October 23, 2014 | 1316 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Rae Cosmetics - Climate Control

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by cebaker07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried Rae Climate Control a few months ago and couldn't really make a decision. The customer service team at Rae Cosmetics is fantastic and sent me LOTS of samples, but there wasn't much in each little pot to help me decide the best color or how I liked the coverage. As a tinted moisturizer, this is sheer coverage and I probably use just over a pea-size for a layer (or two pumps).

I am generally a medium-full coverage person, as I have acne spots and redness. My first introduction to the product was a little lack-luster. It doesn't really cover anything but minor flaws, and like most foundations, can accentuate dry spots/flakes. So, at its price + shipping, I just wasn't sure... However, when Rae had a sale on HauteLook, I bought a tube in shade 15. The color match is pretty perfect - I am usually Clinique Perfectly Real 04, Estee Lauder DW Light 1/ Estee Lauder DW 1N2 Ecru, Bare Minerals R250 or MAC NC 20 (which does tend to look a little orange). I think NC 20 is closer to the 25 tone, as it looked a little more orange, and the 15 tone is much like Clinique's color. The 35 is probably more like NC 25 or EL DW Light 2.

Now that its summer and my skin is a little more hydrated, the tint does sit pretty well - but can still highlight dryness (like most other foundations anyway). It can also settle into my creases (but again, most foundations seem to on me). But, I would say the tint is buildable and with a light dusting of Bare Minerals Veil, it looks pretty flawless. If you have better skin than I do, it would probably work beautifully without the powder. I live in WI, so the humidity in the summer is something to worry about, but this seems to hold up well even with sweat, long days, hot temperatures and high humidity. I am really glad I gave this a second chance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2011 11:26:00 AM More reviews by chichi82582

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an absolute lifesaver product for me in the summer. It is a waterproof tinted moisturizer with spf 20 and moderate coverage (i.e., more coverage than most tinted moisturizers, but still sheer in comparison to regular liquid foundations). I have never been a tinted moisturizer kind of gal as I typically prefer medium to full coverage foundations. However, regular foundation tends to melt off of my face in the humid summer months, regardless of what primer and setting powders I use, thus I was desperate to find something that stayed put and did not irritate and/or cause breakouts on my extremely sensitive skin. I have been using this product for two and a half months now, through extreme heat and humidity (90-100 degrees, with 100% humidity), and it really stays put. Even if my face is sweating profusely, my makeup does not start sliding off, which is a first for me. I have found that my makeup will last all day if I skip primer entirely, apply the rae tinted moisturizer, set it with lorac wet/dry powder (great for sensitive skin, and it provides a little extra coverage), then apply MUFE full coverage concealer to blemishes, benefit erase paste to undereye circles, illamasqua cream blush to my cheeks, dust a sheer layer of the lorac powder over everything to set it, and finish with a dusting of guerlain terracotta bronzer. My makeup looks glowy, natural, and does not budge all day, regardless of what I am doing.

This product essentially acts like a waterproof primer, because it helps all of my makeup to stay put when I am sweating. Case in point: the other day I forgot (like an idiot) to remove my makeup before working out at the gym. I ran several miles on the treadmill, was sweating buckets and blotting my face with my towel non-stop. Normally, my makeup would be patchy and melted all over, however, when I looked in the mirror, I realized with amazement that my makeup was perfectly intact, as if I had never worked out at all. The best part? I didn't break out from working out with my makeup on (which certainly would not have been the case had I been wearing a regular foundation). This stuff somehow acts like a barrier so that sweat, oil, and moisture do not break down your makeup, yet at the same time, it allows your pores to breathe.

In fact, this tinted moisturizer has not broken me out once, which is surprising given that almost everything causes my super sensitive skin to break out. The fact that it has spf 20 is fantastic too, as again, i have had to be careful about using products with spf, as they tend to cause irritation and break outs.

The only problem with this product is that the brand is relatively unknown, thereby making it difficult to purchase online (I believe that is only available on the rae cosmetics website). I only wish it were easier to come by! Nevertheless, rae cosmetics climate control tinted moisturizer gets an A+ in my book and I pray that they never discontinue it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by colleenh86

I've been using Climate Control for about 6 months now, and it has become one of my favorite products. It's a water-based tinted moisturizer, or sheer foundation, though I often use it as a primer under my powder foundation.

I first discovered Rae Cosmetics after searching for a makeup that was truly sweat-proof: something that could take the heat and humidity of places like Houston and Austin. This entire line of makeup is designed for active women, or anyone that needs makeup that's not going to sweat off and smudge as soon as it warms up outside.

I've personally put Climate Control (and the Mineral Powder, which I used to set it) to the test: I was forced to stand at a bus stop for 45 minutes in the sun, in 104 degree heat and high humidity. Any other makeup I've tried would have melted off, but Rae *stayed*. I looked in the mirror when I got home (after walking several blocks in the same heat), and my face makeup still looked perfect. Needless to say, I was impressed.

My skin is combination/oily and acne-prone, so I have to be careful with what makeup I use. Climate Control is oil-free, and has not irritated my skin yet. In fact, my skin has been feeling more normal and balanced since I started wearing it.

It is quite sheer, but can be layered for extra coverage without looking cakey. I would describe the finish as natural. Climate Control has none of the greasy, oily feeling of many TMs I've tried.

The packaging is nice. It's a soft tube that I don't think will waste a lot of product, and keeps the Climate Control from being exposed to the air. There is a dispensing cap that allows you to squeeze out a little bit of product at a time, which is great, because a pea-sized amount covers my whole face.

I am around NC10-ish (very pale neutral) and the 15 degrees shade is *almost* too peachy/dark on me, but I sheer it out, and it looks gorgeous. I've corresponded with the line's designer and makeup artist by e-mail, and she mentioned that a lighter and darker shade are planned, but a date has not been set for their release.

I've experienced nothing but great customer service with them. When their Climate Control in the 15 degree shade was out of stock briefly, they actually mailed me a few sample pots and a letter apologizing for the wait and thanking me for my business. Rae Cosmetics is a great little company. They're based out of Austin, TX, but you can order online at:
www.raecosmetics.com