LUSH coal face soap

3.8

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Water (Aqua) , Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) , Glycerine , Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Sorbitol , Fragrance , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus) , Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Powdered Charcoal , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Farnesol , Geraniol , Linalool , Silver Lustre (Potassium silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Iron hydroxides) .

I bought this because I wear a hairpiece and this removes oils from the skin very well. It helps the adhesive to stick to my skin and when I remove my hairpiece, it doesn't have grease/oil on it.

Do not buy this. It has too much fragrance (and yet still smells disgusting?) to be anything but irritating for your skin. Bar cleansers have the capacity to break you out because of the ingredients that keep them in bar form, and it has coconut oil which is highly comedogenic. All around a very disappointing product from Lush as I find many of their face products to be.
I tried it once because I'll give anything at least one go and it left my skin so dry and irritated I had to pull out my heaviest moisturizer (cetaphil moisturizing cream) to fix the problem and that stuff is usually too heavy for my face. It didn't remove my makeup and I was too scared of it to use it around my eyes. I wanted to like it because it was a gift from my sister but I can't do it, it's just that bad.

Got the soap for Christmas and I'd wanted it for ages. The small and look attracted me. Although the price is high, since having it I have found it worth it. My skin is very oily and I have acne. My skins is sensation and drys amazing fast ( sadly) but this soap seems to pamper me! In small amount ( you don't need alot - bonus!) My acne has cleared Straight away. Just wet the bar and rub between your hands and rub on your face. Although it is not moisturising it does not dry.I already had my makeup took of, a thought if using to get make up repeat cleaning to allow it to get into your skin. It clears my oily skin and leaves it that way for hours ! I would recommend!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've tried coal face multiple times over the years just because I love the smell so much but I always end up wasting my money. On my normal skin this soap works well for around three days before my skins starts to get dry and flaky. On very oily skin perhaps this would be just the thing it needs, but for me I found it way too harsh. My skin always looks super bright and lifted for a few days after using this soap but that doesn't last long before it turns into a tight and flaky mess. I never saw any improvement with my blemishes whilst using this soap but it didn't cause any either. I saw no difference in my blackheads or blocked pores. Another thing I will add is that there are tiny pieces of coal deposited throughout the soap. Lush claim these aid in exfoliation but personally I found them far too scratchy and painful. If you are going to give this soap a try I'd suggest creating a lather in your hands and flicking those tiny coal pieces down the sink before you go at your face to avoid any 'injury' to your skin. Lush prices have been rising significantly over the past few years but this still isn't one of the most expensive face soaps on the market. If the concept interests you it's definitely worth a try, just proceed with caution.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love love love this!! Only have around 2-3 blemishes and coalface has cleared it up within less than a week. I have oily skin and this controls the oil so well! People have commented how nice my skin has looked lately! Remember to moisturise afterwards :)

Since the reviews of this product are pretty well split right down the middle between glowingly positive and completely craptastic, I made sure I gave this a decent trial period before reviewing it. Note: I'm currently pregnant which causes me to suffer from hormonal breakouts. In addition, it's summer and it's really humid out. I'd say I'm "glowing" but anyone can see I'm just an oily mess.

I've been using this cleanser nightly for a month now and I haven't noticed any of the issues other reviewers have mentioned. It doesn't dry out my skin, it doesn't clog my pores, I don't find it too scratchy, and it doesn't make my skin break out worse. I'm not going to say I'll stick with this forever, but it works for my skin right now. It doesn't make my face look perfect (hormonal breakouts just aren't that easy), but I do feel it helps.

The smell is kind of earthy. I don't mind it, but if you don't like that sort of thing, you might want to reconsider. It doesn't linger on the skin, though.

How I use it: After removing my face and eye makeup with Lush's Ultrabland, I lather up my chunk of Coalface between my hands (Don't rub it right on your face. Just don't.) and apply it to my face, massaging gently for about 30 seconds, then I rinse it right off. I follow with toner and moisturizer.

Some bits of advice:
-As with all solid soap cleaners, don't rub the bar right on your face. Lather it up between your clean hands and apply the lather only to your face. I think people who say it's too scratchy are rubbing it right on.
-Don't use the whole bar at once. Cut off a chunk and keep it on a soap dish to try when not in use.
-Don't keep the remainder of your bar in the paper it comes wrapped in. Put it in a plastic baggie or wrap in cling film so it doesn't dry out.
-If you wear makeup, remove it before cleansing. Always!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have severely oily, acne-prone skin. I thought that if it could control my oil, that could reduce my acne. That unfortunately wasn't the case. Firstly, after using it my face felt soo tight and irritated. No cleanser should ever strip your skin of its oils that much. Secondly, this did nothing for my oily skin. No improvements whatsoever, even after using it every night for almost 2 months. Lastly, and I can't be completely sure it was this product, but I developed impacted pores, which I'd never had (that severely) before. Read a previous review about the ingredients being crap, and I agree - Coconut oil & sodium lauryl sulfate are the ones that I can easily recognize as comedogenic. Maybe it does work wonders for some people, but I'm tossing it. For added measure, it doesn't smell all that great.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I asked for samples of products for oily skin last time I was at LUSH & they gave me Coal Face soap & Vanishing Creme. Safe to say I'm obsessed w this combo & I am buying a full sized version of both of those & the tea tree astringent I have not tried yet but my skin loves Coal Face. I've been really matte with this, it's amazing. I lather it in my hands then apply it to my face massaging it in & avoiding eye area. Then I let it sit for one minute. I do this in the mornings & it makes me much less greasy oily! Then PM I use a Pink Magic Eraser makeup remover cloths (it does not use product! These are amazing!) then I wash my face w Coal Face & use Dickensens Witch Hazel & vanishing cream (when I get this sample used up then will use Clinique Dramafically Diff Moist Gel or Physicians Formula Argan Oil). I cannot wait til I can buy these 3 LUSH items but I'm conserving my dear samples. If u have oily skin this is the bomb! Not to be missed!! This is the best cleanser I have ever tried. It smells loamy. It's not a deal breaker.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I got this as a sample, but I 5 lippie-d the price because for the size of the bar, it can last a long time. My sample was only a cm thick, maybe an inch long, and it's lasted a month or so. That's a good gauge of longevity.

I love this for it's deep cleansing properties. I get a clean smooth face after a long, hot country day with my sweat and makeup caked on. I use this mostly at night, but sometimes I use it in the morning when I get really oily and really bad zits.

I dunno where the black head comments are coming from, but this has become just as much a HG item as my Ultrabland. More product for the buck, too!!

1 lippie for packaging because it's so hard to keep it from getting soggy. I dry it off with my own towel to keep from wasting product, but I wish I didn't have to do so.

I wanted to love you coalface, but you ruined everything.

I wanted to be one of those reviewers who did not get so many blackheads from using this. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I also kept breaking out (not too much, but moderately), and thought it was my moisturizer. I changed my moisturizer about three times, and the problem remained. That's when I took a look at the ingredients. Coconut oil. Great. That's what's causing all these breakouts!

I don't understand why they'd use a oil with a high comedogenic rating. I also noticed it contains sodium lauryl sulfate, which they claim is a "safe synthetic". Er... let's agree to disagree.

This cleanser will give you that squeaky clean feeling, that some may not like. If you have dry skin, don't even think of buying this. Well, if you really want to then just don't use it everyday.

I don't recommend leaving this in your shower. I wish it came with appropriate packaging, but oh well. I used a open soap tray (or whatever it's called) and allowed coalface to air dry between uses.

I'm going to be exchanging this, and giving LUSH another try. I do not recommend coalface.