December 19, 2014 | 1679 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Traversee du Bosphore

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by tessture

First on, loved it. Tart, tangy with lovely candied floral note, but when I tried it again, it was much more complex and muddy. It isn't bad at all, but reminds me too much of something I've tried before. Vanilla musk and sueded leather notes keep it heavier than I'd like and the tart fruit/floral fades into the background too much. If I'm looking for it, I can detect Turkish Delight, but it's such a sweet dessert and with the vanilla musk that it's too sweet on me, as my skin amps sweet notes. Not a winner for me

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2014 4:31:00 PM More reviews by theresasampson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Traversee du Bosphorus is a powdery 'loukhoum' fragrance which is almost a sub-genre in itself. I find it to be a light powder gourmand skin scent that opens with a bit of a suede/leather "feel" & a tiny hint of aromatic red apple tea followed by confection of rose/pistachio (loukhoum) & iris spun powder. I find this to be a very fun scent & very innocent. In no way overwheming, nor is the "leather" to my nose that prevalent. I believe there is some vanilla in the dry down but I could be wrong. To me there isn't a drastic evolution in this fragrance but again I don't want to say its linear.

I very much enjoy this but my polyamorous perfume ways prevent me from rebuying. I wouldn't refuse as a present though:)
On me the sillage stays pretty close to the skin & longevity seems moderate. I haven't tried Serge' Rahat Loukoum but say that this is a lighter than KM loukhoum parfum which has more cherry almond in it & some rose-musc in the base. If you like this you may find perfumes with rose/violet "powder cosmetic accord" perfume (lipstick rose, drole e rose) rose/vanilla perfumes or powdery iris/parma violet scents to be worth you while.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2012 4:42:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

yihaaa!!as soon as I started to realize that the more time it passes, the lesser are the chances to smell something unique, I got this generous decant and fell deeply in love...
first of all, this is a vulcanic gourmand...that's how I'd name it...
it is sooo hot, so dry,yet so fruity not to sweet and weird that I instantly had a picture od CdG newest creation (squashed transparent ''used'' bottle)...
it has the exact same kind of futuristic character,folowwed by a strange kind of plasma hotness only CdGarcons's perfumes have (Odeur 71 comes to my mind to....)

it is kind of lipstick-y, and kind of Daim Blonde-y, but soo damn delectable and full of nutritive suggestions that I wondered who on earth would be crazy enough to put these things together:

apple, tulip,pomegranate,iris, suede accord,rose,pistacchio,vanilla,musk....?
lik omg, this is a perfectly grotesque combo, but so wearable indeed...

I'm thinkin of buying a FB, frustration on very short period of living aside...
not all Artisans are so weak and short...hopefully, when I use this decant,I'll have a better overview...

going slowly in the Timbuktu path, but is sweetwr and denser than Timbuktu..
this one is what I'd like to bare the name ''Bois farine'''...it realy at some point reminds me of fresh,spicy, christmas batter with some dry fruits..
delicious!!!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 10:11:00 AM More reviews by mysterious_scent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sweetened powdery apple tea, exactly feels like the apple tea I drank in Istanbul.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2012 6:19:00 AM More reviews by SmellyFaerie

I apologize in advance for this review…it may be long, subjective and maybe not that helpful. I really tried to do a left- brained review here, but it’s not really working. For the ones who are not bothered my by ramblings, it may still be entertaining.

My grandmother started to work early as an Avon representative, and did that until the very old age kept her from doing it. It was her passion… she did the door-to-door catalogue thing, but she also had a lot of loyal customers who didn’t want to wait for the delivery of the products and her next visit to get their orders. Thus, she ended up having a huge supply at her home, almost everything from the catalogues, so she could deliver the products faster and never let her customers run out of their favorite lipsticks, for example.

What does this have to do with L’Artisan Parfumeur Traversee du Bosphore? Nothing and everything. I’ll get to that, I promise. My grandma’s Avon supply was kept stored in a huge cherry wood cabinet, which was also where she used to hang her suede things. The scent of years of cosmetic storage (not aging stored cosmetics, she always found a way to get rid of the old stuff) impregnated the air each time we opened that cabinet, and it was deliciously intoxicating.

Since we lived far away from each other, I only visited my grandma a couple of times a year, to spend a few days during school vacations. Then she would let us (me, my mother, aunts and girl cousins) go through all the boxes and take whatever we wanted. I guess that was the way she found to get rid of the excesses and always have new stuff to offer to her customers: we were a total of 9 women, at different ages, so there was a lot to get from there.

The best memory I have from those days (besides spending time with family and getting free cosmetics) was the scent that emanated from that cabinet: a mélange of all sorts of beauty things, suede and the turkish delight she was preparing far away in the kitchen. And this is what Traversee du Bosphore smells like to me: my grandmother’s closet. I have no better words to describe it, since it is a strongly emotional scent to me.

For the ones who managed to read up to here, Traversee du Bosphore notes include: apple, pomegranate, tulip, iris, leather, saffron, turkish delight accord (rose and pistacchio), vanilla and musks. Some may call it a “gourmand leather”, but I don’t think that would be accurate. It is not foody enough to be classified as a gourmand and the leather is more like a soft suede.

In the opening, I can detect a very nice and warm iris (probably helped by the saffron), that doesn’t smell exactly powdery, just very round. A faint hint of apple adds some sweetness to the early drydown, being slowly replaced by an abstract loukoum. I say abstract because this is not a “straight” loukoum fragrance, at least not along the lines of Keiko Mecheri Loukoum or Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum.

As it starts to settle, comes the leather (suede), still with that warm iris note, and this is how it remains until the late drydown. It does have some sweetness, but this is still far away from stepping into gourmand territory.

I see it as a unisex scent, which may work better in cool weather. But it is not strong enough to be avoided during summer either. It stays close to the skin (no big silage) and the lasting power is probably the best among all the L’Artisans.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I thought from the notes that this would be an HG for sure. Loukhoum and leather, the sweet and the naughty. And fruit to bott. On me this is all barbie doll wearing a leather vest. It is so faint I can barely smell it, and I don't get any fruitiness or any notes at all besides leather and something plasticky.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2011 12:10:00 PM More reviews by blowfish

Start is juicy fruit (apple and/or cherry), wetness (like a grey day), and plush softness at the same time…I definitely get the suede note. Juicy fruit plus suede make for an unusually compelling start. Also a bit of powdered sugar which I think I could do without…..a bit of Lutens Rahat Loukoum territory. Quickly gets softer and less juicy, and less interesting. Middle and drydown - soft suede and quite subtle…too subtle. Disappointing given the exciting start.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by azjavagirl

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am so very disappointed. I love many in the l'Artisan line and had such high hopes for this fragrance based on the reviews here, as I was intrigued by the idea of Turkish candy married to tobacco and leather. Not sure what I was expecting exactly, but it's definitely not what I got: Unfortunately, all I get from TdB is....orange creamsicle. Start to finish, I smell like a frozen cream pop. In the opening there is a whisper of tobacco and a nutty wood (the pistachio, perhaps?), but the creamy fruit note is already there, faint but discernible. Within a half hour, the creamsicle note is pronounced. In an hour, it's all I can smell. No roses, no leather. Just sweet, fluffy, fruity vanilla ice cream. Not what I wanted, which of course means that it has amazing lasting power, especially for a l'Artisan. I even used alcohol to try to remove it, and it is still here over five hours later, going strong. Ah, well, my wallet is happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by ccspringer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Traversee du Bosphore is a very unusual fragrance. It is sweet and dusty, like an oddly stale gourmand scent (I don't mean this in a bad way). A very distinct memory popped up in my head when I first smelled TdB. The chewy, fruity sweetness, combined with very strong powder and dust, made me think of my time in the suburbs of Beijing. Everyday I would walk along the warm pavement past a line of fruit vendors. The fruits grew sticky and aromatic in the hot sun, and the air was fragrant with their nectar. This smell mixed with the cool, mineral dust of the stone road that was kicked up as people walked along.
Later I read the TdB is supposed to conjure Turkish delight. Well, at least I thought of somewhere east, right? As soon as I heard the Turkish delight reference, my previous memory disappeared and now that's all I can smell in TdB. Chewy Turkish delight dusted with lots of powdered sugar. In the drydown, the sticky fruits and flowers fade away and all that remains is a very smooth, powdery scent, an incredibly light leather. I'm not a huge fan of Turkish delight, but I'm very impressed by how unusual and specific TdB is.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2011 10:34:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: tobacco smoke, apple, tulips, saffron, leather, Turkish Delight (rose and pistachio), musk.

This fragrance starts with a delicious green apple note underneath of which I see an edible sweetish powder-y note similar to what a marshmallow smells like. This gourmand note gains prominence as the fragrance dries on my skin. The apple note sublimes into a fruity fresh note no longer recognisable as apple while the Turkish delight note becomes more and more defined. This is due to a melange of florals - mainly rose-, spices and leather which add realism and - in case of the leather note - depth to the whole accord. Compared to Serge Luten's Rahat L. this fragrance is softer; Rahat reminds me of a liqueur, whilst this is candy. Despite this the scent is never cloying, but a wonderful presence to have around. Lasts for more than 6 hours on my skin.