October 21, 2014 | 1911 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 10:43:00 AM More reviews by willow1992

There is no miracle cure for acne, but this is the closet thing so far. This lasts a fairly long time and is relatively inexpensive compared to all the fancy chemical acne products. This has natural ingredients, and is much better for you than all the other harsh acne products.

This product literally seems to just soak up all the oil from your face, and has helped me to dry up acne much quicker. I still get pimples, nothing will cure me, I have tried everything, and this is the product that I feel works the best and keeps my skin reasonable.

Rub it on your face and let it sit for a good thirty seconds. It is also mildly exfoliating without being harsh.

Will continue to rebuy

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by greenidentity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

There's not a lot I can say about Coal Face that hasn't already been articulated by many reviewers here. But I still wanted to leavea review, becasue Coal Face was such an unlikely HG product for me for several reasons:

-Coal Face is marketed towards those with oily or combo skin
-The scent is not appealing to many people

I have combo skin in the summer, dry skin during all other seasons. I use Coal Face year-round, but will reduce my use of it during the winter. Some of my main skin problems are:

-redness
-hormonal breakouts
-dull skin tone

Coal Face reduces all of these. I've tried many Lush face cleansers, and the ones that are usually marketed for redness/acne have Calamine in them (Fresh Farmacy), which my skin hates. The smell of Coal face is unique, but I have grown to love it. It's very earthy, with a little black licorice. There are some pretty strong granules in this. Even though they are sparse, they may be too harsh for very sensitive skin. For my redness and acne though, it has no adverse effects at all.

If you tend towards VERY dry/tight skin, I would avoid this. If you have dry skin, but use a decent moisturizer that you trust, I would highly recommend trying this out, especially if you have the weird combination of acne + dry skin.

The packaging leaves something to be desired. You can buy soap tins at Lush, but I just buy plastic soap containers that latch shut for cheaper instead. Over time, this product will soften when exposed to a moist environment, but this does not change the effectiveness of the product in itself. Therefore, the longevity of this product is excellent.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Law08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

ok first of all the smell of this is solo different, its odd at first but I'm addicted to it, i adore it, i use this on my entire body face to toes its amazing even on my dry skin! this is a good alternative to dark angels imo. buy this really! its solo fab! and lasts forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by mkmkmkmkmk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coalface has been my favourite facial cleanser for almost eight years, and I don't think I could ever use anything else. I have very sensitive combination skin (and sometimes I get small patches of eczema), and I use this in my morning shower and as a cleanser before bed. Note: I always moisturize my face after (no toner).

I can't really remember what this soap was like when I first used it since it was so long ago, but I think it took at least a week for my skin to adjust to this cleanser. Now, I rarely ever have blemishes. I've also noticed that it calms down my skin significantly, and my skin is immediately much smoother after using it. Dry skin tends to rub right off in the shower after using Coalface, too, and I think it's the actual soap and not just the coal exfoliator bits. However, you definitely have to moisturize after as it's very, very drying.

I've grown to really like the smell, it's very natural and not at all artificial or chemical-y; I'm not sure how to describe it besides mildly herbal and earthy? I also love that it's black, but I do NOT like the weird glitter/shimmer with which they coat the outside; I'm not really a fan of putting stuff in/on cosmetics just for looks, but Lush can be a little over-the-top sometimes, and it's only on the surface.

Tips:
I buy a large chunk of it and only cut off thin slices, which helps the bar last much longer. A Lush salesperson also mentioned that keeping it in the freezer helps to preserve it, too.
Lather it on and don't rinse it off for at least 10-30 seconds. I find this helps the cleansing and exfoliation process.
Do not get it in your eyes! It might be more natural but it hurts like hell.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2014 2:31:00 AM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have had only good experiences with the LUSH face cleansers I have used and this is no exception. I decided to try a new one when I ran out of Dark Angels and settled on Coalface. It smells like dirt! But I don't mind, it's just earthy. I like the fact that this one lathers up, and it also has tiny beads for exfoliating purposes but very gentle. This one does make my face feel tight after use but I always use moisturiser anyway. It has kept my face clear.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 2:03:00 AM More reviews by MariaKayeyMF

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As I'm acne-prone I try things cautiously and cynically. This soap is just great, I use it in the evening to get rid of makeup and it cleans so well and I've had barely any pimples for months. Don't forget to hydrate with something after!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Princessngirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have thick, oily, aging skin. So far, I am loving this soap! I use it twice a day and it cleans my face quite well without making it squeaky clean. It smells yummy. My pores seem clearer and the soap seems to have done a very good job of erasing all my makeup, something regular soap does not always do. I haven't had the drying effects others have experienced.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by lipstickandleather

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

it does work, but use sparingly!

lather up the bar and use it directly on the areas of your face which are oily. i recommend you use coal face once a week, maybe twice. it does a good job of clearing up blemishes and shrinking pimples. i noticed though, if you use it too often it will dry out your skin and make it flaky.

a small piece will last you a long time, so the price is fine, just don't buy a huge chunk.

as for people who say that it leaves black residue on your skin.. well, it's charcoal! of course it will! just wash gently until it's all gone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

This was the first face product I used from Lush and I loved it! I received a small sample slice in an order I placed, and thought I'd give it a shot. The smell grew on me. It has a hint of a licorice scent, which I usually don't care for, but when I lathered it on my face, it smelled like wood and a campfire burning. Smelled great to me! When I rinsed it off, my face felt literally squeaky clean. I know this is marketed for oilier skin types, but as someone with combination skin including drier cheeks, I found that it didn't dry any part of my face out, and soaked up the excess oil that gathers on my t-zone. I'd definitely buy a full size bar of this, and this makes me grateful that Lush is so diverse in the samples they give out! Will definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by mscourty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought Coal Face because it was on special and also got a sample of Fresh Farmacy which was not. I was having a breakout and hoped that Fresh Farmacy would help, but the best help has been coal face! My face has cleared up significantly in the ~1 week that I've been using it.

Coal Face is quite drying and so is probably more suitable for oily skin types. The surface is also quite rough and I imagine this would make it unsuitable for sensitive skin.

Some reviewers don't like the smell - I found it to be fairly neutral in that it didn't smell the way that you *expect* Lush products to smell, but it really wasn't bad at all.