April 17, 2014 | 1086 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - salon effects

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2014 7:04:00 PM More reviews by essence38

I nearly just had a fit trying to apply the "French Mani" version of these. I have tried a few other patterns which actually did last about a week each and looked great. The French ones however, did not live up to my expectations. I just spent about an hour trying to apply these and they are uneven and fit my nails awkwardly. I feel like for 10.99 CAD I could have spent the same and gotten numerous applications of white and nude colour polishes and done a better job myself. Also, I ended up with an obsene amount of garbage at the end- definitely do not recommend if you have small children or pets around because the pieces of garbage are small and easy to miss while cleaning up.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2013 10:37:00 AM More reviews by MiddleCyclone

I do like these a lot as a cheaper alternative to a salon gel manicure. I also love a lot of the nail art patterns these come in. The first time I tried applying them I got about 8 out of 10 nails looking perfect but with practice these became far easier to apply. The only disappointment I've had with these is with the design Tattoo Much, the application went on fine but the pattern looked far different on my nails then it did in the advertisement. Overall Id say these are a good choice for a fun and funky nail look. My best tip for application would be to really clean your nails thoroughly with a strong nail polish remover first to remove any dirt or moisture. The drier you nails are the better adhesion you will get. I've done this every time I've used these strips and have not had any problems with peeling, chipping or bubbling. My nails have looked perfect for a least a week to 10 days!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by MissDaryl

I have been using this product for at least 2 years now and it has been great, it has lasted up to two weeks on my nails in the past even with working in a supermarket and using my hands a lot. I find it really easy to apply and I cut the strips in half so I can use the set twice rather than once.

I have always loved them but lately I have found some inconsistencies with it, for example, last week on Sunday night, I applied one set and it last right through until Friday which is with working full time (in Childcare so lots of use of the hands), no top coat, no repairs. Then on Saturday I decided would change it and bought another set, they lasted a day and a half, I had lost three nails worth of strips by the end of Sunday afternoon and this was when I was out shopping. this has happened to me a few times now. The designs with a white background seem to be the ones that don't last for me.

Never the less, I will probably try it a few more times, or at least until I run out of designs before I give up on them, they are good most of the time. One last thing, it would be great if they sold the designs without a file and a cuticle stick as if I am buying them in lots I don't need more than one of each item.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by beautyybabee

I've seen so many people rave about this product in real life and on youtube. I just CANNOT use them! They fit awkwardly on some of my nails, and sometimes the strips aren't sticky. These strips DO smell like nail polish so it's obvious that they ARE REAL nail polish, but other than that, I don't really see the significance of this product. Some people love it and some hate it, so I recommend just trying so you can see for yourself

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by foreverstella21

I HATE THIS STUFF!

I purchased the set in Lust-rous, a pretty black with gold and silver chunky sparkles. Application was easy, and the manual was great. It was also wonderful that it came with a cuticle pusher and a nail file (although it was made somewhat cheaply.)

Soon enough, in a matter of 12 hours these chipped. On the box, it says that they last 10 days, and I think that claim is waaaaaay off. By the third day, all of my nails chipped.

These are also super uncomfortable on the nails. When I brush my fingers through my hair, the wax strips almost get like caught in my hair? I don't really know how to describe it, but it feels super uncomfortable and I was itching to get them off as soon as possible.

I tried to take them off with my amazing nail polish remover (it takes off almost EVERYTHING) but the nail polish wouldn't budge. I was frustrated-- how can a product chip so easily but then be so hard to remove? I finally used some aluminum foil and soaked the nails with remover but still there was a lot of residue left. I had to take three showers for all of it to come off of my nails. My nails were in awful condition--dry, brittle, and weak.

For $10, I reccomend going to the store and buying a good OPI or Essie. I feel so stupid for wasting my money on these. Will NEVER repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 10:25:00 PM More reviews by BadWaitress

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love these. I use them on my toenails and they last until they grow out. My toes are small and I keep the nails pretty short, so I can often use the same strip for, say, both big toes, both little toes...you get the picture. The easiest way to get them down to the right length is to apply the polish-sticker to your toe and then use nail scissors to cut right around the end of your toenail, and just file the little bit that's left. Also, I just a glass file and not the paper one that comes with the kit.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by ham1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was stoked to try this product, but quickly found it would be a waste. It was difficult to cut the strips to fit my nails. I ended up tearing off the nail strip on some, so I had to carefully try to attach the remaining part to the nails. For the ones I managed to get it on in one piece, it was a challenge for me. Afterwards, it looked cheap and made my nails look huge (used the white one so that was probably why). It did not look smooth, and was totally noticeable as a sticker, not smooth and shiny polish. Furthermore, I hated this product because it chipped right away. So I tried to attach the excess pieces from the leftover nail strips to press it on. I recommend buying quick dry nail polish and adding a cheap top coat. At least when it chips then, you can swipe color over it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by misterandry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

They're okay enough, I guess. What I really dislike about these is that they're hard to get flat against the nail if you have longer nails, like I do. It's very hard to get it not to wrinkle for me. I've only ever used the lace patterns, so the wrinkles don't show unless I'm looking for it, but considering that it is pretty expensive (I paid about nine bucks, for one use!) and it would definitely show up in a different pattern, I'm a little unhappy about it. I would buy them again though, this little kink just bothers me a lot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A little late to be writing a review, but I tried these last year with a few different patterns. One was the "love letters" and the other was a red and black patchwork pattern. The love letters was great. It lasted on my nails until it actually grew out. The black and red didn't last more than two days. I found that very odd. I used the same type of application, it's very easy to apply once you get the hang of it.
If it does last as long as my first one (the love letters), I don't mind the price and the time it took me to apply. It took me about an hour. But as far as the second only lasting two days, that's a bust as far as I'm concerned.
It's not something I would repurchase tho, I'm not really a fan of this company. I much prefer cruelty-free companies and for that reason plus the fact that one package lasted and the other didn't, there doesn't seem to be uniform consistency in the product.
I think other MUA'ers have great ideas on how to use the product and get more bang for your buck tho. It's far too expensive to just purchase outright and waste the extras in the package. I have tried some other similar types out on the market, none with success either. I'll just stick to my polish for right now. That's difficult enough sometimes....

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Seriously dig these for my toenails. I'm totally incapable of painting my own toenails without messing up the polish before it dries, and with these I can do my own pedicures at home for 1/4th the price and with super cute designs!

I've used these a few times now, and have had great success with them - I've never gotten less than a week of flawless wear, and I don't even apply a topcoat. I always clean my nails well with nail polish remover beforehand to make sure there's no oils that would keep the strips from adhering properly, and I buff with the fine grit side of the file provided or with my own nail buffer. I also like to apply them at night, so they can set overnight before I have to put shoes on. I have even been able to use the extra strips to give myself a matching accent nail, on top of my pink and white gel nails.

Love these, and love that they release seasonal patterns!