July 23, 2014 | 1845 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by mkmkmkmkmk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coalface has been my favourite facial cleanser for almost eight years, and I don't think I could ever use anything else. I have very sensitive combination skin (and sometimes I get small patches of eczema), and I use this in my morning shower and as a cleanser before bed. Note: I always moisturize my face after (no toner).

I can't really remember what this soap was like when I first used it since it was so long ago, but I think it took at least a week for my skin to adjust to this cleanser. Now, I rarely ever have blemishes. I've also noticed that it calms down my skin significantly, and my skin is immediately much smoother after using it. Dry skin tends to rub right off in the shower after using Coalface, too, and I think it's the actual soap and not just the coal exfoliator bits. However, you definitely have to moisturize after as it's very, very drying.

I've grown to really like the smell, it's very natural and not at all artificial or chemical-y; I'm not sure how to describe it besides mildly herbal and earthy? I also love that it's black, but I do NOT like the weird glitter/shimmer with which they coat the outside; I'm not really a fan of putting stuff in/on cosmetics just for looks, but Lush can be a little over-the-top sometimes, and it's only on the surface.

Tips:
I buy a large chunk of it and only cut off thin slices, which helps the bar last much longer. A Lush salesperson also mentioned that keeping it in the freezer helps to preserve it, too.
Lather it on and don't rinse it off for at least 10-30 seconds. I find this helps the cleansing and exfoliation process.
Do not get it in your eyes! It might be more natural but it hurts like hell.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2014 2:31:00 AM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have had only good experiences with the LUSH face cleansers I have used and this is no exception. I decided to try a new one when I ran out of Dark Angels and settled on Coalface. It smells like dirt! But I don't mind, it's just earthy. I like the fact that this one lathers up, and it also has tiny beads for exfoliating purposes but very gentle. This one does make my face feel tight after use but I always use moisturiser anyway. It has kept my face clear.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 2:03:00 AM More reviews by MariaKayeyMF

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As I'm acne-prone I try things cautiously and cynically. This soap is just great, I use it in the evening to get rid of makeup and it cleans so well and I've had barely any pimples for months. Don't forget to hydrate with something after!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Princessngirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have thick, oily, aging skin. So far, I am loving this soap! I use it twice a day and it cleans my face quite well without making it squeaky clean. It smells yummy. My pores seem clearer and the soap seems to have done a very good job of erasing all my makeup, something regular soap does not always do. I haven't had the drying effects others have experienced.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by lipstickandleather

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

it does work, but use sparingly!

lather up the bar and use it directly on the areas of your face which are oily. i recommend you use coal face once a week, maybe twice. it does a good job of clearing up blemishes and shrinking pimples. i noticed though, if you use it too often it will dry out your skin and make it flaky.

a small piece will last you a long time, so the price is fine, just don't buy a huge chunk.

as for people who say that it leaves black residue on your skin.. well, it's charcoal! of course it will! just wash gently until it's all gone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

This was the first face product I used from Lush and I loved it! I received a small sample slice in an order I placed, and thought I'd give it a shot. The smell grew on me. It has a hint of a licorice scent, which I usually don't care for, but when I lathered it on my face, it smelled like wood and a campfire burning. Smelled great to me! When I rinsed it off, my face felt literally squeaky clean. I know this is marketed for oilier skin types, but as someone with combination skin including drier cheeks, I found that it didn't dry any part of my face out, and soaked up the excess oil that gathers on my t-zone. I'd definitely buy a full size bar of this, and this makes me grateful that Lush is so diverse in the samples they give out! Will definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by mscourty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought Coal Face because it was on special and also got a sample of Fresh Farmacy which was not. I was having a breakout and hoped that Fresh Farmacy would help, but the best help has been coal face! My face has cleared up significantly in the ~1 week that I've been using it.

Coal Face is quite drying and so is probably more suitable for oily skin types. The surface is also quite rough and I imagine this would make it unsuitable for sensitive skin.

Some reviewers don't like the smell - I found it to be fairly neutral in that it didn't smell the way that you *expect* Lush products to smell, but it really wasn't bad at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2014 8:46:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Did nothing for my skin at all but I do prefer this over dark angels.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2013 3:08:00 AM More reviews by GGnumber1fan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

As I am writing this review, I am currently using the LUSH Coalface cleanser as part of my morning and night skin care routine. I am obsessed with the way this cleanser deep cleanses your skin; it literally removes all the oil and dirt sitting in your pores.
At night, I use this with my Clarisonic Mia and I notice that my skin is definitely super "squeeky-clean" afterwards. This cleanser removes makeup pretty well, but I still have to use a makeup wipe or some sort of makeup remover beforehand. If it did completely remove makeup, I would have given this product a 5 out of 5 instantly.
I initially picked up this cleanser as I had tried other cleanses from LUSH such as Fresh Farmacy, Herbalism, and Bûche De Noël and had always been very disappointed in the results. I thought I would give it a shot as this cleanser is for people with combination to oily skin types, which I definitely fall under as I have very oily skin. I think the price is very reasonable; $13.95 per 100g, and that amount will last you from three to four or five months, which is crazy! You definitely do not need to purchase anymore than that unless you were going to stock up or separate it in multiple pieces for other people or whatnot.
The charcoal in this product actually really helps to absorb the oil deep within the pores, which has helped my acne from reoccurring so often. Additionally, there is also liquorice extract in here as the first ingredient, and what this ingredient does is it helps fade away post-acne marks (which I have).
It doesn't have a very strong fragrance to it, but at the same time, it doesn't smell necessarily that "good". It doesn't have a sweet smell or citrusy smell either; rather, it smells kind of just like.. soap. It's kind of hard to describe. But it isn't unbearable.
How I use it is I wet my face first with warm water, and I rub the bar on the palm of my hand until it makes a foam, and then I massage that foam over my face in circular motions for around 30 seconds. Then, I rinse, and pat dry, like normal. It deep cleanses so well that you can literally feel your skin "breathe" after washing your skin with it; it's pretty fascinating.
From all the LUSH cleansers I have used thus far, Coalface is the only one that hasn't broke me out whatsoever and that has actually made somewhat of a difference in my skin. I have been using this for the past three months, and I notice that the texture of my skin is a lot more smooth and soft than what it used to be. I use this cleanser in combination with the Tea Tree Water Toner and the Enzymion Facial Moisturizer, both by LUSH.
If there is one con about this product, it is probably that it does not have packaging to it. It is literally a "naked" product, as LUSH would put it. Which, in a way, is great, as it is more beneficial to the environment, but I would rather it had some sort of an enclosed packaging to keep the bar clean from the bacteria possibly floating around in my bathroom. Other than that, I'm satisfied. I would repurchase this and I do recommend this product for individuals with oiler skins.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Cdutton

I use this as my Morning soap, I first use my Clarisonic with the Philosophy Purity cleanser and while my face is all lathered up I grab my Coal Face lather it in my hands and rub it in with the sudsy mess on my face and rinse. As soon as I pat dry my face I instantly notice how mattified my face is. Not dry but just very matte. I then proceed to continue the rest oft morning routine. It pulls all of the crap out of my face. And for how oily my skin is, this soap has really made a difference.