August 30, 2014 | 1642 users online

Eye Primer - Lime Crime - Eyeshadow Helper; Waterproof Eyeshadow Primer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Eriu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thank you, IrynaHarpy for your review! I have the same tearing problem due to having punctal plugs to prevent severe dry eye and I despaired of ever finding a truly waterproof primer that could keep my shadow from crusting up and washing away within 2 hours. I tried so many other so-called HG primers that just couldn't cut it. I took a chance on Lime Crime Eyeshadow Helper and I'm so glad I did. My eyeshadow now lasts 12+ hours and looks as fresh at the end of the day as out did when I first applied it. The formula is thick but creamy and comes out of the tube smoothly. The best way to apply I find is to powder my lids first, then apply a thin layer. As this sets, I do my foundation, bronzer, blush, then powder my lids again before applying eyeshadow. The product has a pale cream/beige sheer appearance which really makes my shadows pop(both matte and shimmer formulas). It does retain a very slight tacky feel so blending is a bit more challenging but not impossible. I simply use several layers of each shade so I can blend the topmost layers while the primer grips the initially applied layer. This really keeps fallout to a minimum (I see none,but I haven't tried it with glitter yet!). At $20 plus $6.95 S&H,I wish it was cheaper but overall the price is on par with other high-end primers. The only negative I have is not with the product but with availability...it is frequently sold out and you have to wait for it to come back in stock. As proof of it's staying power- I squeeze a small amount on the back of my hand before applying and if I have any left there it will stay on my hand all day through frequent hand washing until I use a waterproof makeup remover! I guess I've finally found a HG product after all!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a recent new discovery for me and a good one at that. After trying the Lime Crime Velvetines and their incredible staying power I thought LC may be onto something with this eye primer and it certainly does not disappoint - I find it very comparable to UDPP in consistency and lasting power.

I have normal/combo skin but do get slightly oily eyelids as the day goes on. I find this easy to apply and I'm a fan of the primer tube with nozzle as find you get just the amount of product you need this way and its hygienic.

This easily lasts all day and into the night with powder eye shadows, I recently tested this with a gel shimmer eye shadow I have and after a few hours it had a little creasing.

I must have gone a little crazy purchasing eye primers as I have Lorac, Nars, UDPP and TFSI and TF Glitter Glue to compare this with. It easily outshines Lorac - that was a disappointment for me, Nars is good but you don't get much product for the money, I find Lime Crime a little better than TFSI and equal to UDPP and TF Glitter Glue, so could see this being a future repurchase for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2014 1:15:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very oily 40+ lids and Eyeshadow Helper does significantly help powder/loose mineral eye shadows & eye liners but not cream shadows (for me). It prevents fading, bleeding into a single color, holds back creasing with powder shadows, keeps eye shadows matt rather than turning shiny from oil, all for 8 - 10+ hours depending on the quality of the shadow. 8 hours with indie loose minerals, 10+ with regular pressed shadows.

Another great benefit is that I am very very fair as well as oily, and this means my skin tends to absorb a stain from most shadow and eyeliners that isn't white/cream, leaving me with dark and funny colored shadows around my eyes and a stain that won't wash off for days. I look sick and in need of lots of concealer. Eyeshadow helper creates a protective barrier so all my eyemakeup washes off clean at the end of the day.

Its very thick with a light beige tint and provides good coverage for veins and redness. I'm not sure if it would be ashy for darker skintones as it is light and not sheer. For my very pale skin it is slightly darker than my skin-tone, so if I want to keep my lids natural to match my face I simply add a touch of white eyeshadow.

I love the packaging. Its pretty, and the color stands out well in my makeup bag. Things tend to get lost in my big makeup bag so the distinct color and pattern helps me find it easily. Also, I like to get the most for my money so I wanted a primer like this packed in a squeezy tube so I can I squeeze the tube flat for every last drop then cut the tube open and get a few more weeks use, ha ha.

On the negatives, obviously it is pricey. Here in New Zealand it is NZ $40/US $34.50 which stings but the product does work so well and I will try to order from the website next time. Also, it does tend to highlight wrinkles and crepey-ness in the inner corner of lids if used in a thick layer. The thinnest layer is best, especially in the wrinklier areas. I suspect people with very dry lids would want to use an eye cream first. Last negative, I find it does not work for me with any cream shadows I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

UPDATE 1/17/2014: I found that over time this was really drying on my lids. If that's not a problem for you it still holds shadow on really well, but for me it meant moving on. I've been using Nars which I like, and just tried NYX ($3) which seems very similar at a fraction of the cost.

If I had an event where I really needed strong hold I might still use Lime Crime, but for daily use it is just too drying for me.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Man does this stuff live up to the hype. I'm a primer junkie and my eye makeup usually starts vanishing within a couple of hours. But I'm at the end of the day now and it looks like I just applied it.

I see some do not like the packaging in a tube, but the stuff is quite thick and probably less prone to dry out now than it was in a pot. Also less likely to get contaminated by your fingers. A big plus for any product that goes near your eyes.

It's not a concealer so if you have dark lids you need to use a color corrector first. I used it on top of Maybelline Age Defying concealer and set with Tarte Smooth Operator powder. They all worked well together to create a very smooth palate, and quite natural looking if you're going for a no-makeup makeup look.

Zero creasing. Good price, in line with other primers (I think I paid $20). All in all it goes in my "must have" column.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by MrsNadiaP

I really like this primer. I have hooded eyes and an oily eye lid. It kept my eyelids oil free all day. You only need to use a tiny amount of product so this small tube should last you a long time. I put it on under my foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by susu42

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Im back again to give a review on another eyeshadow primer, I have hooded eyes plus oily eyelids so not a great combination especially when it summer time, so I have tried a few primer like the Too Faced shadow insurance, Prestige Primed& Ready, Wet N Wild and quite a few others but so far even though they are not all bad in my case I haven't found the Eye Primer yet that will keep my shadow from creasing or fading on me, so I decided to give this a try, so far I will say I like it not love its a nice texture, blends out very nicely and doesn't leave that white cast like some do, and I didn't smell a strong fragrance to it. In my opinion its expensive $16,99 plus s&H if you order off the Website. It does make the shadow color pop and I guess on someone with normal skin it would last a good amount of time, but for me its just ok nothing that I must have, so im still on the hunt for a bad ass eyeshadow primer, not everything work the same on everyone, so this is just my experience with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Well, I'm hoping that the new tube doesn't disappoint (as per medicinedoll's review on the new tube formula)! I'm still ploughing through the last blue pot purchased a year ago & I love it (it's my 3rd pot).

I've tried just about every primer on the market (although I still want to try Lorac's) as I need serious tearproofing, not just waterproofing.

In my mid 40's I had 11mm of the corner of my eye removed due to a tumor, including the tearduct. Did you know that, sans that duct, the excess liquid defies gravity & travels up & into the crease of the eye socket before it flows down? Nope? Neither did I until the surgery healed up. As a warning to you lovely ladies who like lining their waterline, the first thing the dermatologist asked was whether I did this as it seems to be the most common factor amongst women women who develop such cancers (& they're by far most common in women). The truth is that I've never done the waterline (tightlining only!) but, despite my best intentions, had often slept with mascara & eyeliner or its residue around my eyes over the years. When you're tired, close enough seems to be good enough.

PLEASE, go to the GoodGuide & read how many carcinogens goes into your favourite eye cosmetics. If you haven't, you're in for a shock.

I digress. Eyeshadow helper is the only primer that truly makes my eyeshadow waterproof. I feel a bit dubious about giving it 5 lippies because it takes time & patience to apply it in the colder weather properly due to the thickness of the formula. With my first pot, it took a few months for me to stop bypassing it in favour of something I could just slap on quickly until I found myself reaching for it more and more often. You do need to let it soften from the warmth of your fingers & your eyelids and dab it out with care to avoid pulling the delicate skin. Nevertheless, I don't find that it takes any longer than other eye primers once you get the gist of its texture... and, once it's on, you can apply your eyeshadows & they'll look the same colour as what you see in your pallet! The beauty part is that, what time you save in slapping on another product is countered by the waiting time in letting it dry down to the perfect texture for applying my eye makeup. I find that is really an aggravating hit or miss process with other primers because it varies according to weather conditions, etc. I'll get impatient & start too early or will discover that the primer has set too much before starting. With Shadow Helper, it's good to go as soon as you have it on & remains the perfect consistency even if you spend more time putting on the base on the first eye than usual. For me, that's the equivalent of having let your first coat of mascara dry down too much before applying the second. Lime Crime's Shadow Helper is pretty much foolproof when it comes to timing... and that's something I love it for.

Blending can be an issue because this really grips, so I'd suggest a good base (MAC paint pots are fabulous) or some of your powder base colour worked in above the crease, as well as your brow bone powder before blending in your mid and crease colours.

Now, as the bold & beautiful colours I used to love have found other homes or have been binned because they really age me, I use softer neutrals & it isn't an issue. If I only want a wash of colour, I prep with a tiny bit of translucent powder on a big blending brush & dust it over my lid sparingly. This provides enough smoothness to create more of a wash of colour, as well as blendability. Eyeshadow Helper still works its way through the miserly layer of powder and sets the eyeshadow to waterproof without harsh lines or having to build umpteen dozen layers of your shadows until they turn into a muddy mess.

To my way of thinking, there isn't an HG eye primer. Just as with other point makeup, there are various types which perform well for one type of look but not for others. I don't have less than 3 mascaras, multiple eyeshadows (in different forms) or at least 6 or 7 eyeliners (in different forms) on the go at any given time. I also usually have 3 eye primers in use as well. Dependent on what my eyemakeup look is, a light brushing of waterproofing sealant does the trick for other primers if I think it will be necessary.

Eyeshadow Helper is an essential for me for when I know I need heavy duty help for keeping colour and precision immovable until I hit it with waterproof eyemakeup remover... and take off every last skerrick. Remember, close enough is not good enough.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by medicinedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was a fan of the old formula (the formular in the pot). I don't know what they changed with the new one but it DOES not work as good as the new one. I try different primers very often and nothing worked as well as the original. The new one smudges within a few hours, the old one does not. I tested both of them out. Needless to say i'm thoroughly dissapointed in LC, and I am on the look out for a new primer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by TheSilverSnowflake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Violet

This is my go-to eyeshadow primer, without a doubt. I tried several other brands, and nothing quite compared to this one. I found it through some bright/crazy make-up blogs I frequent, it kept popping up in tutorials and how-tos, so I figured I'd try it. It's really an awesome product. My lids go through the whole dry/normal/oily spectrum thoroughout the year, and I never have a problem. But it is very easy to overapply, which does, in my experience, cause smearing, early fading, etc. This was my first LC purchase, and my favorite so far. I use a brush to remove it from the pot, then apply it to my lids. I usually have to smooth it out with my fingers, but I don't mind. It lasts anywhere from 4 to 30 hours, depending on what other products I use.
I only wish they sold it in more colors, like some better known primers.
I, personally, have the little blue pot, but I see that on their site they have tubes now. The hygiene thing wasn't a serious concern of mine, but they seem to have addressed that.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by chatterboxlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have oily lids.I have UDPP (love this!), tried NYX HD base (which sucks), and the Korean brand Etude Proof 10 (which is awesome).

I don't like this primer. The packaging sucks because the primer dries out from the pot. Which means you'll have a hard time spreading it on your lids. Overtime you'll contribute to premature wrinkles. Also, chances are before you even use up the pot, the product is already dry.

My worst experience was applying this around 7 pm for a party I had to attend. My eye makeup looked great, vibrant, and it really felt promising. By midnight, I had raccoon eyes and major creasing. It's like I didn't use any primer in the first place.

To be fair, I think this can work for dry-normal lids.