December 17, 2014 | 1683 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #242 Shader Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by bumblebee770

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this specifically to apply Paint Pot shadow in Painterly for all over/base color. I am returning as the Paint Pot didn't work for me (would be better on younger eyes) and I didn't like the way the 242 applied my powder Blanc Type all over/brow bone shadow. It's a little stiffer and didn't lay down a very smooth shadow. It does work very well with the Paint Pot though so I'm giving it a 4.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I recently added this to my brush collection. I've only used it for powder eye shadow, and it works great! I love my Mac brushes. I just wish the numbers would stay on them. The quality brushes have made a huge difference in the application and final finish of my eye makeup. Such a worthy investment.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2014 1:49:00 PM More reviews by grapes123xo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this brush is great for paint pots, cream eyeshadow. it's not soft like some other mac brushes, I thought it was a concealer brush at first. I will keep using it even tough sometimes I have to.layer to get a good color. that's not really a bad thing tough, because if you don't want dramatic eyeshadow this can help you get a natural look but you can layer with this for a more intense look. overall, I think this brush is worth it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I was looking for a good cream eyeshadow brush and i had the short LE from the Archie brush kit and wanted another one. It is way better then the short version and is perfect for cream eyeshadows!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by creamdeviolet

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think this brush does better job than 239 for applying lid color it can also use for concealer too. Great brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm really shocked by how few reviews there are on this brush, it is seriously underrated. I own about 20 MAC brushes and this is tied for my #1 favorite spot, along with the 217. It used to be the 217 and the 239, now the 242 has knocked the 239 down the list. The 242 is a synthetic, sort of paint brush shaped brush. Much longer and thinner than the 239, which is sort of dense and short, with goat haired bristles. I love the 242 because it packs on eyeshadows like a FREAKING DREAM. I use it mostly for powder shadows, but it's great for paint pots and cream eyeshadows too. It really brings out the true colour and texture of the shadow, packing it on and making it look much more pigmented and really stand out,100% better than the 239 at packing on shadow, which gives a more blown out, faded look. The 242 gives a much more professional application and look. I also love that it's thin, so you can get into small areas, or put a very small amount of colour on. Another reason I like this brush better than the 239 is that it's more multipurpose! I use it around my lips too to get a cIean, crisp precise line when doing a red lip and even applying lipstick with. I don't really wear concealer so I can't comment on that part, but it definitely looks like it would be great for concealer. I paid just under $30 CAN for this brush, and in my experience, MAC brushes last FOREVER so I'd say totally worth the splurge. I'm still glad I have my 239, but I would hands down recommend this one over the 239, IF YOU CAN ONLY GET ONE, GET THE 242!! I'm already about to buy a second and I've only had it for about 2 weeks. Seriously, it's THAT good.

RAVE.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 3:26:00 AM More reviews by urs123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this brush. I use it for my MAC eyeshadow. It feels lux, the bristles are soft, the powder shadow goes on smoothly and with no fuss and although the bristles are soft they are tightly packed so you get good control and application. Yay. Recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

I'm about to buy a second one. This is the exact brush I had been hoping the 239 would be. $25 in America.
Don't know what the bristles are but they are dense with a long and thin 'head' not like the 239 that is slightly wider.
The thinner head allows for a more concentrated application of eyeshadow and I don't get a dusty ugly outer v that stretches all the way to my temple anymore. It packs on eyeshadow so densely and fallout is less with this brush than it is with any other (for me).
Works so well with pigments aswell, the colour payoff is amazing using this as compared to when I use any other brush. The brush head is also firm, it doesn't bend and 'swish' around as much as other brushes do, I'm guessing that's why it's so good at packing on colour.
I haven't used this for concealer yet but I plan to; I know it'll make a great brush for that.
This brush is worth the money, you would literally only need this brush and 217 for eyeshadow if you're a newbie/novice at make up. I am so glad I've found it, I can now do 3-4 colours on my eyelid without them mushing together and looking gross. This has helped my eyeshadow application go from 'meh' to 'WOW'. A must have!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by meganterese

I received this brush for Christmas and have been using it to apply paint pots (as an eyeshadow base). It covers a large area of the lid and spreads the product nicely. I've been cleaning it everyday so the paint pot doesn't build up in the brush and it has been holding up nicely

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by cainca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Use this for powder eyeshadow. Think it works quite well to pack on color. High quality - seems worth the investment.