November 26, 2014 | 1650 users online

Lipstick - Make Up For Ever - Rouge Artist Intense #40

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by harmony7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this shade today. The true orange color drew me in and I knew I had to have this. I tried it on a few hours later and hated it.

It balled up and sunk into my lip lines. It was overly bright and looked crazy on my NC50 skin. I was all set to return it.

BUT, I was determined to make this shade work.

My mistake the first time was applying it straight from the tube with no lip liner and no lip preparation. So I figured out I needed to do some prep work.

Here's what I did:
1) I scrubbed my lips with baking soda.
2) I applied a small amount of Rosebud Salve and blended the excess away
3) I lightly lined and filled in my lips with MAC Chestnut liner
4) I applied this color with my FINGER, building up the color.

As a result, this shade looks fantastic against my skin! There is also no feathering and minimal sinking into lip lines. By adding Chestnut liner and applying with my finger, this orange shade lives up to its true potential without making me look clownish.

Speaking of the color, it reads as a true orange on my pigmented lips, not coral, not pale, just orange.

Since it is so pigmented, you don't need to pile it on. It does have an old school lipstick scent that I don't particularly care for, but I can deal with it. The satin texture glides on and it cost $20.

With the proper lip preparation, this shade is perfect for most skintones.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 8:55:00 AM More reviews by SanFranGirl

The shade I got is actually #42 or as company's website suggests "Satin Vermilion Red".
Formula & Texture: feel and texture of this lipstick very much reminds me of the Rouge Dior lipsticks, which is one of my favorites. Artist Intense applies quite smooth and effortless on the lips. It is not too-buttery, but is quite nourishing and moisturizing. This product didn't slide around like crazy, so I believe you can easily pull this one off skipping the lip liner.

Color & Finish: #42 is a true classic red and looks very flattering against my NC30 skin tone. I actually gave it to my mom who is couple of shades darker and she loved it as well.

I actually wrote an entire blog post about this product, you can easily check it through the link below:

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by hoykirsten

This lipstick is a fiery shade of orange... which is lovely, but boy, does this bad boy feather and settle into lip lines! If you don't have a bright lipliner to match this, skip it. However, if you're a touch-up girl throughout the day, you should consider getting it. It's an orange color like no other.

I suggest exfoliating and moisturizing your lips prior to your face make-up application, followed by lining your lips and applying this for staying power.

I probably wouldn't buy this again, only because I have to constantly worry about the feathering and awkward product chunking on my lips. But then again, I am a worry wart.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

If you want the best orange, this is it. It's full color/coverage, lasts, and it's comfortable. This never fades or feathers, but I don't have lips with lines in them. Make sure you moisturize first to get a good even application. This is the go-to orange for so many people. I love the formula and the shade range of this line. It has this nice 'expensive lipstick' scent that's subtle.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2011 9:56:00 PM More reviews by diorcouture

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is absolutly fabulous! The bright orange lip was very in Spring/Summer 2010 and followed into Autumn and Winter. This is the exact orange you see on the runways and is a must for any fashionista. I always get stopped when wearing this lip. Must try!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2011 9:10:00 AM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This colour is mega hot!!! As soon as I bought it I had to put some on! I must say I was very impressed with the pigmentation and felt the lipstick was conditioning for my lips. This brand is very hard to find in Australia and very expensive. I wouldn't pay the dollars here but ended up sourcing this lipstick from overseas - it was a risk but a very good one!! Not sure if it stays on as long as it boasts. This brand has so much hype and now that it has made itself more available to an audience other that MUAs in the industry I think with some of their other products they need to make them more friendly or perhaps explain that their products are best applied with the correct make up brush.

Anyways really loved this lipstick. This shade is quite bold!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by jjjjjjjjdb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this lipstick because I was rummaging through the drug store brands to find a nice coral lipstick that was more orange than pink and couldn't find one anywhere that had high pigmentation like this one!
But what I find difficult to process is that it's 22$ in Canada + taxes = 24$
and it doesn't even stay! Less than two hours later, I notice the colour fading. Without even eating or anything! It's very dissapointing. And it also dries out my lips :(
Nonetheless, it's worth it for the absolutely stunning colour and the packaging is pretty sturdy. You can dab it on to create a cute coral lip or go full on with an orange pout! Lovely:)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2011 12:37:00 PM More reviews by jezebeljunk

Because I was dying to create an orange lip this summer, I searched for long and hard for a nice true orange. This is an honest to goddess orange and an excellent choice. There is no red to it at all.

I absolutely love this lipstick for a variety of reasons. The consistency is quite creamy and comfortable to wear. I'm a dry person in general and don't find that this dries my lips at all really. There isn't much of a sent to the lipstick unless you hold it right up to your nose, which is a major plus in my book. It also doesn't taste bad (like Urban Decay lipsticks). The quality is just really nice in general and has made me want to try other Make Up For Ever products.

My favorite feature of this product is interesting to me: this is a very buildable lipstick that provides a multitude of different color intensities - not something I really expect in a lipstick. For instance, you could dab onto the lips and then press with your finger for a stain effect. Or, you can achieve a sheer effect by applying one coat alone with a lip brush, which gives you sort of a Rouge Coco Shine type feel. Or, you can also create a more intense lip by doing several coats with a lip brush or just doing several coats straight from the tube. Originally, I thought I was going to need to buy several different orange lip products so that I could have either a sheen look or dark look; but I've been able to achieve both of these effects with one product, which I am super stoked about.

I am not generally a lip liner type of person. However, I would recommend a lip liner for this lipstick. You also might as well go ahead and by the Make Up For Ever lip liner in bright orange because I have searched high and low for a cheap drugstore orange and have yet to find one. I haven't found another orange lipstick like this and I think this is why Make Up For Ever is the only one who carries the matching lip liner. If you want an intense neon like orange lip you will need the lip liner for sure. The color is buildable as I said before, but it does only go to a certain intensity.

My only real complaint about this product relates to the requirement of the lip liner. I do not find that lipstick bleeds on my lips. However, this lipstick does bleed on the bottom. Again, I think this would be totally solvable with the lip liner. I also find that this is not terribly long lasting (not a real problem for me, as I LOVE to put on my lipstick, but still thought you should know) but again fixable with the lip liner.

In summary, I totally dig this truly orange lipstick and now really want to try out other Make Up For Ever products as I was so impressed with the quality. Quality is excellent for the price. It only gets 4 stars because nothing is a Chanel Rouge Coco except for a Chanel Rouge Coco. l

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by PracticalVanity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

$19 for a tube of lipstick that you most likely won't be wearing on a daily or regular basis may seem too much, but when you consider its pigmentation, longevity and comfortable wear, the price can easily be overlooked. The MUFE Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick line is one of my favorite lipsticks and this particular shade beats all my other lipsticks.

The pigmentation is just phenomenal. One swipe and I'm good to go. It lasts 6hours on my lips and survives meals and drinks. It feels comfortable on my lips. I've severely dry lips and this doesn't aggravate it. What else can I ask for?

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by flossyglam

This color, described on Sephora's website as "satin bright orange" is pretty accurate. Sitting in the tube on the shelf the lipstick looks noticeably tangerine in a sea of otherwise standard reds, pinks, and burgundies.

Bright orange as a lip color sounds heinous to a lot of people. But let me tell you, this is magic. Quite simply, #40 when layered with hot pink gloss on top is fiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaah!

I work at Sephora and every time I wear this combination WITHOUT FAIL clients beg me to tell them what I have on. Many of them are surprised to find out it's orange and not in fact red, but that doesn't deter them from RUNNING to the Make Up Forever gondola to try it on themselves!

I may get a discount for being an employee but that doesn't stop me from being El Cheapo. $19 is expensive, but when you compare it to other lipsticks Sephora carries, it's actually on the lower end of the scale.

A few qualities that make the price tag justifiable;
-the amount of pigment is awesome. I only need to put it on once and go! No layering, no half-assing.
-the staying power is phenomenal. Obviously lipstick will always look better with a touch up after eating or drinking, but if I'm in a rush I don't even bother and it still looks neat and bright
-a little drying, but no where near as drying as other lipsticks (looking at you, MAC) and when you consider the pigment and longevity, it's totally doable
-the color: not many lines carry bright orange!

Some things to consider:
-I recommend using a lip liner with this product, otherwise after a few hours it will creep into every fine line you didn't know you had!
-MUFE packaging is not sexy :(
-in a perfect world this would hydrate like lip balm while retaining all the positive qualities, but I guess that's asking for too much
-I have warm/yellow/olive undertones and although I can get quite dark with sun exposure, I am fairly light these days (usually around the lightest or second lightest warm foundation shade in a line)