled with bacteria and cause breakouts even acne! Talc free powders like this one are the best cause talc can dry you skin out which can cause redness, rashes and pimples. Laura mercier has produced an excellent powder but yes it is over prised because you only get 11.3gr. but this powder does not compare to any other alternatives (except chantecaille loose powder). This powder and Covergirl Clean sensitive powder (220 creamy natural) are my absolute favorites! I wish people at makeupalley researched their products a little more before writing a review because it is a pity such a great product to have a very low rating.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2012 5:55:00 AM More reviews by isabeljcat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

Being a huge fan of most Laura Mercier products, I was expecting to love this product. No such luck. I have pretty good skin for my age (41) with only a few fine lines on my forehead but when I put this powder on - whoa did they show up!! I've used Laura's Star Dust for ages and what a huge difference between the two.. Star Dust tends to diffuse and reflect while the Invisible Loose SITS in fine lines and wrinkles, almost accentuating them. Another huge negative: Laura Mercier has seriously reduced her content size while keeping the same price points. $35 for 0.4oz, when she was putting out loose powders at the same price point a year or so before with a net weight of 1oz? No thank you. I chalked this one up to a learning experience and gave it away to a much younger friend who is a fan.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

In general, I'm not a fan of loose powders, (they usually make you look cakey, no matter what they may claim). I usually use Mac Blot, which is pretty much HG for me so far. Needless to say, this is almost the exact same thing as Make Up Forever's HD loose powder...which I absoloutley hate. Which is why I should've known better than to buy this one, my bad. This powder barely controls oil, doesn't leave a natural finish, makes you look cakey, & leaves a white cast (so yes, this changes the color of your make up). This also felt very itchy, just like the one from MUFE. I didn't use this long enough to know if this would've irritated my skin in any way. This is basically the same thing as baby powder & contains the same main ingredient. I feel dumb because the ingredients are usually the first thing I look at before I buy a product, & If I would've read them...I would've saved myself a hassle. Honestly, I was originially going to buy the translucent loose setting powder from Laura Mercier, but somehow one of the Sales Associates talked me into buying this one. I don't know why I listened. Take my advice, don't buy this. If you tried the MUFE version, & didn't like it...then definitely don't buy this. I'm actually going to return this today, I'm still not sure if I will end up trying the one I was originally going to buy. The only good thing I will say about this product is that the packaging was way better than MUFE'S. This one has a shield that you can easily slide open & shut, where the sifter is. Which makes this container easier to use & way less of a mess than with MUFE'S version. I also want to comment on the price. The stuff from this line is way overpriced for what it is. This was $36....rip off.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 12:18:00 AM More reviews by cel1979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this at a Laura Mercier counter and fell in love.
Extremely light weight and smooth. It looks so stark white in the jar but that disappears on your face and it does not make my face look cakey in any way.
I love the way it feels - like velvet.
I think the jar is also great. It has a twist top to cover the holes so product doesn't spill everywhere during travel - I just have to remember to close it as i've got a stack in the lid. But that's my fault, not the packaging's fault!
I apply after foundation over my T zone or the entire face and it doesn't dull my skin or remove the luminosity of my skin.
I apply with a dome shaped soft face brush and I just love it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2011 3:51:00 PM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For some reason the translucent powder isn't sold in Switzerland any more (please tell me it isn't discontinued) so I got this.

The silica makes me cough, it is grainy, and if I have any shine it cakes. I don't love silica powders per se, but I have had a much better experience with MUFE silica.

Also I am kinda paranoid about silicosis but whatevers.

Right now, out of desperation, I am cutting this with the last bits of my translucent while I hunt for another loose powder. I do like the container more than Laura's other powder containers, but silica powders just don't do it for me. I hope it was the language barrier and not that LM went and discontinued their best product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

Invisible, weightless, and keeps shine at bay for up to 6 hours. I love this powder more than my MUFE HD powder. I tip a teensy bit into the lid and swirl her mini fan brush (part of a GWP) through it, dusting on T-zone only. It softens, sets, and makes me look finished, but not matte. Just...nice and finished. I am NC30/C4 light tan asian and this really is invisible on my skin. Very pleased.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by gandangnatural

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I love this product.It controls the oiliness in my tzone area and I rarely have to reapply the entire day:-) there's that silky feel when you touch your face.It seems to disappear once applied. It also makes my makeup last the entire day considering that I live in a very humid area.:-)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2011 6:54:00 PM More reviews by moonburn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received this product as a generously sized sample with a Laura Mercier order. I've been using it daily and I really like it. A small amount of product minimizes the appearance of pores and gives a soft-focus effect. Since this is a silica powder, it does a great job of controlling shine. It wears nicely and doesn't feel heavy. I definitely plan on buying a full-sized jar once I finish my sample.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 12:56:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I have used this for some time now and also have tried the similar MUFE as well as ELF's version, so feel qualified having tried low and high end comparisons. I find this to be somewhere between the two. I was shocked that I loved MUFE's the best and really and truly saw a difference between that and the ELF version. The ELF is so cheap that to try it was a no brainer, the LM powder was a free sample when I ordered from her site and the small size and lovely little fan brush it comes with are great to carry. I find this a nice powder, basically colorless and invisible, but nothing magical, so not an HG for me.

It just doesn't impart that clean, matte, youthful look the MUFE did and that the ELF supposedly does (they are said to be the same thing but the result is not the same for me). The LM sets my mu and I often use it to touch up, however, when I look in a mirror later, unlike with the MUFE that stayed fresh looking, I still see shine and I look like I'm wearing mu thats been on all day, and yes I have, but geez hate to look it! I find it necessary to compare the two because then MUFE was one of the first of the kind in this form and set a standard which I really thought a lot of hype until I tried and compared these products. The ELF will last me into the next century but if I were to purchase a full sized version of another such powder, it would not be the LM, nice, adequate, but nothing more. I should add I am a LM fan and love, love, love both the Secret Concealer and Secret Brightening powder so not loving this came as a surprise and a disappointment though realistically its hard to find a line one loves every product in. I feel if you have not tried the MUFE version of this you will actually be more impressed with this powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/30/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by tinsel5001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I received a sample of this at the LM counter, and I wasn't that impressed. I don't think I would buy it. It didn't seem like anything amazing or special (as I may have hoped.) Just sort of "eh."