October 25, 2014 | 1754 users online

Shampoo - The Body Shop - Rainforest Balance Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by Bethtom87

SOOOO BAD! It's thick and seeing as it's for oily hair makes your hair greasy. I am a real fan of the body shop and thought I would try the shampoo, it was free as it was my birthday but that's where the positives end!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by jessijesse

one of the worst shampoo I ever tried. I bought this product because of the ingredients and the claims that it's free from harmful chemicals. I had high expectation when I bought and used this product for the first time, yet I was dissapointed. Upon using this product, it didn't lather (sls free). after rinslng, this shampoo made my hair dry and frizzy. I was horrified. I thought it was just the initial process that detoxification started to get rid all the harmful chemicals that I've used. I was wrong! within 3 days, my head was oilier than ever and develop pimples which were painful! this shampoo suppposed to be for people with oily hair, yet it made my hair very oily.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2013 8:53:00 AM More reviews by cocopuffx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't like this shampoo at all. even a small amount strips my slightly oily hair. I could practically hear the squeaky sound when I ran a finger down my hair in the shower, that's how dry it was. The bottle is really hard to squeeze too. The smell is very light and doesn't stay. I really wanted to love this shampoo because it's from the body shop, one of my favorites, but to me, it was a disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2013 6:57:00 PM More reviews by dc1407

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me give you a quick rundown... greasy roots, dry ends (due to straightening a little too often - you know you do it too!)

I used to use Aussie hair products. Used them for years and swore by them (probably for the amazing smell). The only thing is, I'd have to wash my hair religiously every other day. That didn't bother me for the most part, except that if my schedule didn't allow me to wash my hair every other day, I'd freak out. If I used dry shampoo, I might've been able to squeeze a third day out of it, but I'm not too fond of dry shampoo. I digress...

I was watching a Youtube beauty video and one of the girls had a similar hair type to mine and recommended this shampoo. I had one of those why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments. Seriously... why have I never looked into finding a shampoo designed for oily hair?!

Anyway, popped into The Body Shop and bought this for 4. Decided against the conditioner, since I only use conditioner on my ends anyway and thought that may dry out my hair further (since it's designed for oily hair) so I went for The Body Shop's banana conditioner.

I can't complain about the price. For the amount you get in the bottle, it's reasonable (I was used to paying that much for Aussie products anyway). The design of the bottle is weird though... you have to squeeze it pretty hard to get any product out because it's such a thick, gloopy product. It's fine at the start of the bottle, but becomes a bit of a chore when it starts heading towards the empty side.

Now, the only annoying bit about this product is that the directions state to pour the shampoo into your hands, add water to your hands and lather in between your hands before putting on your hair. Annoying and difficult, since I have a lot of hair (kind of nipple-length, but very thick) so I have to use a good amount of product and trying to add water and mix in my hands without losing half of the product just becomes a bit of a military operation. In the end I've just learnt to do that bit in two parts - once for my roots and once for my ends.

I know for some, that'd immediately become a deal-breaker. However, not for me. Reason being that the shampoo doesn't lather because it contains no sulphates - which is a GOOD thing because sulphates are bad for your hair. Because I'd rather have a sulphate-free shampoo, I'll live with the lack of lather and the annoying application process. Clearly the two are mutually exclusive. Whatever... can't have it all!

The smell is... blah. It's not offensive, but it doesn't smell like I've just poured a fruit garden onto my head, either. It's just... there. Use a great-smelling conditioner and you won't have to worry about it.

The results? So far so good! I definitely noticed the difference in greasyness from the first use. I could probably comfortably wash my hair every 3 days now and it doesn't start to look too shiny on day 2, either. Win/win.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by lykomghaii

This product is good for people with oily hair, or even hair that is damaged. I've been using the Tresemme Naturals line for quite a while, until I tried this shampoo. My hair is truly oily, and at the end of the day you can FEEL the oil on the back of my head. My friends would always point out my greasy hair, and tell me that I should treat it better. This product made my hair from ugly/dry/oily, to light and my hair had more moisture with just one use. You can tell the difference after your hair dries. My only concern is that, sometimes there isn't lather and all of the oils don't get washed out, and I'm left with more oily (ugh). I have to use a lot of the shampoo (a palm full?), in order for my hair to be clean. Also, as you use more product, it gets harder to squeeze out of the bottle. This was the deal breaker for me, I have to waste so much product just to get all the sticky oil out. But overall, this product is worth buying, and I'll probably buy another one if I can't find a better balancing shampoo. It also smells good and it's natural!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by ccheellsseeaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love the shampoo, hate the conditioner.

I only shampoo my roots and it works really well because my hair get so oily but i definitely follow up with a good conditioner (I like Redken All Soft Heavy Cream) and i make sure to not go near my roots with it.

Again though, the conditioner is total garbage.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Rosse86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm glad TBS is finally getting rid of sulfates and parabens in some of their products. This shampoo is affordable and pretty decent, but sometimes doesn't cleanse super well if you have greasy hair that hasn't been washed recently, and you may need to shampoo twice. It also still contains a lot of unnatural ingredients, so there are other brands I'll rather use.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by sharonsevea

I have an oily scalp and I usually wash my hair on alternative days but after using this shampoo I can go another extra day without washing my hair as it keeps my hair very clean. Unlike other shampoo it does not weigh down my long thick black hair.Other reviewers mentioned the feeling of dryness but I have not experienced any dryness ..this could be due to the fact I use it with the body shop banana conditioner which is lovely as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by msTaps

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This shampoo is meant for oily scalp. If you don't have oily scalp, stay away from it because it will strip your scalp of its natural protective oils. That said, for those of is who need daily washing, using this shampoo actually lets us get away with 2nd day hair and that's almost uncalled for if you have oily scalp. Do use a moisturizing conditioner at the ends, away from your scalp. Its also great for deep cleansing if you can't use it daily and great for washing stubborn liquid foundation off brushes. Also, make sure you follow the directions : small amount on your palm, make it bubble with a bit of water BEFORE applying to soaked hair. Dont apply the product directly from the bottle to your scalp as all the body shop shampoos are very concentrated. Also SLS-free shampoos have little lather because there are none of the sudsing detergents found in regular shampoos, those are the stuff that builds up and dries out our hair. I hope it helps. On any case, if you still can't use it on your hair, your make up brushes can use it :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2012 9:35:00 AM More reviews by dilllll90

I like this product, I have oily scalp and thick dark hair, this shampoo, I can see, it's not for dry or damaged hair, but for oily hair, this works fine for me.

And another major reason for me to keep using it is: shampoo has no silicones, most of the drugstore shampoo does, silicones does make hair appear to be sooth and fine, but it also damages hair continuously, I quit using drugstore shampoo for about a year now, and my hair is getting significant improvement, can say never has this kind of quality before. So just for no silicones sake, I'll keep purchasing the body shop shampoos.