August 20, 2014 | 1098 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - salon effects

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2014 1:06:00 AM More reviews by DinaD5

I bought a few packs of these for friends & my sister as gift fillers this year because they looked so cute. On my way back from a road trip, I decided to treat myself to some for a change and bought the It Girl pink. FYI, I have good nails & followed all instructions to a T. They barely held on (the stick ons) & were very awkward to shape. The ones I managed to get on looked crinkled and like stickers. I'll try a patterned one in the future but defo not the matte colours! I ruined my manicure for nothing.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by astrick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDIT: So I've tried several of these and sadly, have had mixed results. I've had excellent results with the Coral Group and Orange You Glad patterns. The Kitty Kitty was easy to put on and the prettiest at first, but didn't last well at all. It had cracks in the polish and chipped after 3-4 days of not particularly hard use. The Merry Go Round didn't go on well at all - it tore easily and had printer lines through it.

So it's a mixed bag. The ones that have worked well work VERY well and I would give 5 lippies. The other ones… only 3.

*********************************

I have been dubious about this product since it came out. I recently saw some limited edition sets for a little over $5 and decided to give them a try. Now I'm kicking myself for not trying these sooner. I first tried the Coral Group pattern. They were very easy to apply - about 30 minutes and no dry time. Given that I have short nails, I think I can get 2 manicures out of a pack.

I will say that you have to properly prep your nail by making sure all of the oil is removed from the nail. Whatever method you use (rubbing alcohol, dawn dish soap, OPI Chip Skip…) I also buffed my nails to get rid of any ridges.

I am very hard on my nails. When I take my time and do a proper manicure, they last 2 days, at best. I have now had these on for six days with no chipping, lifting or peeling. I have little kids and am constantly washing my hands. In the past six days, I have been camping, horseback riding and opening things with my nails.

I used to have acrylic nails and shellac done, but didn't like the damage or expense with those options. Not sure how to rate the price… it's more expensive than an application of nail polish, but much cheaper than a manicure, and lasts longer. Given the length of time they last, I think the price is quite reasonable.

I do wish they had some solid options… a red, navy, purple, grey, gold.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 2:58:00 AM More reviews by smcgraw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love these for when I am pressed for time - I always keep a box around. It comes with everything you need to apply, and I can do it in about 10 minutes. I've even done it immediately before taking a shower. My favorite are the variety of french manicures. I would like to see more subdued colors and patterns. They go on flawless for me and last at least a week - the trick is to get the perfect size for each nail (and slightly thinner than your nail bed is much better than slightly wider), hold them in the middle and smooth them on quickly, using the orange stick to smooth any bubbles, and to press them down hard over your nail tip and then file only in a downward motion to remove the excess. Brilliant invention.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 11:17:00 AM More reviews by izzybella

These are absolute crap! I tried these in Glitz Blitz and was so excited to have gold glitter nails. These strips smell like nail polish but wouldn't stay on my nail once I started filing. They're just too thick and the strip wouldn't stay on the corners of my nails. I tried again using base coat underneath because I read that this helped the strip stay on, but still, the corners would pop up and I knew they wouldn't stay on. What a waste of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2014 7:04:00 PM More reviews by essence38

I nearly just had a fit trying to apply the "French Mani" version of these. I have tried a few other patterns which actually did last about a week each and looked great. The French ones however, did not live up to my expectations. I just spent about an hour trying to apply these and they are uneven and fit my nails awkwardly. I feel like for 10.99 CAD I could have spent the same and gotten numerous applications of white and nude colour polishes and done a better job myself. Also, I ended up with an obsene amount of garbage at the end- definitely do not recommend if you have small children or pets around because the pieces of garbage are small and easy to miss while cleaning up.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2013 10:37:00 AM More reviews by MiddleCyclone

I do like these a lot as a cheaper alternative to a salon gel manicure. I also love a lot of the nail art patterns these come in. The first time I tried applying them I got about 8 out of 10 nails looking perfect but with practice these became far easier to apply. The only disappointment I've had with these is with the design Tattoo Much, the application went on fine but the pattern looked far different on my nails then it did in the advertisement. Overall Id say these are a good choice for a fun and funky nail look. My best tip for application would be to really clean your nails thoroughly with a strong nail polish remover first to remove any dirt or moisture. The drier you nails are the better adhesion you will get. I've done this every time I've used these strips and have not had any problems with peeling, chipping or bubbling. My nails have looked perfect for a least a week to 10 days!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by MissDaryl

I have been using this product for at least 2 years now and it has been great, it has lasted up to two weeks on my nails in the past even with working in a supermarket and using my hands a lot. I find it really easy to apply and I cut the strips in half so I can use the set twice rather than once.

I have always loved them but lately I have found some inconsistencies with it, for example, last week on Sunday night, I applied one set and it last right through until Friday which is with working full time (in Childcare so lots of use of the hands), no top coat, no repairs. Then on Saturday I decided would change it and bought another set, they lasted a day and a half, I had lost three nails worth of strips by the end of Sunday afternoon and this was when I was out shopping. this has happened to me a few times now. The designs with a white background seem to be the ones that don't last for me.

Never the less, I will probably try it a few more times, or at least until I run out of designs before I give up on them, they are good most of the time. One last thing, it would be great if they sold the designs without a file and a cuticle stick as if I am buying them in lots I don't need more than one of each item.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by beautyybabee

I've seen so many people rave about this product in real life and on youtube. I just CANNOT use them! They fit awkwardly on some of my nails, and sometimes the strips aren't sticky. These strips DO smell like nail polish so it's obvious that they ARE REAL nail polish, but other than that, I don't really see the significance of this product. Some people love it and some hate it, so I recommend just trying so you can see for yourself

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by foreverstella21

I HATE THIS STUFF!

I purchased the set in Lust-rous, a pretty black with gold and silver chunky sparkles. Application was easy, and the manual was great. It was also wonderful that it came with a cuticle pusher and a nail file (although it was made somewhat cheaply.)

Soon enough, in a matter of 12 hours these chipped. On the box, it says that they last 10 days, and I think that claim is waaaaaay off. By the third day, all of my nails chipped.

These are also super uncomfortable on the nails. When I brush my fingers through my hair, the wax strips almost get like caught in my hair? I don't really know how to describe it, but it feels super uncomfortable and I was itching to get them off as soon as possible.

I tried to take them off with my amazing nail polish remover (it takes off almost EVERYTHING) but the nail polish wouldn't budge. I was frustrated-- how can a product chip so easily but then be so hard to remove? I finally used some aluminum foil and soaked the nails with remover but still there was a lot of residue left. I had to take three showers for all of it to come off of my nails. My nails were in awful condition--dry, brittle, and weak.

For $10, I reccomend going to the store and buying a good OPI or Essie. I feel so stupid for wasting my money on these. Will NEVER repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 10:25:00 PM More reviews by BadWaitress

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love these. I use them on my toenails and they last until they grow out. My toes are small and I keep the nails pretty short, so I can often use the same strip for, say, both big toes, both little toes...you get the picture. The easiest way to get them down to the right length is to apply the polish-sticker to your toe and then use nail scissors to cut right around the end of your toenail, and just file the little bit that's left. Also, I just a glass file and not the paper one that comes with the kit.