RCMA Color Process Foundation

4.3

Ingredients: IPM (Isopropyl Myristate), Castor Oil, Carnauba, Candelilla, Ozokerite, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, propyl Paraben, BHT. May Contain: D&C Red #6, D&C Red #7, D&C Red #27, Cos.Green, Cos. Blue.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have been using this foundation for a couple of weeks now and I am in love. It is the most natural-looking foundation I've ever used. I think this is because this product is so pigmented that only a tiny bit is needed and therefore you don't see product on the skin; you just see skin. Having said that, it's probably not for everyone because it requires learning how to use it and having the time to apply and blend it properly. Also, because this product is basically wax, oils and pigments, it may not be good for acne-prone skin. I have not had a single problem with blemishes since using this, but I do two things to prevent problems:
1. I always use makeup remover before cleansing at night.
2. I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid exfoliant (N/A) to keep my pores clear and clean.

There are a couple of really good videos on YT to help learn how to apply this:

(N/A)

(N/A)

In these videos, it talks about having to warm up this product before applying and I couldn't agree more. As someone below noted, the consistency is like butter that's been in the fridge. One trick I learned is that if you stir it with a toothpick, it will soften a bit and be easier to spread. I use a metal spatula to scoop up some product, place it on the back of my hand and then spread it over my face with my fingers. I then blend it in with Sonia Kashuk's flat-top brush, but a foundation brush would probably be fine too. If there are areas where I can see foundation sitting on top of the skin, I use a damp RT sponge to press it into the skin and I honestly don't think most people could tell I have foundation on. My skin is fairly clear (though I do have age spots) but you could certainly spot conceal with this foundation and it would still look very natural.

After finishing with my foundation, I apply any other cream products I'm going to wear and the RCMA foundation plus my flat-top brush helps everything to blend seamlessly, especially concealer and cream blush. I then apply the RCMA No-Color powder to set it and it stays on all day. I will say that I haven't yet had an opportunity to test it in hot, humid weather, but I will update when I can.

From what I can tell, this No-Color powder is just very finely milled talc, so it's not especially unique other than not giving any color or coverage. The RCMA itself gives a satin finish and when I add the powder, it gives a soft matte appearance. I don't find it to be chalky, but I use a very light dusting and then use a clean brush to knock off any excess powder.

As to finding a color match, this is also tricky business if you have to order online. I called RCMA for samples, because it's a little less expensive than Camera Ready Cosmetics. RCMA charges $1.00 per sample and then $3 for shipping. I order four samples, so that came to $7.00. When I called RCMA to order them, I told them that I wore Porcelain in Bobbi Brown foundations and wondered if I could find a match in the KA-series, because they are for light skin tones that are slightly yellow. She asked me to hold and consulted with their makeup artist. When she came back on the line, she said that I could definitely find a match with these. I ordered KA-1, KA-2, KA-3 and KA-4. KA-3 turned out to be my perfect match -- it's ever-so-slightly less yellow and more peachy than Bobbi Brown. I also ordered KA-4 for when I get a little darker in summer (despite wearing SS faithfully).

I feel this is a very good value, because if you can buy the one ounce size (around $30.00, I believe), this is going to last a very, very long time. It wouldn't surprise me if it lasted two or more years. I tried this product because I had been using the Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick and really liked it, but in six months I had almost used it up and and it's $46.00! The consistency of the RCMA foundation is similar to the BB, except it's in a pot instead of a stick. The packaging is not fancy - it's just a plastic white pot with a clear screw-on lid, but personally, I'd rather pay less and get loads more product for my money than have a fancy jar.

I feel like I have found my HG foundation and I have never said that before. I can always tell when I've found a HG product because I'm no longer looking for that perfect product -- I've found it!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this and cinema secrets samples. Upon application, I loved this! It's so creamy and has the perfect velvet like skin finish. The color is spot on for my ultra pale skin. Lasting power is better than most cream foundations. Coverage is amazing. This is highly pigmented and you only need a tiny tiny bit. However, it breaks me out BAD. I've had the sample for over a year and I am an idiot and keep trying to use it (praying that my breakouts were hormonal or from some other product).....NOPE. It's this. Bummer. I mix it with L'Oreal illuminating primer and use it as under-eye concealer. Don't use this if you have sensitive skin and are prone to breakouts.

3 Stars for the redeemable qualities.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

*Sigh*

I'm heatbroken.

I have extremely difficult skin. It is fair, acne-prone, super sensitive, and it is dry. Dry dry dry. I have a very gentle face wash, I use the aqua gel, I exfoliate 3 times a week, I do moisturizing face washes, and I use lotion. I even top it with a moisturizing primer. My face will be baby soft, but the second foundation hits it, it flakes. Go figure.

I have only found one or two foundations that work well with my dry skin, but they are hardly ever my skin shade. I have the Maybeline Fit Me foundation and it is relatively dry-skin friendly, but even their lightest is still a little too dark. It's manageable, but you can still tell in natural light. I even bought Manic Panic's lightener to help with the skin tone. But when I mixed it with the foundation, it was no longer dry skin friendly. Of course not.

I found RCMA on Wayne Goss's youtube channel, and I had so much hope. SO much. I even came on here and read all the wonderful reviews about this foundation; even reviews made by others with dry skin.

I bought the 5-color palette; I don't trust myself to pick the right color online, so I figured I would get the 5 colors, find my forte, and then buy that from now on. Something that I could customize, something that was all-natural for my sensitive skin, AND something that was approved by other dry-skinners? That's the fastest I've ever spent 30 bucks!

I anxiously await it. It arrives. I pummel the UPS guy with my excitement and just about bounce it out of his hand. It arrives in the most ADORABLE packaging I could imagine. This is perfect, the anticipation is killing me! I make sure to wash my face, exfoliate, and prep my face as usual. I had watched countless tutorials while I waited, and I figured I had this down.

I scoop it onto the back of my hand-and warm it up with my finger.
Then I put it on-my skin becomes a flaky, patchy mess. The makeup isn't blending at all. If anything, this was worse than other foundations I've put on my face. I sat in front of the mirror and cried, begging to the beauty gods to end this curse they've bestowed upon me.
The rest of the world is falling in love with this product, and here I am with smeared mascara running down my face because even the world's most adored natural foundation could not help me.

I still gave it four stars though, because it isn't the makeup's fault. It's mine.
If your face isn't ridiculously impractical, buy it. I'm sure you won't regret it.

I am not going to give up on this yet, I WILL find a way to make this foundation work.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Great!

This is my holy grail of foundation. I wish I had known about it years ago. It's designed for professional makeup artists for use on actors and models, so it's not marketed to the public. I found out about it on YouTube. (Thank you, Wayne Goss). The reason it's so remarkable is because it looks and feels like skin-only better! This is a highly pigmented cream foundation which is vegetable oil and wax based. It contains no mineral oil, lanolin, tallow or other animal products. It's vegan, fragrance, and cruelty free. It's also 50 percent pigment, so a little goes a very long way. The color is much more intense in the pan than it looks on skin. When I first tested it, I only had to use the barest smear on the tip of my finger to cover one whole cheek. I tested it in bright sunlight and the effect was like a radiant natural glow--luminous but not shiny.

The color range is extensive, so it's particularly good for people of color, paler than average, or anyone who is in between shades and has a hard time finding a match. You can get samples online directly from RCMA' s website or Camera Ready Cosmetics. Also, if you live in NY, Alcone is a reseller where you can get color matched. I recommend checking out RCMA' s website or The Unknown Beauty Blog's guide to RCMA foundations for explanations and swatches of the different color series.

This foundation will hold up for hours without a touch-up because it contains a lot less liquid, wax and oil than commercial brands. Don't worry about using this cream base if you have oily skin. It's vegetable based and you will only need such a small amount that it is very unlikely to clog pores.

You can check out tutorials on YouTube to see how to blend and apply the product. It can be sheered out if desired. RCMA makes an oil based thinner, but any oil you have on hand, applied with an eye dropper, will do. You also don't need a professional mixing palette. You can use a square of wax paper on a hard surface, or even mix it on the back of your hand. I recommend using a spatula to dispense a tiny amount. (You can get a cheap one at the drugstore). You can use your fingers, but it might be awkward since this foundation has the consistency of cold butter. It definitely needs to be warmed against skin for at least a few seconds if you use it without adding a drop or two of oil. I find a beauty blender makes blending much easier either way. If you don't have the the time or patience to mix your foundation every day, you can take a shortcut by mixing it in a small re-sealable jar. (Like the ones you find in travel kits at the drugstore.) It is super easy to blend and apply. It doesn't take as much time as you might think.

I am very impressed with this foundation and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is reasonably priced for the quality you get. (More expensive than drugstore brands but a lot less expensive than high end department store brands--especially considering that you use less.) Once you try it, you will never go back to commercial brands again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is the best foundation I have ever used - but it does take some time to master.

First you have to warm it up with your finger - I scrape some out into the lid and rub my finger into it to warm it up. I rub whats on my finger onto the end of a thick soft bristled foundation brush - I brush this onto my face. I then lightly dab the brush into the lid and apply in a dabbing, slight brushing motion. This method works for me - it go's on even and doesn't end up cakey. It also doesn't waste the product.

This foundation covers my redness, broken veins and pigmentation - but its hard to get good coverage on angry red acne (as it wont stick) and dry skin. I have also noticed that it doesn't clog my pores and actually makes them look smaller..,YAY!!

This foundation looks good all day which is amazing because my skin is quite oily. I only have to touch up once during the day by wiping the foundation off my nose, chin and forehead with makeup removal wipes and reapplying the foundation to these areas. I don't powder because I find it looks cakey. If you want the foundation to last longer setting spray works great over this makeup! I use Kryolan fixier spray - see my review.

The only down side to this foundation is that it can settle into the fine lines around my eyes, so I apply lightly to this area.

Overall this is the most natural looking foundation I have ever used and provides great coverage and value for money as you only need to use the smallest amount.

Will definitely be buying again!

I use the KO 2 which is a light medium beige color

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

2nd UPDATE:

Downgraded to 3 lippies again!
Turns out this product was clogging my pores like crazy and was making my acne worse while I was trying to conceal it.
Too many waxes and oils! I thought since I was using so little and spreading it so thin, the oils and waxes wouldn't congest my skin, but they did.
So it's a bust for me as a daily/regular product.
However I'll probably use what I have left it on occasion on a night out, it is still a beautiful foundation.

1st UPDATE:
Upgraded to 5 lippies but WITH A MAJOR CAVEAT : this foundation performs to perfection once you know how to apply it, which takes way more time,steps and tools than the average person has time for every day.

This foundation is truly perfection, so it deserves a 5.
BUT for everyday women/men who are looking for a daily foundation : it takes so much time to apply properly, it's not fit to be a go-to daily foundation for most of us.

I now know how to apply, blend, buff, C&H with the foundation. It took me a few weeks to get a handle on the tools, the quantity and the method to achieve this.
When I take the time, this foundation is gorgeous, lightweight, long wearing, everything. It is perfection.

But it just takes too much time and too many steps to get it done from start to finish. About an hour, multiple brushes, a beauty blender... That's way more than I'm willing to do every day!

For a special event, a night out though, it will outperform anything else.

-------------------------------------OLD REVIEW--------------------------------------------------------
GREAT for photos - NOT GREAT irl

This foundation is lightweight, highly pigmented, buildable, and not irritating for my skin. It feels amazingly comfortable when I put it on.
Application is a learning curve.

Once you have even the sheerest layer or this on, you will look phenomenal on camera and in photographs, it's amazing what this foundation does. I have never seen anything quite like it. It is truly shocking.

However, in real life, as in 'when you look at yourself in the mirror up close', it's a different story.
However little you are wearing (and I wear maybe three grains of rice worth of it!), the pigment will settle in any little imperfection of your face, making it more obvious. Flaky parts of your face, dry skin areas, pores… Unless your skin is flawless and painstakingly prepped, it will look messy. And even in areas where your skin is flawless, the pigment simply shows.
On me it also gets SHINY so fast, even with a setting powder. This is just my skin & product combo though, it might not happen to you.

So, my conclusion is : this is professional makeup geared at photography and screen, so it's great for an event where you want your picture taken, but sorry, it's not great for an everyday fresh-face look.
You will look fresh faced and gorgeous on photos, just not in real life.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have to say the reviews regarding color are a tad misleading. I thought the Shinto range would be obviously more yellow/olive but it's really not.
It's VERY subtle so it may not be olive or yellow enough for some people.
I posted swatches. I will note that KO-3 is more yellow than SH-1(this shade looks kind of neutral compared to these other ones), KO-4 is a tad less yellow/a tad neautral/peachy compared to Sh-2. Then KO-5 looks a tad yellow/olive compared to SH-3
It's quite confusing and I'd really suggest getting samples but I'm assuming the peachy tone comes out more in the KO range once you set it. I'm assuming the SH range will become a tad more yellow/olive as you set it too.
Keep in mind that the Shinto range starts off in the middle whereas the KO range has lighter shades so KO-1 isn't equivalent in depth to SH-1. I'd say SH-1 is closer to KO-3. SH-1 being just a tad lighter. And then it goes up for both from there.

I'm an NC30-35 and find that I actually match better to the C30-35 due to my olive tones.
I feel I can pull off KO-4 and SH-2.
KO-4 ended up getting a tad peachy so it may be better for an NC30-35.
I think SH-2 is the best match for me. (I also use #123 in MUFE for reference)

I was under the impression that is need to warm up this foundation on the back of my hand but I really didn't need to. It was quite creamy which surprised me. I was expecting a harder consistency which I would assume would work better on my oily skin.
I find it works great throughout the day when I use the baking method.
If I just dust a light layer of powder I end up looking shiny(this may have to do with my oily skin or the fact I use retinal and it just makes my skin shiny but not oily I noticed I'll still have that shine even when I'm not oily)
I like how this photographs beautifully and really does look like second skin which I love.
I'll have to use it more to see how I like it. So far so good

I'd also like to mention that this stuff is really quite... Forgiving? With the fact that it's quite opaque I'd assume it'd be mask-like(I think other brands use a lot of white base like titanium dioxide or something) and you'd HAVE to have a perfect match otherwise it'd be obvious.
I don't find that with this foundation.
Despite it being quite pigmented, it's very forgiving when it comes to color unless you're like me who is more yellow/olive than the average person(due to thinner skin and the tone of my veins sort of alters my overall skin tone) but again, it's quite forgiving and a very good match I've been noticing it does look better after its been on for a few minutes, it'll match perfectly

I'd say the shades go up quite gradually and that could be another factor so I'm sur you could find a couple of shades that will work for you.
I'd say this is quite similar to the MUFE HD foundation just more pigmented and a different formula(cream instead of liquid)
I honesty like this better just because I find it to be more forgiving than the HD foundation and I'm not so crazy about the silicone base during warmer months cause it would just melt off.

KO range is neutral-peach/yellow. If you're neutral or in the NC range this would work for you.
SH range is a tad less neutral and for more yellow and can lean a tad greenish depending on the color and works great for this with a true olive undertone. The C range in MAC.
KL range is for those with a peach undertone, that sort of honey colored skin.
OL(olive) range is for pink undertones.
KT range is for peachy-pink skin.
I think there are more ranges but I haven't really looked into the undertones and such

Update: it's now November 7th been using this for a bit and honestly, so far. Despite claiming its 50% pigment I don't find that this is all that great for oily skin.
I noticed that I'm constantly having to blot and powder no matter how little product I use.
And I will note the claim that you only need a tiny amount to cover? It's kind of true, if you want a light-medium coverage. You'll need a bit more for full coverage but not nearly as much as a liquid that needs 2 pumps or more.
Now, I've been using SH-2 for a bit and even with banana powder, it's TOO PINK
It looks okay in pics but in person my cousins noticed my makeup looked pink on me.
I think they should make a true yellow-olive shade. I believe the green tint to my skin makes the pink standout more but I'm still very yellow

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Update:
08/15/15 - This foundation broke me out so bad. I used the foundation and concealer only couple of day and I got few white head on the side of my nose and couple of painful cystic acne on my chin...arrrgggg. Im so mad right now. I wanted this to work so bad :(

I'm still on the learning curve on this foundation but getting there. I'm 203 duo mat and 125 HD on MUFE and I match between shinto 1&2. Trying to match color was a pain but I used findation and it helped a lot. This foundation can cover from sheer to full depends on how you apply it. I apply 2 extra thin layers and it covers most of the acne scars and dark spots but dark circles still need concealer. This foundation does give the semi-mat/satin/dewie/skin look. Not oily at all. I didn't bother to set it with powder or using primer before putting this on and I have oily skin and live in texas. Actually I have to moisturize the heck out of my face because without it my face feels very tight...weird. Usually I put on vitamin c serum, neck cream, eye cream, gel moisturizer, sunblock then foundation, but with this foundation I have to use thick lotion, very close to cream instead of gel moisturizer, other than that everything stay the same. To remove this I use the makeup removal wipe to remove the bulk of it first then use the double cleansing to remove the rest of it. Guess it's triple cleansing then :)

Pros: won't stain clothes, glasses...etc, affordable, stay in place until i remove it, not hard to work with when i get the hang of it, easy to travel with esp the 5 color palette.
Cons: hard to match the color, have to order online and need extra step to remove it.

I'm not sure I'll order again because it will take very long time to finish this pot n the samples n the 5 colors palette. I'll probably be bored by then and look for something else. Overall it's a very good foundation but need a little patient to work with.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Brilliant foundation. Sometimes after a whole day of wearing this foundation I come home and look in the mirror and it breaks my heart having to take it off because it still looks perfect! Once you get used to the application process the coverage, longevity and feel of this foundation on your skin is incredible. You can build up to any coverage that you like which is what I love. After I warm this foundation up on my hand I use a buffing foundation brush or my beauty blender with a sprtiz of Fix+ and it applies like a dream. I do have dry skin so I tend to shy away from powdering all the time but the great thing about this foundation is I can use a heavy hand with my powder and make the look flawless and it absorbs really nicely.

I have dry and sensitive skin that reacts really well to this formula. The texture is difficult to describe, it is certainly not waxy and it applies really smoothly. I certainly suggest ordering samples or buying more than one shade as it is difficult to choose the correct shade online. I purchased a few of these in different shades so that I can match my skin tone whether I am tanned or pale.

Video Reviews & Tutorials