September 15, 2014 | 956 users online

Hair - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Oil Hair Serum

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2014 1:50:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Despite a lot of poor reviews on this board, I still went ahead with my purchase. Yes, it is sticky and weigh your hair down and cost so much $$$....not worth it. Using castor oil as a hair conditioner occasionally has done wonders to my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 10:14:00 AM More reviews by DaniellaD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The most amazing argon oil for hair! I don't know why this argon oil is superior to every other one on the market - it just is. It's $32 for a bottle that will last you months and months. I use it on my ends and it just brings my hair to life. A friend of mine with ethnic hair got a bad relaxer that burned her hair so bad. I told her to try this product and she was amazed at the results. I'm on my third bottle in two year - and my hair is long, long. It's not heavy or greasy at all. You can use before your dry or after or both and not worry about the greasies (just avoid getting to close to the scalp.) Just use two pumps for my hair - mid shaft to ends. Love, love, love!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 7:37:00 PM More reviews by used2Baileendq

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So here's the deal: The product ITSELF (pure argan oil) is a holy grail for me, especially in the winter.

I have VERY dry skin and I use this stuff every morning and night and my face and hair.

HOWEVER (and this is HUGE)- WHO in their right mind would EVER pay $40 for THE SAME EXACT product you can get for 1/4 the price from places like Vitacost? I mean, I like Maran's stuff, but does she think WE are "morans" (lol) for paying FOUR TIMES as much just because she slaps a label with her name on it? LOL NOT

And just to be clear, I actually have the JM version and a Vitacost version and they are one and the same. In fact, the Vitacost one is less than 1/4 the price. I got the travel-sized version as a gift (I already had the Vitacost version) and compared the two. I'm keeping the JM version so I can throw it in my purse in the winter. I'll just refill it with my Vitacost version when it runs out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by wonderbuy

I found this to be neither an effective treatment nor a styling product. I just can't see any difference, smells great feels great but doesn't make any great difference. I'm back to Macadamia oil, which is miles ahead. Also anything in the organix range is better too and more cost effective. I have straight stubborn hair that hangs like a curtain so i don't have that much frizz.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 3:44:00 AM More reviews by nd1282

Love this hair serum!

It leaves my dry, wavy, thick, and frizzy mid-length hair soft, silky, and smooth.

Two pumps is all I need, which makes it quite economical.

Will definitely repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm struggling to find anything nice to say about this. Probably the only thing nice about this is the smell but there are tons of hair products that smell nice and do a somewhat decent job. This is a big, expensive FAIL which I can't return as the Sephora in my country doesn't accept returns.

I have very long and fine hair. My hair is way past my waist. Being so long, it tangles easily and needs a lot of serums and whatnot even after conditioning because it is dry at the ends. I tried using around 1.5 pumps and rubbed it into towel-dried hair, starting from the mid-section of my hair. Apparently that was too much because the mid-section of my hair got greasy while the ends remained like straw.

Fine. So I used half a pump and rubbed it into the ends only. I might as well have rubbed scented water into my hair because my hair was still tangled. I used this for 2 weeks straight every day. I live in a humid place and I need to wash my hair daily because I have an oily scalp. I saw NO effect on my hair, absolutely - which leads me to conclude that this is a total waste of money. I am not even particular about my serums having long term benefits. As long as they detangle my hair after a wash, I am satisfied. But this is just.. useless.

I can recommend better products that have worked for me:
Budget: John Freida Full Repair / Frizz-Ease
High end: Kerastase Elixir Ultime (Moringa Immortel) serum

The Kerastase one is cheaper than this per ml and works 1000 times better. I also love the John Frieda ones even though they are loaded with silicones. At least I can comb my hair without losing strands from the tangles. Just save your money for better products, do not buy this!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by goldenfae

While this didn't make my fine hair greasy or weighted down the day I put it in (the day after may be slightly more greasy than if I used something else), it also did absolutely nothing for me.

I have fine asian hair and lots of it and can typically get away with not conditioning in the shower even though I have highlights. After using this after every wash for a month, my hair is much drier and less glossy. Normally, with or even without a leave in serum (or moisturizer if I don't have anything else on hand), my hair is extremely glossy and reflective. Now, it looks duller. And my ends actually feel crunchy. It does still work to detangle but does nothing for actually conditioning.

I usually only pump of about a dewdrop size into wet hair and then another of the same size concentrating on the ends. Like with many other serums, 1 full pump will definitely make me greasy. Plus side is if I put the semi dried mess into a bun or braids, it will actually hold a wave after it dries all day when usually my hair reverts back to straight in an hour. Also the serum smells fantastic. Too bad it doesn't do what it says it should.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 10:02:00 AM More reviews by TaniaRides

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Using even a small amount of this hair serum turns my hair into a weighed down, heavy, greasy mess. I have fine hair, but lots of it, and it turns unbearably oily if I don't wash it every day. My hair looks great when I use the Fekkai glossing cream or, even better, the Fekkai sheer shine mist. Those are really the only two products I've ever found that make my hair look smooth and shiny, but not greasy or weighed down.

This argan oil hair serum is similar to most of the 'cone heavy styling products I've tried. My hair looks okay for about the first half hour that this is in and then rapidly flattens and turns oily and greasy looking. It makes me look like I haven't washed my hair in days, almost a so greasy it's wet look. Then my scalp starts itching.

This just doesn't work for me at all. Definitely in the 'hate it' category for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Luna73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Pros: This did a good job of giving my fine, somewhat dry hair a nice shine and reducing frizz.

Cons: It doesn't work any better than any number of drug store products and/or more reasonably priced higher-end options you'd see at Sephora or Ulta. For the price, I expected to see much more of a result.

Packaging is awful. I had no dropper so I had to pour it into my hand and then fuss with my hair for a few minutes to try and make sure it was evenly applied -- and if you accidentally use too much it will make your hair look greasy and limp.

Bottom line: In my opinion, there are equally good options for a fraction of the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by MES

I have fine dry hair that just tend to look a mess without some sort of smoothing treatment, keratin, or argan oil. I love this, it makes my hair so soft and shiny. I put a few drops in the palm of my hand, rub them together to warm it up and apply to my hair. I have used this both air drying my hair and with a hair dryer and have gotten great results either way. Despite being fine, I found that this doesn't weigh my hair down.