October 26, 2014 | 861 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 36 Smokey Eyeshadow Palette

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by screamstyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It is my first coastal scents product.to be honest i was not expecting much as it is made in china and the price is superrr cheap.but decided to try it out anyways coz the color spectrum looked yum! And im GlAd that i tried.i wont say the shadows are of super duper quality but these are good...like other brands some of the shadows might take time to build up but end of the makeup it does give awesome smokeys every time and man they stay and dont smudge at all!! Btw i have used paint pot under the shadows as a primer..so thumbs up!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 10:36:00 AM More reviews by joyonicity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Before I get into the actual product, I'd like to say Coastal Scents has great customer service and fast shipping. On Sunday, I emailed customer service a few questions about the palettes and got a response within an hour. On Monday evening, I put in my order. On Tuesday, it was shipping, and on Thursday I received it! The only complaint I have is the shipping price (about $8) which made the palette I got on sale nearly as expensive as it would've been full-price, and it came in a MASSIVE package - like, 2 feet by 6 inches filled with bubble wrap. Then again, who doesn't love bubble wrap? I guess I have to appreciate how much effort they put into preventing the makeup from breaking too.

Anyway, I was really excited to get this palette in the mail because this is my first one with any bright colors. I was debating whether to get this or the creative me #1 palette, which is full of vibrant colors, and I'm glad I got this since most of the colors on creative me are similar to ones included with this one. The low price meant I didn't have high expectations for the shadow quality, so I wasn't surprised when some of them were chalky - most of the mattes are a little chalky and have some fallout. A decent shadow primer solves that problem though. I was pleasantly surprised that the more low-key colors, which I would be using the most no doubt, were all pigmented and smooth, almost creamy. The coral-based smokey set (top left corner), for example, goes on true to color without a primer. Unfortunately I can't really see the matte colors going on smoothly or lasting all day without a primer, but if I wear shadow I always wear primer anyway.

I also love how the palette is essentially 6 small palettes that can each create a different color-based smokey look. Like I said, I generally prefer neutrals, so I won't be using the brighter ones that often, but it's nice to have them on hand.

Biggest complaint: yo, what's up with the ugly ass font Coastal Scents uses? The palette packaging would be acceptable - looks like a cheaper version of the sleek black cases MAC uses - if it weren't for the font. Doesn't impact the product itself though. I don't know why this bothers me so much.

I'd probably repurchase for the great value and diversity. Quality ranges from dependent on the finish of the shadow. Overall I'd give it a 7/10, rounding up to 4/5 here.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by lilblue10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

So i went on a trip all around Canada for 2 months last summer, the only thing i had was a big bagpack cause i was hitchhiking ( i know i know its dangerous haha ). At first i was like im not gonna bring any makeup that would be stupid i dont need it and dont have space for it, but im makeup junkie i couldnt help so i decided to bring only one thing eyeshadow related and this was perfect ! its really small, it has a mix of shimmers and matte, it has pretty much every color you could need and its not heavy ! So i would say for travel purpose this is fantastic but for everyday use i've seen better pigmentation and blendability power than this palette

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Donovan

The colors are much more pigmented if shadow is applied wet, but not bad without. I did not experience much fall out, but I use sparingly with each application. It IS chalky, which equals fall out. That's why I apply sparingly, but repeated. Many of the colors are NOT duplicates from the 88 palettes, at least not to my knowledge. I also own the 88 Matte and Metal Mania. I use this palette at least once a week. The low score for the packaging is because it is hard to open (I used tweezers to pop it open), and there is not a mirror in it:(

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2011 10:26:00 AM More reviews by ribqueen

Colour is pretty high pigment for the price. Colours take a bit of layering to go on with a brush: I had to lick my finger and stretch the eyelid to get the colour on after the third layer sometimes (I only needed three layers cuz i like dark, dark makeup).

Makeup does change colour a little after a while if you don't use primer for some colours, but it still looks pretty decent. I've only used the matte colours so far (the glitters are micro and the satin is somewhat subtle), but the dark purple looks really nice with the dark brown (dark brown!) or with a lilac base. I tend to put on dramatic gothy smokey eye and it worked pretty well for my purposes. Great for everyday use, maybe go something a little nicer for fancy-pants stuff.

It doesn't come right off with water, it actually stains your eyelid. You gotta actually use remover to get it off.

There's no mirror, there's a good range of colours: good for people who like using palettes, and layering in different shades of pink, blue, purple, green, brown, or monochrome. I think it's a decent basic. i'd pick this for everyday stuff and a mac for when i want something really nice.

People complained that the case is hard to open, but honestly it's an easy fix. I sandpapered the plastic lock until it opened like normal, and it was fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by zippy7flaca

Im suprised that there is not to many reviews on this palette. This was the first palette that i purchased off of coastalscents. And im quite pleased with it and i love the concept that they put 6 shadows in a group to make it easy to create a look. I find that this palette is pigmented and has a range of colors. The name says it all you can create so many different smokey looks using this palette. You get a good size of product in each eyeshadow pan too. I have enjoyed this palette alot and i would recommend it either to add to your current collection or is your a beginner like i was when i purchased it helps to make it easy to create a look with the concept of the 6 eyeshadow groupings within the 36 shades.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2011 8:11:00 AM More reviews by icu4eva08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to LOVE this palette. In my opinion its just ok. Nothing special about it. The colors are chalky and not as vibrant as they appear. I have to use two bases and pack it on hard. My nyx eyeshadows are of better quality.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by alevalerio1986

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was really excited when I saw this pallet online because the colors looked so vibrant. The shipping was fast but I do have to agree that it was hard to open. As far as the shadows themselves, I was disappointed. Many of them are very chalky and hard to blend and you have to really build them up to get the colors vibrant. The price has pretty reasonable so I'm not too upset but I probably won't be reaching for this pallet much.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2011 3:10:00 AM More reviews by xojennaboo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The packaging was hard to open. There are a very nice variety of colors. Shadows aren't as big as it shows on the website though. Most of the matte shadows are chalky. But I really do like this

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 9:49:00 AM More reviews by slimchicklovesMAC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have really been impressed with Coastal Scents products and they are at such an affordable price, I can buy and not feel guilt or buyers remorse if I really don't love the product. I purchased this palette, b/c I wanted to know if the larger e/s quality was better or worse than the smaller e/s. I found them to be about the same. I still prefer the smaller e/s in the 88 palettes. The 36 palette is okay. It's not awesome, nor is it terrible. The e/s quality and pigmentation vary depending on the shade. A few are buildable and need several pats or applications to see color, which can be good or bad depending on what kind of look you are going for. My favorite section is the one with Satin Taupe dupe, which has the black, silver and white e/s. My next fav is the one above it with the pretty orange e/s. It has a nice Sketch dupe and the colors in that section combine for a nice unique eye look. The others are really not shades I use on a daily basis, but for special occasions or spring/summer weekends I can easily use them.
I would rec this palette for a teenager or someone who likes to experiment with color, but doesn't want to spend $$$$ for yellow, blue, or purple e/s. I would not purchase again simply b/c I doubt that I would every use up all the bright colors and I would buy the 88 warm if I needed more neutrals.