November 22, 2014 | 1916 users online

Polishes - Barielle - Elle's Spell

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by butterflyashes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I didn't even know this was sold at Ulta until I read the reviews here; I got mine (along with Falling Star) on a Hautelook sale. This is a great yellow/orange/green flakie polish in a red jelly base. I like the layering ideas in other reviews but I actually like wearing this on its own. 3 coats gives me a pretty, chip-resistant jelly finish (layering it over black is gorgeous but too vampy on my pale skin). Unlike my Nubar 2010 the flakies are pretty evenly distributed so I don't have to go back into the bottle every time to drag out more.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Aliakatt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this polish! It is a lovely sheer red polish with gorgeous flakies in it. This polish goes on wonderfully. The consistency is perfect. This is great over another polish, or on its own. You will need several coats to get it opaque.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by jess1973

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of my favorite nail polishes. It looks good on its own and is great for layering.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2011 3:00:00 PM More reviews by hodgam8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Beautiful flakie polish! Like everyone else said these are red/green/gold/orange flakes in a red base. It does take 3 or 4 coats to be opaque on the nail, but it also looks beautiful layered. I love it over China Glaze Ruby Pumps and I think any dark-ish color would be beautiful under it. Definitely worth getting if you can still find it

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by jenniphifer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this on a whim (Ulta Clearance section) and OMG it is gorgeous. In the store I thought it look like red flakies in a black base. I got home and it's actually flakies in a red jelly base. I wore it over black today, but it would look great over red or even a dark purple. I wore this all day today and it is just stunning. The flakies look red most of the time, but when they catch the light they flash gold, green, and orange.
Application was great. On it's own it's about 3 coats to decent coverage (still on the sheer side). I think this would work better over another color as a top coat. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by lilmissyblee1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the first flaky polish I've owned, not without trying though, after missing SHHT and the like. I got this on clearance @ Ulta for 3 bucks. I'm floored with this! Addicted to it over black. If I never wear it any other way this would still be perfect. I wonder why flaky polishes are so hard to find? This is gorgeous! Hope to find backups but unfortunately I guess this was LE. Boo. Gonna try it over Space Cadet like the previous reviewer. Love.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 3:19:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I missed out on the whole Sally Hansen Hidden Treasures flakies craze, much to my sadness. I canít say that I felt Elleís Spell would be a comparable replacement as itís a red jelly and all, but tracked one down and decided to give it a go.
Now Elleís Spell is really pretty in the bottle Ė it looks almost vamp-red-like with tons of opalescent tiny flakes that reflect gold and green. On itís own Ė itís more of a super sheer cherry and the flakes arenít quite as vibrant unless you happen to be in direct sunlight. What gives?
Well I guess Barielle kind of had to make this one sheer so the flakes could shine through. The bottle color is misleading because of course the sheer formula is compacted into a tiny space so it appears vibrant and color-dense.
Anyway, Iíve found that Elleís Spell works best layered over dark colors. Then there is a stark background for the flakes to contrast against and BAM Ė the opalescent color-changing flakes can really reach their full potential. Granted the cherry tint of the base will alter the color of your base polish and the flakes do naturally look like a deep cherry Ė but I adore Elleís Spell over purples. And over Orly Space Cadet . . . WHOAH.
I don't know how I feel about the packaging. The thick glass bottom of the square bottle is kind of elegant in a strange way, but the skinny thin plastic cap is kind of "meh." I know Barielle hasn't achieved the adoration that OPI and others have, but I dunno, looks so generic and drugstore (I ain't hating! I love drugstore polishes!).
So I definitely love Elleís Spell, but I think a lot of that has to do with novelty since I have no other flakies . . . yet. Nonetheless, this is a fairly unique nail color and it really does yield beautiful results over dark polishes.
Sadly this one was limited edition, but I think it's currently being clearanced out at Ulta's? I believe it retailed for around $6 or $7 - which isn't bad at all considering I just use this as a topper. It will last forever . . . thank goodness!