April 19, 2014 | 1976 users online

Powder - Almay - Wake Up Hydrating Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2013 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Pruexy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

At the first minute trying on, I absolutely adored it. Extremely fine powder, not caked at all, which really surprise me, since so many powder foundations have such problem on my face (except Armani so far). And cool, hydrated feeling is quite good as well. And it won't look dry and powdery even put on more.

But after a few seconds, I realized: what, there is no coverage~ Not so much improvement either after I apply so much on my face. Damn, I don't need another loose powder~

Even most of my cosmetic purchases are cheaper and cheaper, I insist to invest in base products as I won't risk at my base: a lousy base ruins everything. Again, I guess I am right.

Still, I hope I can love it as it's perfect except overage. But since it has such a big defect to me, I won't buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2013 3:37:00 AM More reviews by veelui

did they stop making this? i love the cool feeling, I turn to this when i have to wake up super early and the feeling makes my skin feel good, but the brush is too small and idk how to clean it and have it dry completely

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 1:05:00 PM More reviews by Snosand

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have rosacea skin which is focused on my nose and the cheek area next to the nose. I have enlarged pores, dryness and oiliness. I used Bare Escentuals for over a decade but it started raising up on my nose. So the rest of my face would look normal but after a few hours the BE foundation would look like it was floating on my nose. I tried other mineral foundation and they all did the same thing.
On a whim I bought the Wake Up make up. This works really well to keep me looking natural. There is not tons of coverage but I've found heavy coverage with my skin just looks funky later as the oil starts to produce. I would rather have a natural look than have everything look fake.

At first the cooling feeling threw me off. I use a kabuki brush and I thought my brush was wet. The feeling now refreshes me.

I found that the colors run a little beige. Every color to me had lots of beige except the lightest color which is what I use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by Tayla91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is my favourite mineral makeup and I have not stopped using it since I first discovered it. It hydrates my skin and has a natural, glowy look that I love. I prefer to use a larger brush though, as the small one does not do the job adequately. Though it is a light foundation, I find the coverage to be excellent. If you like mineral powder I highly recommend this product, it is one of the best I have found.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by hokstr88

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This may be the strangest design of any makeup I've seen. I find it is OK for light coverage, such as over BB cream, but not by itself as it will highlight any dry patches on the skin. The feeling of it on skin is cool and weird at the same time, kinda damp feeling.I find it a bit overpriced, (being a broke teenager and what not) considering the overall quality of the product.I find that there is NO ROOM to swirl a nice big brush anywheres in the packaging, as most loose powder containers do. The tiny brush on the lid? Garbage. I simply leave it there to keep the shape of the package consistent.Consdidering that the product was recently discontinued, I guess Almay finally realized that they needed better products.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 1:25:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Note to self, whenever you see Almay anything on clearance...abort mission. I'm still kind of confused how this line stays in business... almost everything I have ever tried from it is utter crap, this makeup no exception. The only cool part was the cooling wet feeling... there was another product back in the day that had that... I think some kind of Physicians Formula powder. Anyways... it didn't cover anything, it didn't hydrate (because powder can't really hydrate anyways), and it was a sparkly mess. Not even glowy. Just straight up sparkle. I used it a couple times and tossed it in the trash... might as well just ripped up a $5 bill, same difference.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 6:09:00 AM More reviews by LeMaki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this as it was on sale and I was looking for a powder foundation that would not dry out my skin too much. My skin is very dry but I don't like the heavy coverage of liquid for everyday wear, so this seemed like it would be the perfect compromise.

Pros: not too expensive, good light coverage, blends well, is hydrating, colour matches my very pale skin, lots in the container.

Cons: the feel is hard to get used to (feels wet and cold, leaving my brush a little damp), the brush at the top is useless (use a proper powder brush instead), the container lid doesn't leave room to swirl the brush around in.

Overall, this is a perfectly adequate powder foundation that does the job. I wouldn't buy it full price, but if it was on special I would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by rachel03

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It makes my skin look great! Unless it's dry, in which case it can make me look patchy but pretty much any mineral makeup will do that on dry skin. It makes me look glowy and I like the fact that it comes with a brush, which is weird because I don't usually like the brushes that come with products but this one was super soft. It has light-medium coverage, which is good because I generally don't like high coverage products. The only thing that gets to me is the packaging. I like that it's loose powder, but when you tip the container over to get to some of the makeup, it dispenses a lot! Which can be annoying and wasteful but other than that, great powder!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2012 4:17:00 AM More reviews by clp53

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very weird product, feels like your face is wet (wakes you up I guess?) uncomfortable. But it's a decent product. I like almay because my skin doesn't break out with it . Wouldn't buy again because a cold and wet face in morning really sucks

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2012 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this for free as part of a Almay prize package I won. So I didn't get to chose the shadeI got, which is Naked. It's one shade too light for my skin, but since it's winter now and it's normal to look paler, plus the coverage is so sheer, I can still use it. I use a Tarte bronzer for contouring after.
I think this would be classified as light or sheer coverage. I don't have much to cover up, just some slight redness across my nose, cheeks and chin, This does an ok job, covering by blurring instead of masking your skin. it definitely doesn't leave you looking like you're wearing makeup, which I love.
The "cool" effect is different, at first I didn't realize it was supposed to feel like that and thought I had got the brush wet somehow lol. But I actually like the feeling. For someone with sensitive skin, I like the soothing feeling of coolness on my redness. One MUA member mentioned the cooling is due to the brush, but it's not. It's the formula. It feels the same even when I use my own brushes with it. Oh and speaking of brush, the one it comes with is actually not that bad. I find it allows for heavier coverage than when I use my own powder brush with it.
The formula is loose powder, which I'm normally not a fan off because I feel like you have less control of how much you use and end up wasting instead. But it was free, so hey, can't complain I guess.
It does feel hydrating, which is great for the winter months, plus it's got a light SPF in it, which I like as well. It lasts fine, and keeps my skin feeling hydrated without the oily sheen.
I don't notice much sparkly or shimmer to it as other members pointed out, so maybe it varies??? For me, its the lightest shimmer undertone. Not anything remotely sparkly or cheap looking. I'm not a fan of sparkle on my face believe me. Even my bronzers are matte.
Overall I like this. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin or break me out. I wouldn't repurchase because I don't like loose powder. But I would recommend this to anyone who does.