March 2, 2015 | 1078 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2015 10:55:00 PM More reviews by witchswamp

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Coalface is my current go-to cleanser and has been for a while. The smell was pretty odd at first but I got used to it rather quickly (I actually love it now). I can't say this nescessarily cleared up my skin, but what seals the deal for me is that gets rid of my makeup and helps reduce my oiliness. Coalface can be drying so it's best to use a good moisturizer if your skin isn't as oily. It also lasts a fairly long time if you cut the bar into smaller blocks!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2015 9:59:00 AM More reviews by blairxbianca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Yet another Lush product that claims to clear your skin, but actually makes it worse.
I have oily and sensitive skin and was looking for a product that was natural and wouldn't irritate/ break me out. This definitely made my face red and irritated, and the next morning two new pimples. I'm on antibiotics for my acne and had clear skin for some months now, so I was surprised this product made me break out over night. That says a lot that even a powerful antibiotic can't contain coal face from breaking me out. Imagine if I wasn't on an antibiotic! Acne central!
This may work for some, everyone is different, but there are so many other choices out there for half the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2015 5:44:00 AM More reviews by eliciamckinney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First things first never get this in your eyes. I know your not supposed to get any kind of soap in your eyes but this soap especially! Because it BURNS! Anyway I have an oily t-zone and acne prone skin. I went into the lush store for the first time and decided to give this a try. After one use of this soap it cleared up my skin right away. I noticed after using it a couple of weeks my skin stayed clear for the most part. I did however still get some small cystic acne pimples but the tiny acne pimples vanished. I love this soap and would recommend it to any one with oily acne prone skin. overall my skin is more clear than it has been in years and I love how it also exfoliates your skin. (I use this along with the tea tree toner)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2015 6:18:00 PM More reviews by Cecerra

I brought coalface on a whim while shopping in LUSh cos ive heard alot about it and i really wanted to try a charcoal soap. And on the first night i was AmAzedd!! I was breaking out on ym forehead and coalface instantly reduced them to small white bumps by the time i was out of the shower. Ive been using everyday for a few months now and i dont think it's as effective as it was in the first week but i still feel like it works and it helps control my acne. The fact that it comes unpackaged is great environmentally but the only thing is that it sofens up under high humidity so i reccommend cutting it up into really small pieces so it lasts longer. It melts away really fast in contact with water too but you dont really need much for your faceso it lasts really long. YOu should be leaving it on your face for around 1 minute before taking it off so the soap can absorb the oil off your face which is alos how i think reduces the acne. Unlike other Lush cleansers it leaves my face feeling a bit squeaky clean but its kind of expected as it is supposed to absorb the oil off your face. I'm really happy with this product and i think it's done everything I hoped it wld. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 10:51:00 PM More reviews by CarlyNicole

Coalface is a life saviour for me. After coming off the pill, I experienced really bad acne, constantly oily face with the occasional eczema. I was hesitant to use Coalface as I was worried my face would dry out completely.

The girls at Lush gave me a sample before I commited to buying - it's safe to say i'm now HOOKED.

My skin cleared up instantly, yes it can be a little drying, however used with Lush's Vanishing Cream Moisturiser my skin has never looked better.

The smell may not be plesant to others, however I really don't mind the smell - it smells like black licorice. The texture is a little grainy (i'm guessing tiny bits of Coal) - However, doesnt irritate my skin.

I find it works best to apply directly on your skin, rather than lathering in your hands. I use this on my chest as well as I was starting to get a few pimples there since stopping contraception. My skin is 97% clear now!

I wrote an email to the head of Lush, thanking them for this product.

A true life changer (for me)

Lush - You've done it again.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2014 4:09:00 AM More reviews by Nicole13Marie

Coalface is the first product I ever tried from LUSH. It is a solid cleanser bar, which I love. I just rub it over my whole face once or twice (which doesn't use up much of the bar at all), then work it into a nice rich lather. The texture is creamy and has just the tiniest bit of grit to it, which is nice for exfoliation, but very subtle and not enough to irritate my skin. It also has a wonderful earthy smell--probably my absolute favorite part.

I have slightly oily, very acne-prone skin. From the very first use, Coalface brought my existing pimples to heads, helped loosen my blackheads, and reduced redness. It also left me with a nice matte finish. Be careful not to rub it in too long--that can give you on over-dry, squeaky-clean feel. I usually rub it in for about 40-50 seconds.

Used twice a day with warm water, Coalface did not completely clear up my sin, but the results it did give me were immediate and much better than other skin cleansers I have tried. I didn't buy the full size (3.5 oz bar), I think I bought about 1.5 oz just to start off with. It lasts a LONG time and doesn't take much product for each application.

I will DEFINITELY be buying this product again and sticking with it for a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 10:43:00 AM More reviews by willow1992

There is no miracle cure for acne, but this is the closet thing so far. This lasts a fairly long time and is relatively inexpensive compared to all the fancy chemical acne products. This has natural ingredients, and is much better for you than all the other harsh acne products.

This product literally seems to just soak up all the oil from your face, and has helped me to dry up acne much quicker. I still get pimples, nothing will cure me, I have tried everything, and this is the product that I feel works the best and keeps my skin reasonable.

Rub it on your face and let it sit for a good thirty seconds. It is also mildly exfoliating without being harsh.

Will continue to rebuy

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by greenidentity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

There's not a lot I can say about Coal Face that hasn't already been articulated by many reviewers here. But I still wanted to leavea review, becasue Coal Face was such an unlikely HG product for me for several reasons:

-Coal Face is marketed towards those with oily or combo skin
-The scent is not appealing to many people

I have combo skin in the summer, dry skin during all other seasons. I use Coal Face year-round, but will reduce my use of it during the winter. Some of my main skin problems are:

-redness
-hormonal breakouts
-dull skin tone

Coal Face reduces all of these. I've tried many Lush face cleansers, and the ones that are usually marketed for redness/acne have Calamine in them (Fresh Farmacy), which my skin hates. The smell of Coal face is unique, but I have grown to love it. It's very earthy, with a little black licorice. There are some pretty strong granules in this. Even though they are sparse, they may be too harsh for very sensitive skin. For my redness and acne though, it has no adverse effects at all.

If you tend towards VERY dry/tight skin, I would avoid this. If you have dry skin, but use a decent moisturizer that you trust, I would highly recommend trying this out, especially if you have the weird combination of acne + dry skin.

The packaging leaves something to be desired. You can buy soap tins at Lush, but I just buy plastic soap containers that latch shut for cheaper instead. Over time, this product will soften when exposed to a moist environment, but this does not change the effectiveness of the product in itself. Therefore, the longevity of this product is excellent.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Law08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

ok first of all the smell of this is solo different, its odd at first but I'm addicted to it, i adore it, i use this on my entire body face to toes its amazing even on my dry skin! this is a good alternative to dark angels imo. buy this really! its solo fab! and lasts forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by mkmkmkmkmk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coalface has been my favourite facial cleanser for almost eight years, and I don't think I could ever use anything else. I have very sensitive combination skin (and sometimes I get small patches of eczema), and I use this in my morning shower and as a cleanser before bed. Note: I always moisturize my face after (no toner).

I can't really remember what this soap was like when I first used it since it was so long ago, but I think it took at least a week for my skin to adjust to this cleanser. Now, I rarely ever have blemishes. I've also noticed that it calms down my skin significantly, and my skin is immediately much smoother after using it. Dry skin tends to rub right off in the shower after using Coalface, too, and I think it's the actual soap and not just the coal exfoliator bits. However, you definitely have to moisturize after as it's very, very drying.

I've grown to really like the smell, it's very natural and not at all artificial or chemical-y; I'm not sure how to describe it besides mildly herbal and earthy? I also love that it's black, but I do NOT like the weird glitter/shimmer with which they coat the outside; I'm not really a fan of putting stuff in/on cosmetics just for looks, but Lush can be a little over-the-top sometimes, and it's only on the surface.

Tips:
I buy a large chunk of it and only cut off thin slices, which helps the bar last much longer. A Lush salesperson also mentioned that keeping it in the freezer helps to preserve it, too.
Lather it on and don't rinse it off for at least 10-30 seconds. I find this helps the cleansing and exfoliation process.
Do not get it in your eyes! It might be more natural but it hurts like hell.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No