LUSH coal face soap

3.9

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Water (Aqua) , Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) , Glycerine , Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Sorbitol , Fragrance , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus) , Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Powdered Charcoal , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Farnesol , Geraniol , Linalool , Silver Lustre (Potassium silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Iron hydroxides) .

on 8/17/2015 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have severely oily, acne-prone skin. I thought that if it could control my oil, that could reduce my acne. That unfortunately wasn't the case. Firstly, after using it my face felt soo tight and irritated. No cleanser should ever strip your skin of its oils that much. Secondly, this did nothing for my oily skin. No improvements whatsoever, even after using it every night for almost 2 months. Lastly, and I can't be completely sure it was this product, but I developed impacted pores, which I'd never had (that severely) before. Read a previous review about the ingredients being crap, and I agree - Coconut oil, sodium lauryl sulfate, and sodium chloride are the ones that I can easily recognize as comedogenic. Maybe it does work wonders for some people, but I'm tossing it. For added measure, it doesn't smell all that great.

on 8/15/2015 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I asked for samples of products for oily skin last time I was at LUSH & they gave me Coal Face soap & Vanishing Creme. Safe to say I'm obsessed w this combo & I am buying a full sized version of both of those & the tea tree astringent I have not tried yet but my skin loves Coal Face. I've been really matte with this, it's amazing. I lather it in my hands then apply it to my face massaging it in & avoiding eye area. Then I let it sit for one minute. I do this in the mornings & it makes me much less greasy oily! Then PM I use a Pink Magic Eraser makeup remover cloths (it does not use product! These are amazing!) then I wash my face w Coal Face & use Dickensens Witch Hazel & vanishing cream (when I get this sample used up then will use Clinique Dramafically Diff Moist Gel or Physicians Formula Argan Oil). I cannot wait til I can buy these 3 LUSH items but I'm conserving my dear samples. If u have oily skin this is the bomb! Not to be missed!! This is the best cleanser I have ever tried. It smells loamy. It's not a deal breaker.

on 8/5/2015 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I got this as a sample, but I 5 lippie-d the price because for the size of the bar, it can last a long time. My sample was only a cm thick, maybe an inch long, and it's lasted a month or so. That's a good gauge of longevity.

I love this for it's deep cleansing properties. I get a clean smooth face after a long, hot country day with my sweat and makeup caked on. I use this mostly at night, but sometimes I use it in the morning when I get really oily and really bad zits.

I dunno where the black head comments are coming from, but this has become just as much a HG item as my Ultrabland. More product for the buck, too!!

1 lippie for packaging because it's so hard to keep it from getting soggy. I dry it off with my own towel to keep from wasting product, but I wish I didn't have to do so.

on 7/18/2015 5:27:00 AM

I wanted to love you coalface, but you ruined everything.

I wanted to be one of those reviewers who did not get so many blackheads from using this. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I also kept breaking out (not too much, but moderately), and thought it was my moisturizer. I changed my moisturizer about three times, and the problem remained. That's when I took a look at the ingredients. Coconut oil. Great. That's what's causing all these breakouts!

I don't understand why they'd use a oil with a high comedogenic rating. I also noticed it contains sodium lauryl sulfate, which they claim is a "safe synthetic". Er... let's agree to disagree.

This cleanser will give you that squeaky clean feeling, that some may not like. If you have dry skin, don't even think of buying this. Well, if you really want to then just don't use it everyday.

I don't recommend leaving this in your shower. I wish it came with appropriate packaging, but oh well. I used a open soap tray (or whatever it's called) and allowed coalface to air dry between uses.

I'm going to be exchanging this, and giving LUSH another try. I do not recommend coalface.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love the concept of this. When I first tried it, it felt a bit rough, but I kept on using it. You really have to wash your face well after using it, because you don't want the left over coal in your pores. I started seeing a big improvement in my face after a week. I have mild blackheads, and litttle annoying pimples. Nothing really works on them and I have to wear a lot of makeup to cover my face. But I am going to keep using this, I think it really does help. I also started using "It Works" hair skin and nails, and this is helping my skin out as well. But so far, I'm liking the coal soap!

on 7/8/2015 11:41:00 AM

I've been using Coal Face for at least 4 years, and it is an absolutely HG product for me. It's the only face soap I've used that actually helped clear up and balance out my combination/acne prone skin. I love that the soap itself has a bit of texture to it, which gives a mild exfoliation effect with each use. Seriously, this stuff is amazing! I use it along with Lush's Tea Tree toner and Vanishing Cream moisturizer, and my face has never looked better.

My only complaint (and really, it's a minor one) is the packaging, or lack thereof. The paper wrapping that the soap comes "packaged" in means the soap dries out if you don't use the whole hunk of it. I've personally remedied that situation by only buying what I need from the brick and mortar Lush store that's within walking distance, but if I was ordering from their online store/buying in bulk to save on shipping, that would be an unfortunate negative experience. I suppose you could always save what you're not using in a plastic bag, and that would fix the problem too.

on 7/8/2015 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I picked up a free sample from LUSH after reading good reviews about how it was great for oily skin. Unfortunately after a couple of uses I developed a lot of blackheads around my cheeks and had some deep and painful spots on my forehead. I'm so glad I didn't waste any money on this! This is not a product that I will be using again.

Only face wash I've ever used that legitimately balanced my combo skin out. This is definitely my HG skin care item. Be sure to keep it in a container.

on 5/29/2015 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my holy grain cleanser. I apply it to my face and can feel the scrubbing effect when rubbing it in. I normally leave it on for a few minutes to soak up the dirt and oil on my skin.

It has helped clear my breakouts and blackheads. And you get quite a bit for the price. I paid AUS $16 a few months ago and have not even used half. I use it morning and night.

The bar is a bit unsanitary and gets over your hands, but I just clean the bar afterwards and store it in a dry place for next time.

Will definitely repurchase when I run out.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Great cleanser that is not tested on animals :)