April 18, 2014 | 1600 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #242 Shader Brush

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I was looking for a good cream eyeshadow brush and i had the short LE from the Archie brush kit and wanted another one. It is way better then the short version and is perfect for cream eyeshadows!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by creamdeviolet

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think this brush does better job than 239 for applying lid color it can also use for concealer too. Great brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm really shocked by how few reviews there are on this brush, it is seriously underrated. I own about 20 MAC brushes and this is tied for my #1 favorite spot, along with the 217. It used to be the 217 and the 239, now the 242 has knocked the 239 down the list. The 242 is a synthetic, sort of paint brush shaped brush. Much longer and thinner than the 239, which is sort of dense and short, with goat haired bristles. I love the 242 because it packs on eyeshadows like a FREAKING DREAM. I use it mostly for powder shadows, but it's great for paint pots and cream eyeshadows too. It really brings out the true colour and texture of the shadow, packing it on and making it look much more pigmented and really stand out,100% better than the 239 at packing on shadow, which gives a more blown out, faded look. The 242 gives a much more professional application and look. I also love that it's thin, so you can get into small areas, or put a very small amount of colour on. Another reason I like this brush better than the 239 is that it's more multipurpose! I use it around my lips too to get a cIean, crisp precise line when doing a red lip and even applying lipstick with. I don't really wear concealer so I can't comment on that part, but it definitely looks like it would be great for concealer. I paid just under $30 CAN for this brush, and in my experience, MAC brushes last FOREVER so I'd say totally worth the splurge. I'm still glad I have my 239, but I would hands down recommend this one over the 239, IF YOU CAN ONLY GET ONE, GET THE 242!! I'm already about to buy a second and I've only had it for about 2 weeks. Seriously, it's THAT good.

RAVE.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 3:26:00 AM More reviews by urs123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this brush. I use it for my MAC eyeshadow. It feels lux, the bristles are soft, the powder shadow goes on smoothly and with no fuss and although the bristles are soft they are tightly packed so you get good control and application. Yay. Recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

I'm about to buy a second one. This is the exact brush I had been hoping the 239 would be. $25 in America.
Don't know what the bristles are but they are dense with a long and thin 'head' not like the 239 that is slightly wider.
The thinner head allows for a more concentrated application of eyeshadow and I don't get a dusty ugly outer v that stretches all the way to my temple anymore. It packs on eyeshadow so densely and fallout is less with this brush than it is with any other (for me).
Works so well with pigments aswell, the colour payoff is amazing using this as compared to when I use any other brush. The brush head is also firm, it doesn't bend and 'swish' around as much as other brushes do, I'm guessing that's why it's so good at packing on colour.
I haven't used this for concealer yet but I plan to; I know it'll make a great brush for that.
This brush is worth the money, you would literally only need this brush and 217 for eyeshadow if you're a newbie/novice at make up. I am so glad I've found it, I can now do 3-4 colours on my eyelid without them mushing together and looking gross. This has helped my eyeshadow application go from 'meh' to 'WOW'. A must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by meganterese

I received this brush for Christmas and have been using it to apply paint pots (as an eyeshadow base). It covers a large area of the lid and spreads the product nicely. I've been cleaning it everyday so the paint pot doesn't build up in the brush and it has been holding up nicely

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by cainca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Use this for powder eyeshadow. Think it works quite well to pack on color. High quality - seems worth the investment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 7:05:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I much prefer the 239 for application, even though it's a little wide in the crease, I find this one a little grainy with it's application. I've had mine for years, didn't like it, tried using it for concealer, which didn't work either. So it just sits in my brush jar.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2011 3:31:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

This brush is an absolutely must have for me. It is as multi-purpose as it gets for an eye brush. The 242 is great for cream eyeshadows and bases, laying on color all over the lid and putting shadow in the lower lash line and diffusing it . I love love love this brush because one brush literally does three things, helping to limit the number of brushes in my collection and making them easier to find. A close alternative would be the 239, which is made of goat hair, slightly fluffier and white in color. I prefer the 242 to the 239, although the latter is much more popular. I think the 242 does just as good a job at laying down color as the 239, better at cream eye bases and putting down color on the lower lash line. The 242 is thinner and has a soft feel when used in the lower lash line so it doesn't drag the skin at all. Sonia Kashuk's small eyeshadow brush is the closest dupe I've found to the Mac 242 and I've compared the two in application. The 242 handles cream base products much much better as well as putting color in the lower lash line.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 12:10:00 AM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great brush to apply eye shadow. I tried it today at MAC store but it was too expensive to purchase, over $30. I will try to find a cheaper option.